The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast
Posts 201 to 225 of 274

User Info Menu

I use a 18v without any problems with mine.

Here is a recording from yesterday using it with my AER Compact 60. Recorded from AER direct output.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

We need a proper engineer on here !

but this noise on the audio
    with different power supplies which goes
    away when using a battery .... thing

is something to do with the 'smoothing'
    or otherwise on the DC power output ....

i.e. the output is wavy or spikey

(A battery naturally has a dead flat
    smooth dc output)

but it we need a proper engineer on here !

My JR Barnyard isn't excessively noisy, it adds a small amount of hiss. I'm using a Boss PSA power supply. It's not as noisy as the hum from my large bobbin single coil pickups! That said my LED for the 'boost' side of the preamp is dead which is kind of annoying. That said it's the pedal I use the most. I'm not aware of any easily available alternative for getting octal style tones in a pedal.

User Info Menu

That sounds great man !
    and very CC sounding too
    is that an es150 you solo'ed on there ?

User Info Menu

I'm not talking about hiss, I'm talking about very loud buzzing and other noises. There is some hiss with any power source, and that's not the issue. I don't know what the cause is, I don't have a schematic of the pedal, and probably not the knowledge to find it if I did have one. My LED also burned out, and was replaced by Tavo with a very bright amber LED. It developed other problems at the same time the LED went, and it was fixed, with no explanation of what went wrong. He said it worked when he got it back, so I don't know. I'm not trying to bad-mouth the pedal, it's fine for what it is, but the noise issue is somewhat annoying, because I have to make sure to get the right power supply connected to it. If I get it right, no noise.

User Info Menu

Hey, here's a great example of the Jr. Barnyard in action.
    This was in Dènia, Spain on my Europe trip, guesting with my friend Enric Peidro's Quartet.
    This is my 1937 ES-150 into the JRB into... a Bose L1 Compact speaker array. Crazy, right?

They had rented a Hot Rod Deluxe for me (since I've had such good luck using running the JRB into the efx return on those), but there wasn't really stage space at the first gig for the Deluxe and the Bose L1, which was supposed to be my acoustic amp. On a lark, I plugged the JRB into the Bose, and it sounded great, so we ended up using that for most of the tour to save room in the van.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by campusfive
    Hey, here's a great example of the Jr. Barnyard in action.
    This was in Dènia, Spain on my Europe trip, guesting with my friend Enric Peidro's Quartet.
    This is my 1937 ES-150 into the JRB into... a Bose L1 Compact speaker array. Crazy, right?

They had rented a Hot Rod Deluxe for me (since I've had such good luck using running the JRB into the efx return on those), but there wasn't really stage space at the first gig for the Deluxe and the Bose L1, which was supposed to be my acoustic amp. On a lark, I plugged the JRB into the Bose, and it sounded great, so we ended up using that for most of the tour to save room in the van.

That sounds incredibly good!!!

I'm glad to report, that I got my Boss Power supply in the mail today, and with that one the pedal is finally quiet.
    I still don't really know what's been going on there, but altogether I'm just happy to have it running now.
    The noiselevel with my other power-supplies was that high, it would have made the pedal completely unuseble.

Now the pedal does a great Job with my acoustic amp, and I think I'll be able to put together a great acoustic/electric rig for my Swing Band.

Paul

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Webby
    I'm glad to report, that I got my Boss Power supply in the mail today, and with that one the pedal is finally quiet.
    I still don't really know what's been going on there, but altogether I'm just happy to have it running now.
    The noiselevel with my other power-supplies was that high, it would have made the pedal completely unuseble.
    I usually run the pedal off a VooDoo Labs power block, but today I tried it with a Roland (Boss) PSA-120S "ultra clean" 9-volt adapter. The PSA was unbelievably noisy connected directly to the JB but when I plugged the power supply into my true-bypass tuner pedal and daisy-chained to the JB it was noise-free. The JB was also noise-free when powered by a cheap Behringer 9-volt adapter. YMMV - mine certainly has!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by clebergf
    I use a 18v without any problems with mine.
    So did I for about a year before the JB burned out and had to be rebuilt/replaced. Tavo is now warning to use 9v only, although the pedal description on his site still says 9v or 12v.

User Info Menu

Hi-I took delivery of a Junior Barnyard yesterday. No matter what i do it doesn't seem to change the sound much. My Xotic Soul Driven seems to colour the tone better than this.

What am I doing wrong?

Doug

User Info Menu

I found this which has the Junior Barnyard preamp plus reverb, by forum member Tim Lerch:

User Info Menu

I don't understand what your point is FEP. It's just a video of Tim playing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doug B
    Hi-I took delivery of a Junior Barnyard yesterday. No matter what i do it doesn't seem to change the sound much. My Xotic Soul Driven seems to colour the tone better than this.

What am I doing wrong?

Doug
    What guitar with what pickups into what amp? I get the best results with single coil pickups and a clean solid state amp like a Clarus, SD pedal amp or (best of all) my old Ultrasound.

User Info Menu

I believe the idea of these different preamp are to emulate old Tweed Fenders, Gibson amps and perhaps Rockabilly echo as well. Very nasally type of tone perhaps?

Also maybe they are direct to board type of application where they shine as well.
    Just depends on what you are after, live or recording. There are great replica amps like Victoria Amps, Little Walter,etc. Or just buy an original?

