The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 33 of 33

User Info Menu

Awesome, thanks for mentioning me.

Bear in mind that feedback in amplifying an acoustic archtop with a mic is the MIC hearing it's own signal, NOT the guitar vibrating.
    So foam, blocking f-holes, has nothing to do with it.

It's ALL about geometry when using a mic. The trick is to keep the amp/monitor from pointing directly into the mic OR reflecting directly into it.

Back to the original question - if you absolutely must have a cutaway, then the Epiphone Triumph Regent is the best buy for an acoustic archtop with cutaway. These guitars often sound fantastic and are still relatively affordable compared to an L-5P.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Oh, and many of Allan's solos before Nov-Dec. 1937 were on Epiphones. He didn't get an L-5 until around then (from the photos I've been able research).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    Not shilling Joe's wares. Check this out:

1947 Gibson L-7

ASKING $3595. Negotiate.

1945 Epiphone Deluxe

ASKING $5995. Negotiate.

Kinda 20% to 25% higher than what I expect the market to be. I used to see the Epiphone Emperor selling for between $4000 and $5000 a few short years ago. But what do I know really? I am often wrong.

Read Joe's blurb very closely. His definition of "immaculate" may not necessarily be yours. Just saying. Subjective descriptors are just that, subjective and open to interpretation.
    And distant photos don't show Jack, I mean Joe. I've been to his guitar room several times. Each time I remember, okay this sure looked a lot different in the "photo." But what do I know about photos.

User Info Menu

I have an 18" Campellone, non cut blonde. It's loud. Has a floater that I rarely use.
    I've had it for about six years, so it's opened up nicely.
    I could sell it to you if you'd like?
    PM if so.
    C

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grantc
    Then along came the Bud ...
    You mean, along came Betty.
    In walked Bud.

Mark Campellone is at:
    MCampellone.com | archtop guitars
    Last edited by Hammertone; 01-06-2020 at 11:22 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    Attachment 56243Attachment 56241Attachment 56240Attachment 56242

Mark just built me this. Though built like a Wesmo I must say acoustically/unplugged it is a cannon.
    Fit and finish is flawless.
    This is one gorgeous guitar. I hope it sounds as good as she looks. If I had the chance and the shekels I'd definitely get one of these beauties.

Thanks Teleman for the offer but I really want a cutaway.
    '39-'40 L5P in mint condition for under $10000. Not to much to ask is it
    ……..and one located in Aussie land would be very convenient

I am currently in discussion with Mark Campellone via email so I will give an update soon.

Back to the original question - over the years I’ve had a 17’ Campellone (that was a great feeling guitar) and a 34 L7 (that I wish I had never traded). Purely acoustically, the L7 has more punch and cut and the Campellone sounded better solo. I’d think that L7 would have been a better fit for a band gig.