The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 134

User Info Menu

I know a number of us have a lot of guitars -- from fancy archtops to cheapie slab-bodies.

But really... what guitar do you play the most? And why? I think some of the answers might surprise us!

Me?

I play my Waterloo WL-14 XTR the most. It's my main guitar for solo gigs.
    Next is my Nash T52 ('52 Tele-style). Again, it's my main guitar for band and group gigs.

Both are lefties, reliable, versatile and gig worthy. And replaceable if something were to happen to them. And while I own a dozen archtops, neither of these are archtops... They are my player guitars.

What about you?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

A Cigano GJ-15.

User Info Menu

I play all 14 guitars that I own every week. I mostly use a couple of my 175's and my Lester for gigs these days.

User Info Menu

I try that, a lofty goal for sure but I'm a "love the one you're with" type. I play one for a few days or weeks, then another and think, "Why haven't I played this?" :-)

User Info Menu

I tend to mainly gig 2 of my guitars.

Dupont MD-50 gypsy guitar is my main gigging instrument. Pickups are a Bigtone and a K&K Definity. Preamp is a K&K Pure for the Bigtone and both pickups into a Fishman Loudbox Artist.

For electric, right now it's a new Eastman T146SM loaded with a Fralin humbucker size p90. Amp is a DRRI with Jensen c12q.

I do gig my other instruments and amps, but it's more sporadic.

Tonight I'm playing my Eastman, and tomorrow night it'll be my Dupont. Same venue, 2 different bands.

User Info Menu

I often pick up my Aria Pro II PE180. It has something special. I also love the ES165 Herb Ellis. The pickup-to-body match on that guitar is extraordinary. The VOS ES175 is also often in hand.

User Info Menu

It changes from time to time, but lately I've been playing my Eastman T145 mostly. It sounds good, it's light, and being a thinline it's comfortable to play. Full-depth archtops are no longer comfortable for me to play, especially really big ones. My Epi ES175 plays and sounds as good as the Eastman, but it's too big.

User Info Menu

I don't gig but play several hours every day and own quite a few guitars but right now I'm bouncing back and forth between my Ethan Deutsch Flamenco Blanca and my Forshage Orion. I tend to play 2-3 hours a day with steel strings and then switch to nylon for 2-3 days. Play too much of one or the other and my chops on either guitar i.e. nylon, steel string start to deteriorate.
    Last edited by rob taft; 09-23-2018 at 12:19 AM.

User Info Menu

Lately mostly my Squire Classic Vibe Tele, and an old Takameni dreadnaught. I'm been playing/songwritting Americana music lately and those two guitars seem to be appropriate to the style.

User Info Menu

My '43 Epiphone Ritz.

User Info Menu

As time rolls on... it’s a ‘74 Gibson ES-175 and a Telecaster I assembled a few years ago. The 335 and Eagle get pulled out once in while just to keep me from selling them

User Info Menu

Like Stringswinger, I play all of my guitars fairly regularly. For gigs, I guess I play my Nash S-57 the most--even for jazz gigs. Works fine.

Around the house, these days, my time is split pretty evenly between my "Lady Rose" Heritage Super Eagle that I bought from Patrick a few years back, and my Unity 100th Anniversary--which is simply a sensational guitar.

I recently strung the Unity with TI BeBops (13-53). This guitar really sounds outstanding with nickel rounds. Even my wife has been commenting on this, and she is pretty jaded at this point from all of the repetitive stuff she hears.

Third place is probably my Memphis EL300 (same as Aria PE-180). This is a 70s Matsumoku copy of a Gibson L-5CES with a Super-400 neck.

User Info Menu

I fall in love too easily, for it to ever last. But, Gibson is really ringing my bell these days, and the L5P, it's hard to keep my hands off of her. She's a beauty. Looking like a long term relationship.

