The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 18 of 18

User Info Menu

I'm very much looking forward to the completion of the Elferink 18" Excalibur which i recently ordered. It is supposed to be ready in March 2019, Frans Elferink started building it a couple of weeks ago. I'm primarily looking for a loud acoustic sound as i intend to use it for gigs where i'm "not allowed" to bring a amplifier. It will have a 65cm scale, 43mm nut width, i decided to go for amber color, and in spite of it's mainly acoustic purpose, to have an floater installed. Frans is sending fotos of the build regularly and i'm thrilled to be able to see the progress. Here are some "early"pics:
    My new Elferink-b14-jpgMy new Elferink-b12-jpgMy new Elferink-b11-jpgMy new Elferink-b10-jpg
    Last edited by JazzNote; 01-13-2019 at 10:06 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Wow! That's going to be spectacular, and I kind of know what you are in for, though the sound port will change things a little in that you'll probably hear it better on a gig.

I can't wait to see how it ends up, and what you think of it.

Say hi to Frans for me!

User Info Menu

Interesting! It's looking great so far.

User Info Menu

My guitar teacher has one and wow, it's a fantastic guitar. You'll be thrilled for sure when you receive it.

User Info Menu

Drool.... My Excalibur is extremely playable and LOUD... and it's a 17"...

What a beauty Franz is constructing for you... ENJOY!!!

User Info Menu

Nice looking guitar. I'm sure you will be happy with the finished product. My question. What is unique or worthy of a patent for the sound port. Unless I'm missing something it looks like slots instead a hole or holes are the only difference. Is there something else internal to the guitar body?

User Info Menu

Jazz Note, Thanks for your reply. I'm a big fan of sound ports particularly from the players point of view. They do make a noticeable difference on my acoustic guitars. I was just curious as to what was worthy of a patent hence my question about any modifications internal to the guitar. I will say the it looks great and I'm sure you will enjoy the addition. Obviously we will be expecting further updates and observations.

User Info Menu

Thanks for sharing this. This is the first example of a sound port that I've found aesthetically acceptable (I appreciate the use of a sound port, I just have never found a hole in the side of a guitar to be very nice looking). Fwiw, I think the four slot version that Frans is making to be better looking than the six slot original.

User Info Menu

JazzNote, That is really nice. Congratulations.
    I like how he cut the parallel lines. He didn’t just slice the wood. He got fancy by stepping the cuts in the beginning and end. Very stylish, and not easy to do.
    Its gonna be a great guitar. Im happy for you.
    Joe D

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JazzNote
    Same here, i find soundports in general ugly, except the prototype Matt Cushman was showing with an added tube inside (Carved archtop see post no 32) In fact i find the four slots very stilish, probably looking better than without.

Thanks Joe. Yes i'm sure it will be a great guitar. I'm kind of wondering how Frans did the "stepping". It might be possible by using a somewhat larger diameter round saw blade. However, it's very precise work which fulfills all aesthetical demands.
    Thanks Jazz Note!

Finding the best way to cut a sound hole in a guitar is among my favorite topics. The soundport on your guitar looks very nice. The styling is understated and clean. I also like the long slim slots often thought to be good for sound holes. I have read that the f hole was designed to create a sound hole with a long thin opening. This looks like a job for possibly a router and template type of set up.

User Info Menu

Very, very nice.

User Info Menu

Very Nice, almost illegal it's so pretty...

User Info Menu

Beat- it’s coming together beautifully - a real classy looking guitar. I’m happy for you - please let me know your thoughts after playing it.

User Info Menu

nice to see elferink being a go to luthier these days..took awhile..his euro location to some degree...but one of the best scholars out there regarding old wood archtop construction..so why wouldn't his own stuff be good...and constantly improving!!!..

rob's non cutaway/pup 18" big elf was a beauty!!

cheers

User Info Menu

It's Me Tiny E...
    I'm in a Christmas Tree
    Wow Man
    That Elferink's HUUUGGEE!
    Attached Images Attached Images My new Elferink-tinye-jpg 

User Info Menu

Looks beeeutiful.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

She sure is pretty. I can't wait to see her with all her fittings on.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by QAman
    Beat- it’s coming together beautifully - a real classy looking guitar. I’m happy for you - please let me know your thoughts after playing it.
    Thanks Steve. Frans wrote that he'll be able to ship it at end of February. I remember when breaking in my brand new blonde L5 in 2003/2004 it took quite a while until it mellowed a bit. I'm most curious about how the Elferink will "behave" in the beginning.