The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Posts 176 to 200 of 274
    Quote Originally Posted by pcjazz
    Mine has stopped working too -- won't power up. Did you have to send it back to Tavo for repair or did you get it done locally? Any idea what was wrong with it?
    Sorry to hear yours has stopped working too.
    I was going to ship it to Tavo but the postage costs to get it there from where I live (Australia) were astronomical.
    I had it repaired locally for less than the shipping cost one-way.

I'm actually not sure exactly went wrong with it - it just stopped working completely, as if something had shorted out.
    It wasn't a major problem, that much I do remember. It cost me something like $80 AUD to repair (about $60 USD roughly).

Mine is working OK now, but the LED light for the "grits" section is intermittently failing. Hopefully I don't get any more issues with it!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Mine is on its way back to Tavo for repair.

User Info Menu

He got mine back about a week ago. On mine the led for the preamp side went out after about four gigs but still worked. Every once in a while you could unplug it and plug it back in and the led would work again. This started happening with the boost side about a month ago and I just kept using it thinking it was just the leds but then the boost side stopped doing anything. I emailed Tavo and he told me to send it back. He mentioned there were some that had bad switches. He probably just got a batch of faulty components which I’m sure is a giant headache for him.

User Info Menu

Same thing happened to mine. The LED just quit working, and the preamp knob along with it. When he got it he said the preamp was working. It still works, but now I have one very bright amber LED and one sort of dim, sort of purplish LED. The colors don't affect the sound AFAICT, so I have no complaints.

User Info Menu

Mine broke, but it was entirely my fault. Something hit it really hard, so bad that one of the switches on top was bashed in and just flopping around, and shorting the thing out.

Tavo was able to fix it in time for a European trip. 15 gigs and one recording session... and it delivered the octal tube tone that I need to be able to sound like "myself". I ended up playing through a Bose L1 Compact system for 10 of those gigs, believe it or not, and it sounded great. Who knew? Otherwise, I played through a Hot Rod Deluxe and a Blues Jr. and it sounded perfect in those contexts as well.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by campusfive
    Mine broke, but it was entirely my fault. Something hit it really hard, so bad that one of the switches on top was bashed in and just flopping around, and shorting the thing out.

Tavo was able to fix it in time for a European trip. 15 gigs and one recording session... and it delivered the octal tube tone that I need to be able to sound like "myself". I ended up playing through a Bose L1 Compact system for 10 of those gigs, believe it or not, and it sounded great. Who knew? Otherwise, I played through a Hot Rod Deluxe and a Blues Jr. and it sounded perfect in those contexts as well.
    Yes, it's a great pedal and I'm missing it while it's out for repair even though I have Tavo's El Pescadoro to sub for it in the mean time. (I miss that extra footswitch.)

I'm using mine with a Quilter 101 Reverb amp. I've tried going through the effects send and bypassing the preamp but even with the volume on the amp dimed and the Barnyard volume up pretty high there's not enough volume coming out of the amp for gigging, which is surprising to me (the amp is 50 watts). Through the input with gain set at 12 o'clock (very clean) there's a lot more volume.

User Info Menu

I also found that to be the case.

Though it still sounds great through the front end of the amp.

User Info Menu

I find that going through the effects return (not the send, that shouldn't work) I get plenty of volume if there is another pedal in the chain, or else use a wireless rig, to bring the signal up to line level. I can put my HOF mini reverb between the Barnyard and the fx return, turn the knob fully off so there is no reverb sent, but the light on, and I get plenty of volume. Using just cables in and out of the Barnyard won't give enough signal level to use the fx loop, you need to get it up to line level, which is what the fx loop needs. Many pedals will do that. You also must have both Barnyard switches on, and the knobs turned up a bit.

Thanks for the suggestion. Tried it with my Topanga reverb pedal after the JB through the effects loop, unfortunately no change. It's not the JB though, it's the Quilter amp itself. I tried with other pedals with volume maxed and no difference. Interesting that Jonathon had good luck doing this with a Fender tube amp though.

User Info Menu

After playing around with the pedals more today, I find the Barnyard design somewhat strange. Unlike most pedals, its output never reaches line level. It's on the order of the output of a humbucking pickup, more or less, even with everything dimed. It can't drive the power amp sufficiently through the effects loop, not directly into the return, or in the usual loop. However, I can put my Boss GE7 in the path immediately after it, and get line level output even with the pedal off, and get plenty of volume either directly into the effects return or in the loop. I have no idea why the output level is so low, or whether it's a conscious design decision. I know nothing about the Topanga pedal. Some pedals are true bypass and some aren't. The ones with true bypass won't help in this case if they're in bypass, but pedals that are not true bypass will have line level output whether on or off. That's why you don't always want a true bypass pedal. It's a tradeoff. With my HOF Mini, which has true bypass, it has to be turned on before it will have line level output, but the output is there even with the reverb level knob completely off. So it requires that some device that has line level output be present after the Barnyard in order for it to work adequately in the effects loop. A preamp or most pedals will do the job, but it's a pain to have to carry one. So the easiest alternative is to just use the preamp of the guitar amp and ignore the effects loop.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by campusfive
    Oh, and I should mention I'm running the Junior Barnyard 18V for maximum clean. Tavo mentioned I could run 9V or 12V or 18V, but and it would clean up as the power went up. Since the shop I happened to drop into had the top one, I went with it, and haven't bothered to try anything else.
    I ran my JB with 18V. It has been with Tavo for about a month for repair. He emailed me today to say the circuit board had to be replaced as it had been charged over 9V. When I pointed out that the instruction sheet shipped with the pedal indicated that up to 18V could be used for headroom, he replied: "only the early handwired jr barnyards could handle 18v as I was using overated 35v components on those." So unless you know for sure that you have one of those, I suggest sticking with the 9V power supply. (Tavo said in an earlier email that the El Pescadoro version of the pedal should not be powered over 9V.)

