The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 41 of 41

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    Thanks! What you can't see is that it is covered with small dings. it's hard to wield a big jazz box without bumping into things.
    That’s not a bad thing, someone loved that guitar before you got it and actually used it.
    Dings and marks is just added character imo

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    Thanks! What you can't see is that it is covered with small dings. it's hard to wield a big jazz box without bumping into things.
    Yes, I have learned that over years too. It’s only the first ding that really bothers you though! Still a beautiful guitar. I have one that looks very similar with a JS pickup, but mine is newer (1963).
    keith

User Info Menu

I've got a 55 L5N, and a 57 L5CESN.....and I come here and I STILL have L5 envy!!!!!!

User Info Menu

The Van Hoose book on his Super-400 collection is pretty much accurate when it comes to describing/documenting the various changes both the Super-400 and the L5 models went through over the years.

User Info Menu

Headstock angle is one thing on an archtop.

Another--that contributes to tone, volume, etc.--is the pitch (i.e., angle) of the neck itself.

Gibsons used to have a fairly dramatic pitch of the neck vis-a-vis the body of the archtop. This was based upon violin/cello design. The result was that the break over the bridge was pretty steep. This works the top plate quite a bit when you pick or strum.

Later on, Gibson relaxed this angle.

The angle is even more relaxed in the Benedetto et al. guitars.

I asked Dale Unger why his American Archtop guitars were almost Fender-like in their absence of neck pitch. He replied that he used the same 4-degree angle that Bob Benedetto (his mentor) used.

I pointed out that a 30s Gibson or D'Angelico had a steeper angle.

He agreed.

User Info Menu

Here’s a 1951 that appeared on Facebook today. Definitely a rosewood board.

ARCHTOP GUITAR Public Group | Facebook

User Info Menu

I thought the Gibsons and D’Angelicos from the 1930s had less pitch than later ones.

I had a 1939 D’Angelico Style B and it didn’t have a lot of height at the bridge. I always assumed that the resulting break over the bridge was a factor in that guitar not being very loud. I could just barely fit a De’Armond Rhythm Chief under the strings. I have seen other DA’s from that era that didn’t even have enough height for a De’Armond.

Old Gibsons with the fingerboard attached to the top (L50s, etc.) can also have this problem.

In my experience, later DAs and Gibsons from the 1940’s and 1950’s typically had more height/steeper angle.

In Bob Benedetto’s book, he describes how he fits the neck to the body. He puts a straight edge on the fingerboard and angles the neck so there is 1” between the top plate and the underside of the straight edge at the bridge location.

In other words, a little over 1” between the strings and the top, at the bridge.

I have measured my guitars and found this to be typical of almost all of them, new and old.

I have noticed that a few luthiers seem to fit their necks with more height at the bridge (more string break) but I don’t like the feel of it when the strings are way up there.

I think Bob Benedetto found the ideal angle.

User Info Menu

Here are a few pictures related to my post, above.

The first is a recent L5CES, the second is a Campellone and the third is a Benedetto (made by Bob).

They are all around 1”.

Gibson L-5 1946-49-587ecf9d-505b-4590-8ed5-99aaa5be31c3-jpgGibson L-5 1946-49-7c08142b-55a1-47e7-93b0-e3166184951b-jpgGibson L-5 1946-49-f370307a-79ff-45b7-8cb0-2a0a320eafd3-jpg

User Info Menu

It can be difficult to determine original neck angle and bridge heights as many guitars necks pull up over the yrs to varying amounts, some a little, some to the point of needing neck resets.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    It can be difficult to determine original neck angle and bridge heights as many guitars necks pull up over the yrs to varying amounts, some a little, some to the point of needing neck resets.
    Good point. We hear stories about tops caving in too, requiring the bridge to be raised.
    Last edited by floatingpickup; 10-05-2018 at 08:20 PM.

Well, I made the trip 2 days ago and brought the L5 home. It's exceeded my expectations in every way.

Lightweight with just the slightest heft you'd expect from a vintage CES. Wonderful acoustic properties remain. Quite loud with wonderful bass response and fat, singing trebles. That's with the set of 11-49 rounds that were on it. It's asking politely for at least a set of 12's I think.

Wonderfull neck profile. Maybe a bit on the smallish side but still very full. The carve is fantastic.

Playability is on par with a brand new guitar I would say. Effortless, snappy, responsive.

I likened the whole experience of it to driving down a clear highway in a vintage Cadillac. Am/fm radio, chrome everywhere, not a bump to be felt.

My first L5. The only question is what took so long?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by teleboli
    Well, I made the trip 2 days ago and brought the L5 home. It's exceeded my expectations in every way.

Lightweight with just the slightest heft you'd expect from a vintage CES. Wonderful acoustic properties remain. Quite loud with wonderful bass response and fat, singing trebles. That's with the set of 11-49 rounds that were on it. It's asking politely for at least a set of 12's I think.

Wonderfull neck profile. Maybe a bit on the smallish side but still very full. The carve is fantastic.

Playability is on par with a brand new guitar I would say. Effortless, snappy, responsive.

I likened the whole experience of it to driving down a clear highway in a vintage Cadillac. Am/fm radio, chrome everywhere, not a bump to be felt.

It’s nice to hear that you are enjoying your L5. You have been bitten by the L5 bug. There is no turning back. It happened to me too.
    Keith

User Info Menu

It's no Hoyer Special, but it's still a pretty nice guitar.
    ;^)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by teleboli

Teleboli,

First of all, Congratulations!

Secondly, I'd love to see (a) picture(s).

I recently acquired an L5P, and I share your enthusiasm. I'm absolutely in love with mine (Thank You Vinny!!!).

It does feed back, if I sit in front of my Headstrong Verbrovibe (Thank You 2B!!!) with the volume turned up, but when it is dialed into the sweet spot of that BJB, it's heavenly.

Keith. I'm afraid you're likely correct. I suspect this will not be my last L5. There are a number of incarnations/eras to choose from. Should be fun. Lightweight is my main criteria. I've never liked heavy guitars of any model.

Hammertone. Both the Hoyer Special and this L5 are exceptional. Thankfully for me they are certainly different enough to justify having both.

sky. Thanks very much and congrats to you as well. I remember your L5P being for sale. It's stunning. I actually PM'ed Vinnie about it but it was gone. I actually should have purchased the one QAman had for sale previously as well. They're gorgeous. Mine began life as an L5P. It had 2 pickups installed later by Gibson and one more installed later again. The pot codes date to '61 so who knows. It is what it is.

I'll get some glamour shots soon.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    ...If you have to play louder, oh well, get the L-5 with the P90s.BOOM!...
    Here's the guitar as of Fall, 2018 - a '48 L-5P with added triple-boom action...
    Since then, a few cosmetic changes have occurred, to be posted soon enough...
    Last edited by Hammertone; 03-28-2020 at 03:27 PM.