The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Posts 101 to 125 of 274

User Info Menu

Man, I'm frustrated. My El Pescadero arrived on Saturday, but I made the mistake of shipping it to my work, thinking I might be traveling during the week. The office mailroom has had it since then but has not finished sorting the mail that they've received over the weekend. I want my pedal!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by omphalopsychos
    Man, I'm frustrated. My El Pescadero arrived on Saturday, but I made the mistake of shipping it to my work, thinking I might be traveling during the week. The office mailroom has had it since then but has not finished sorting the mail that they've received over the weekend. I want my pedal!
    It's WEDNESDAY.... and they haven't finished sorting SATURDAY'S mail? Sounds like you need some new mail room workers....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ruger9
    It's WEDNESDAY.... and they haven't finished sorting SATURDAY'S mail? Sounds like you need some new mail room workers....
    Got it now! Will plug it in tonight. Might take it to a gig tonight, but it might be an unexpected tone for a night of Cecil Taylor lol.

User Info Menu

Well how does it sound?

User Info Menu

Sounds awesome! The preamp sounds like the barnyard and the reverb sounds great! I'll post some clips over the weekend.

User Info Menu

heads up for nocturne- tavo vega...one of the best most conscientious builders out there...& for a long while now..hes running an auction for st judes childrens cancer hospital..a super worthy cause of course...and a worthy pedal!!

take a look

MYSTERY BRAIN BS-301 in C-fome Sparkle w NOS Toshiba chip, 100% charity auction! | eBay

cheers

User Info Menu

While I wait for my Barnyard, I am facing a bit of an amplification crisis with the big band and might have to buy an amp soon.

One possible plan is to buy a Schertler, play acoustic in one channel and to plug the DeArmond through the Barnyard in another channel. Do you think the Barnyard would work well in such a setting? [As an aside: I spent a but of time with my AudioTechnica lavalier mic through a Schertler Unico and could not get a loud and good acoustic sound without feedback for the life of me … I am getting black looks at rehearsal and I have to figure out something for my acoustic sound. But that’s for another thread].

As funds are low and the need to get something is pressing, I might have to go with something cheaper like a Katana 100… but I wonder if the character of the Baryard would come through a modeler with a DSP?

Any advice is welcome!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by radiofm74
    While I wait for my Barnyard, I am facing a bit of an amplification crisis with the big band and might have to buy an amp soon.

One possible plan is to buy a Schertler, play acoustic in one channel and to plug the DeArmond through the Barnyard in another channel. Do you think the Barnyard would work well in such a setting? [As an aside: I spent a but of time with my AudioTechnica lavalier mic through a Schertler Unico and could not get a loud and good acoustic sound without feedback for the life of me … I am getting black looks at rehearsal and I have to figure out something for my acoustic sound. But that’s for another thread].

As funds are low and the need to get something is pressing, I might have to go with something cheaper like a Katana 100… but I wonder if the character of the Baryard would come through a modeler with a DSP?

Any advice is welcome!

Been wondering about this myself. The problem with modeling amps is they always tend towards the popular, and if there's a "jazz tone" it's an afterthought. Somebody, I think Line 6, did a model of a Gibson EH 150. It's supposedly not very good I'm told. I've through about a Katana but you've got to wade though two acres of metal tones and Joe Bonamassa style blues tones.

User Info Menu

One possible plan is to buy a Schertler, play acoustic in one channel and to plug the DeArmond through the Barnyard in another channel. Do you think the Barnyard would work well in such a setting? [As an aside: I spent a but of time with my AudioTechnica lavalier mic through a Schertler Unico and could not get a loud and good acoustic sound without feedback for the life of me … I am getting black looks at rehearsal and I have to figure out something for my acoustic sound. But that’s for another thread
    This has always been my *exact* experience with lavs lol
    Last edited by christianm77; 12-08-2018 at 08:05 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PB+J
    Been wondering about this myself. The problem with modeling amps is they always tend towards the popular, and if there's a "jazz tone" it's an afterthought. Somebody, I think Line 6, did a model of a Gibson EH 150. It's supposedly not very good I'm told. I've through about a Katana but you've got to wade though two acres of metal tones and Joe Bonamassa style blues tones.
    The Katana does a perfectly good Fender clean tone IMO

Has anyone modelled an EH150 on a Kemper?