User Info Menu

I don't understand what your point is FEP. It's just a video of Tim playing.
    The description on YouTube of that video:

"This pedal has a great combination of Nocturnes Jr. Barnyard pre- amp and a really cool and unique reverb section. Thanks to Tavo for making this great pedal. The Guitar is made by Barry at Grez Guitars, the Pickups are Lollar 50s Wind P90s. There is a full transcription in Notation and Tab available at timlerch.com"

So, the Jr. Barnyard sounds like that.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pcjazz
    What guitar with what pickups into what amp? I get the best results with single coil pickups and a clean solid state amp like a Clarus, SD pedal amp or (best of all) my old Ultrasound.
    The volume boost is about what you would get from turning a guitar up from say 4-->6 on both. In other words, barely noticeable. I get more of a boost from the xotic super sweet, a clean boost.

I also am using a warmoth partscaster with walnut body and 3 Pete Biltof's Vintage Vibe Charlie Christian pickups. My other guitar is a stock Samick Greg Bennett Royale:

Amp is a 1974 Fender Princeton and a Fender Super Champ x2 run in stereo. I also tried with only one amp in mono.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    The description on YouTube of that video:

"This pedal has a great combination of Nocturnes Jr. Barnyard pre- amp and a really cool and unique reverb section. Thanks to Tavo for making this great pedal. The Guitar is made by Barry at Grez Guitars, the Pickups are Lollar 50s Wind P90s. There is a full transcription in Notation and Tab available at timlerch.com"

So, the Jr. Barnyard sounds like that.

Yes, I already knew how it was supposed to sound, but it doesn't. That's why I started this thread.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jads57
    I believe the idea of these different preamp are to emulate old Tweed Fenders, Gibson amps and perhaps Rockabilly echo as well. Very nasally type of tone perhaps?

Also maybe they are direct to board type of application where they shine as well.
    Just depends on what you are after, live or recording. There are great replica amps like Victoria Amps, Little Walter,etc. Or just buy an original?
    I bought it because it is supposed to give you more of a sound similar to Charlie Christian's old Gibson Octal tube amp. It barely sounds like you turned up the guitar a couple of numbers on the volume knob.

User Info Menu

On mine, there is a lot of boost, but both switches have to be engaged for that. Where are you setting the knobs? Below about 12 o'clock there isn't a lot of effect, and the amount depends a lot on the amp. Some amps are affected more than others, for reasons I don't really understand. I've pretty much quit using mine, and consider it wasted money. Jonathon Stout really likes his, so maybe it's my problem. But you should be getting a lot of boost with the left-hand knob turned up past noon, and the other switch engaged. You don't have to turn the right-hand knob up much to just get boost, but to get the semi-octal sounds you have to crank it past noon. At least that's how mine works, and it may or may not be representative.

User Info Menu

Maybe, just maybe, it's not working properly?

User Info Menu

The OP's may not be. Tavo says mine works as designed.

User Info Menu

The volume boost is about what you would get from turning a guitar up from say 4-->6 on both. In other words, barely noticeable. I get more of a boost from the xotic super sweet, a clean boost.

I also am using a warmoth partscaster with walnut body and 3 Pete Biltof's Vintage Vibe Charlie Christian pickups. My other guitar is a stock Samick Greg Bennett Royale:

Amp is a 1974 Fender Princeton and a Fender Super Champ x2 run in stereo. I also tried with only one amp in mono.
    I assume you are using a 9-volt adapter and going into the instrument input of the amp (not the effects loop). The left hand button needs to be engaged for the pedal to do anything. The boost is on the right hand button. But you are running into tube amps and my experience is mostly with clean solid state amps, where there is a very noticeable (and pleasant) effect on tone and response. I have a Koch tube head but did not find the JB to be much use in front of that. I have guitars with Biltoft CC, Lollar CC and repro DeArmond pickups and all three work very well with the JB into a neutral SS amp. Not so much with humbuckers or more coloured amps.

But as Hammer says, you may have a dud.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    On mine, there is a lot of boost, but both switches have to be engaged for that. Where are you setting the knobs? Below about 12 o'clock there isn't a lot of effect,
    I tried with both switches engaged. Tried setting knobs up, down and all around the town. Didn't make any difference.

and the amount depends a lot on the amp. Some amps are affected more than others, for reasons I don't really understand.
    As i said elsewhere, I'm using a Fender Princeton and/or a Fender Super Champ X2-hardly obscure amps.

I've pretty much quit using mine, and consider it wasted money. Jonathon Stout really likes his, so maybe it's my problem. But you should be getting a lot of boost with the left-hand knob turned up past noon, and the other switch engaged. You don't have to turn the right-hand knob up much to just get boost, but to get the semi-octal sounds you have to crank it past noon. At least that's how mine works, and it may or may not be representative.
    Interesting. Tivo emailed me and asked me to mail it back to him and he'll send me another one. I'm so disappointed right now, I think I'd rather have a refund!

I'll keep the thread posted.

Cheers

Doug
    Last edited by Doug B; 07-02-2020 at 07:08 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    Maybe, just maybe, it's not working properly?
    I would say so-thus this thread.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pcjazz
    I assume you are using a 9-volt adapter and going into the instrument input of the amp (not the effects loop).
    Yes, that's right.

The left hand button needs to be engaged for the pedal to do anything. The boost is on the right hand button.
    I know that.

But you are running into tube amps and my experience is mostly with clean solid state amps, where there is a very noticeable (and pleasant) effect on tone and response. I have a Koch tube head but did not find the JB to be much use in front of that.
    Some of those amp limitations are quite major-I think Tivo should mention that before you buy!

But as Hammer says, you may have a dud.
    Seems like it.