User Info Menu

Great question. Lately it's been a Conti Equity because it's so damn easy to play and has a great tone -- and it's so lightweight. I bought the Conti on a lark (and got an insane deal) and I am so impressed with this axe. I am also grabbing my '52 Hot Rod Tele just as often (an amazingly versatile Tele!).

Something has to take a back seat, so those have been my Emperor F, the Gibson Custom Shop L-7C, my customized Matsumoku Strat and a Masterbilt dread.

When sitting on the deck playing acoustically, it's the L-7C because she sings like a bird.

User Info Menu

Playing out - B & G Little Sister (small body, semi-hollow, lightweight, great sounding P 90 style pu's)

Home - Mirabella non-cut / Gibson LeGrand

Albert

User Info Menu

That ol' Lyle L5/175 mashup. Just feels so good in hand, comfortable to play, and sounds so sweet via pups.

My Alvarez "Tree of Life" D-bought flat top next.

I think if I get around to putting flats on my early 70's tele, I'd play it more.

My pretty classical is mostly wall decor.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

MIM Strat. It was a Fender FSR and has a flame maple cap. Nice to play, even if I struggle with the sound. It set me back $350.

User Info Menu

At home I play my 2 Steve Andersen archtops most of the time...unplugged.

I have an old '64 335 that I use for most gigs.

But the electric I use most for practice, rehearsals and jams is my Vox Virage. It's a great feeling, lightweight semi-hollow. I replaced the funky original pickups with Fralin P-90s and it's really good!

What guitar do you REALLY play?-img_0999-jpg

User Info Menu

Gibson LeGrand

User Info Menu

On a gig Gibson 65 Johnny Smith
    AT home generally grab the Stromberg 41 G1 ( strung as an accustic )
    Super 400 still gathering dust

User Info Menu

The guitar I play *most* is a mid-line Ovation acoustic that I have strung with TI 13s (flats). I practice on that guitar all the time, and it's usually the first thing I pick up in the morning.

Interestingly, I have two acoustic guitars that were given to me out-of-the-blue by musicians that I recorded with, along the journey. I really treasure them because of the ways they came to me.

User Info Menu

2016 L-5 WesMo is my main axe.

Other archtops in rotation are '63 ES-175, Slaman Sister, '75 L-5C, '85 ES-175, '99 L-5 CES, '47 Super 400.

Acoustic is usually the '28 L-5, but could be my ergonomic Forshage or Martin 000-18GE.

ES Les Paul, Warmoth Strat, and Warmoth Tele make an appearance fairly often for funky stuff.

No shortage of choices here.

User Info Menu

I play my Godin Kingpin most because it works really well for unplugged practicing and that's what I do most. For plugged in playing it's roughly evenly split between that and my D'Angelico semi and my Strat. Since I got the Godin I've pretty much stopped playing my flattop, and that's all I've got.

John
    Last edited by John A.; 09-23-2018 at 10:02 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by M-ster
    The guitar I play *most* is a mid-line Ovation acoustic that I have strung with TI 13s (flats). I practice on that guitar all the time, and it's usually the first thing I pick up in the morning.

Interestingly, I have two acoustic guitars that were given to me out-of-the-blue by musicians that I recorded with, along the journey. I really treasure them because of the ways they came to me.
    My Ovation was easily my most played until I bought this damn gypsy jazz guitar. Now the last two months I've been sitting outside every night, drinking wine and enjoying a pipe I bought some time back. Next thing you know I'll be buying vintage clothing and sporting a pencil thin moustache.

Not.

User Info Menu

I only own two guitars these days: the blue Soloway Gosling that had stayed with me for the last 7 years or so (the longest of any guitar since 1971) and a Soloette Songbird Jazz travel guitar that came to me abut three weeks ago. I'm a serial monogomist who only ever plays one guitar for long stretches and finally change to something else for a long stretch. The blue Gosling has had a lot of long stretches but ever since it arrived, the Soloette has been getting all of my playing time. It's a great guitar and a blast to play.

What guitar do you REALLY play?-soloettewithpooh-jpg