User Info Menu

Any advice is welcome!
    Oh hey I've done that, and it sounds like this:

I happen to be selling that Schertler, if you're interested PM me, happy to give you a good deal.

I used a Joyo American sound for the DeArmond in that clip (because I didn't have a barnyard yet).

Clips coming tomorrow guys, been running errands all day!

User Info Menu

Any advice is welcome!
    I have a Barnyard and 2 Schertlers (Unico and David) and a DeArmond-equipped archtop. While I have been very happy with the Barnyard into a Clarus and an Ultrasound I have not been impressed with it in combination with the Schertlers (which in other applications are excellent amps). This may be due to the insert effects loop in the Schertlers, which doesn't allow bypassing the preamp. For a budget solution I would suggest you try running guitar-->Barnyard-->powered speaker. I can't imagine a DSP would help!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pcjazz
    I have a Barnyard and 2 Schertlers (Unico and David) and a DeArmond-equipped archtop. While I have been very happy with the Barnyard into a Clarus and an Ultrasound I have not been impressed with it in combination with the Schertlers (which in other applications are excellent amps). This may be due to the insert effects loop in the Schertlers, which doesn't allow bypassing the preamp. For a budget solution I would suggest you try running guitar-->Barnyard-->powered speaker. I can't imagine a DSP would help!
    Cool, so Barnyard —> AER should probably also work?

User Info Menu

Thanks to everybody for sharing their experiences! My interest in a Schertler is because as a big band guitarist my #1 priority would be to have a good acoustic sound… whether with my goose-neck or maybe with one of them Schertler Basik pickup (should be decent + more feedback resistant). As said, I am tempted to open the nth thread on good advice (and good technologies) for a decent acoustic archtop sound without risk of feedback – as Christian pointed out, no good getting fired on that account

But I also want a good electric sound for lead parts and more “modern jazz” comping, so that’s where the Barnyard comes in. Thank you @pcjazz for sharing your experience. I spent a good hour with my DeArmond, the Unico and a Joyo American Sound to get a good tone and I did not really manage. When I used the somewhat smaller Jam 200, I got a good tone. Go figure – they say the 10’’ speaker on Unico should be better…

Quote Originally Posted by omphalopsychos
    Oh hey I've done that, and it sounds like this:

I happen to be selling that Schertler, if you're interested PM me, happy to give you a good deal.

I used a Joyo American sound for the DeArmond in that clip (because I didn't have a barnyard yet).

Clips coming tomorrow guys, been running errands all day!
    It’s nice! What Schertler amp is that? I’d probably go for a bit of a hairier sound, but I guess the Jr.B. could give me that in spades. Do you happen to remember the settings on the pedal (as said I have an American Sound too) and on the amp?

I’ll PM you!

User Info Menu

Really looking forward to some more jazzy / bluesy el pescadoro clips as I am seriously considering changing my order from jr barnyard to an el pescadoro. The el pescasdoro clips online (apart from Tommy harkenriders clip) don't sound too great, tbh. I am really interested in the reverb side of the pedal. My initial plan was get a jr. barnyard + topanga and be happy...

how do you el pescadoro owners like the verb?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Probably, if you can go directly into the power section, bypassing the aer preamp. I don’t have an aer here to try. With the clarus I go guitar—>barnyard—>effects return but with the Ultrasound, which is my favourite for swing band, I can go directly into the instrument input.

To the OP: it is next to impossible to make traditional acoustic rhythm guitar work in a big band with modern instruments, especially modern drum kits. There just isn’t the sonic space for the guitar to occupy whether or not it is miked. See J Stout’s and M Petterson’s blogs for extended discussions of this problem. Not to mention the limited dynamic abilities of most amateur/semi-pro horn sections.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pcjazz
    To the OP: it is next to impossible to make traditional acoustic rhythm guitar work in a big band with modern instruments, especially modern drum kits. There just isn’t the sonic space for the guitar to occupy whether or not it is miked. See J Stout’s and M Petterson’s blogs for extended discussions of this problem. Not to mention the limited dynamic abilities of most amateur/semi-pro horn sections.
    I hear ya! My drummer bangs on his set like he was the God of Thunder and then complains about possible hearing loss from a split millisecond of feedback from my rig

So what would your suggestion be: to play rhythm with an electric guitar rig (DeArmond + amp). Or to go with an “acoustic” sound that sacrifices a bit of the original sound for the sake of practicality (e.g. transducer pickup)? Sorry for derailing this thread… the whole discussion on the amplified acoustic sound really belongs in this other thread:

Acoustic Archtop Amplification

PS: older Schertler models do have an effects Loop… so they might be an even better option than the current line-up for use with the Barnyard. Added bonus: they are cheaper on the used market.