User Info Menu

Just curious-has anyone tried using the Jr. Barnyard with a solid body guitar like a Tele or Strat?
    Wonder how it would change the sound, if at all?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doug B
    Just curious-has anyone tried using the Jr. Barnyard with a solid body guitar like a Tele or Strat?
    Wonder how it would change the sound, if at all?
    I use mine with a Lollar CC-equipped Tele all the time, as preamp going into a neutral-sounding power amp. To my ears, it sounds CC-ish!

I too use mine with a Telecaster - it has Bill Lawrence Micro Coils - it sounds very western swing!

I use mine with a Tele with Bill Lawrence Noisefree Tele pickups. Not sure it sounds Western Swing-ish but sounds good. Also use it with an archtop with a floating Vintage Vibe CC-style pickup. Sounds good there too.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slackandsteel
    I use mine with a Tele with Bill Lawrence Noisefree Tele pickups. Not sure it sounds Western Swing-ish but sounds good. Also use it with an archtop with a floating Vintage Vibe CC-style pickup. Sounds good there too.
    Thanks, all you solid body users. I have a Strat with Creamery CC pickup at the neck(humbucker size) and a Vintage Vibe CC (strat single coil size), use TI 11 guage, and Fender Super Champ X2.

Humbuckers

User Info Menu

Tavo just has a 35$ discount on all his pedals, so after lurking around for quite a while I finally placed my order, and will soon be part of the Jr. Barnyrad Club.

User Info Menu

A bit disquieted by all the damage reports in here – because in the meantime my Barnyard (powered by 18V) has become my personal life-saver. My 1946 Zephyr sounds downright wonderful but it has been famously unreliable so far, and my tech is playing the very last tricks he has up his (deep) sleeve to make it gig-worthy. And the Barnyard has gotten me good swing tones through all sorts of amps: blackface, jazzkat, acoustic image, local PA, … If it should die, sending it back to Tavo would be über-expensive…

The flipside of the post is that it’s such a great pedal that I can hardly live without it anymore!

User Info Menu

What Power supplies are you guys using?
    I recently got my Jr. Barnyard, but there's an incredible amount of hiss that goes with it. Tried two different 9V Power supplies so far, (strymon and harley benton) but the noise won't go away. I Power all my other pedals with them, without any Problems, and tried different pedals in the same setup without any noises.
    Kept emailing with Tavo and recorded the noise, he thought it sounds like a Problem with the Power supply. I'll probably be getting a Boss PSA, (that's what Tavo recommended) and hope it's going to work then.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Webby
    What Power supplies are you guys using?
    I recently got my Jr. Barnyard, but there's an incredible amount of hiss that goes with it. Tried two different 9V Power supplies so far, (strymon and harley benton) but the noise won't go away. I Power all my other pedals with them, without any Problems, and tried different pedals in the same setup without any noises.
    Kept emailing with Tavo and recorded the noise, he thought it sounds like a Problem with the Power supply. I'll probably be getting a Boss PSA, (that's what Tavo recommended) and hope it's going to work then.
    Can it take a 9V battery? If so, try a battery. If the noise disappears, it's the power supplies OR the power in the house. If you've tried 2 "wall wart" power supplies, and they both have noise with the pedal, I doubt it's the supplies. It's likely the pedal or the house power.

User Info Menu

Sadly the Pedal doesn't take batteries. I'm currently using a strymon wall wart, Tavo meant he also has one of these and they'd be producing the noise. He meant Boss psa should work, so i'll be getting one of those and see how that works.

User Info Menu

Mine is very noisy with a couple of wall warts, but quiet with another. I tend to use a battery, and that is very quiet. I have both a large 9V LiIon battery that is designed as a power supply, and a case that holds a standard 9V battery (I use rechargeables) and connects like a wall wart. Very cheap from ebay. The noisy power supplies are dead quiet with other pedals. The JR Barnyard could stand some proper design, both in this and in other areas, but I'm pretty sure it won't get it.

User Info Menu

huh? Mine's one of the earlier ones that can handle 18v, so I just use a dunlop one, but I've also used a standard dunlop 9v one with no problems.

User Info Menu

I don't know exactly what the deal is, but mine is unusably noisy with all but one of my power supplies. It ranges from a loud buzz to warbling. None of my other pedals are noisy with any of the power supplies. And don't even think of using a daisychain. That isn't a big issue with me, because I don't use many pedals, but the JR Barnyard does not like being connected to other pedals. At all.