User Info Menu

My best practical solution for swing big band at present is a DeArmond-equipped acoustic archtop into the Barnyard into the Ultrasound acoustic amp. I have the Barnyard left-side control at about 3 o'clock and the switch on constantly, and the right-hand boost switch off for rhythm and on for soloing (control about 9 o'clock). The rhythm sound is a reinforced acoustic chunk-chunk and the solo sound is '40s single-coil electric. My other solution is to avoid subbing in bands where the horn sections can't distinguish their pees from their effs and/or where the drummer and/or bass player is a would-be metalhead.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    It needs to work, because I have an AER and my Barnyard will be here next week. hahaha

I'll post something here as soon as I get it.

User Info Menu

PS: older Schertler models do have an effects Loop… so they might be an even better option than the current line-up for use with the Barnyard. Added bonus: they are cheaper on the used market.
    My Schertlers are older ones with the insert effects loop, but you still have to go through the Schertler preamp afaicmo. Barnyard does not sound good in the loop.

User Info Menu

OK so spurred on by the comments of PCJazz I have looked a little bit into what’s available around me that I could try by way of acoustic or acoustic/electric amps. Unfortunately many of the most interesting options are basically unavailable in shops or used (Dean Markley Ultrasound, Genz Benz Shenandoah, Genzler Acoustic Array). Does anyone have any experience plugging the Barnyard into any of these others? (Comments as to whether they’re good/decent for amplifying the acoustic sound of an archtop in some way or another also welcome)

- ZT lunchbox acoustic
    - Fishman Loudbox: good features, price, availability
    - AER (hey Clebergf keep me posted on that!)
    - Fender acoustic amps
    - Acus acoustic amps
    - DV Mark jazz mini and their acoustic AC101
    - Quilter Micro Pro Mach2: a bit above my budget, and basically unobtainium except that there’s a used one within easy shipping distance (NB: Tavo himself mentioned the Quilter Pro Block head but it does not have the vital – for me – second “mic/XLR” input)
    - Henriksen Bud: way above my budget and difficult (but not impossible) to find and test
    - … any other solution that might come to mind (e.g. a powered speaker, which I know NOTHING about)

PS: how frustrating is it that NONE of the demos for ANY acoustic amp has anything even remotely swing/jazz to it?!?

I've used my Jr Barnyard through the DV Little Jazz with really good results. On its own the DV Mark sounds really good, but the Barnyard makes it feel and respond much like an old tube amp.

Mightn't be of help but I have used the DV with Barnyard pedal with a Gitane Macaferri copy with a Krivo single coil magnetic pickup - sounded real good, probably the best 'electric' gypsy jazz sound I've had.

User Info Menu

Well, bad news. My Barnyard arrived too soon at my friend's house in US (he's in Brazil right now) and as it's need to be signed USPS got it back to the facility and it'll stay there for 5 days, but I'm afraid that it'll not be enough for he claim it on USPS, so it'll return to Tavo and he'll ship to me in Brazil.
    That said, I'll get my hands on it only next month or so.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by clebergf
    Well, bad news. My Barnyard arrived too soon at my friend's house in US (he's in Brazil right now) and as it's need to be signed USPS got it back to the facility and it'll stay there for 5 days, but I'm afraid that it'll not be enough for he claim it on USPS, so it'll return to Tavo and he'll ship to me in Brazil.
    That said, I'll get my hands on it only next month or so.
    Ouch! I feel for you

User Info Menu

clebergf

well, that is frustrating.

Btw. any more clips of the pedals?! Will definitely record some once I get mine, but I don't know when this will be... ordered almost 4 weeks ago.