The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 15 of 15

User Info Menu

Short story. It was about a year ago while one day reading an old archived thread where I began to hear that voice in my head, okay here's 2 minutes of my life that I won't get back, low in behold esteemed forum member Mr. Beaumont recommends an acoustic string I'd never considered - Thomastik Infeld Plectrum's

I've played TI's nearly exclusively on electrics since discovering them here some 7 years ago. But I never considered sampling their acoustics.

I've hung around here long enough to learn that so much of the information Jeff shares is gospel. So I ordered a set. Sure enough, just as Jeff recommended. I'm very impressed too with their added acoustic volume over my previous acoustic strings.

Package description reads:

PLECTRUM are soft sounding strings for acoustic guitar with low tension on the bottom end. The plain strings are made of brass coated steel, the wound strings have a silk inlay in combination with a highly flexible steel core. A, D, G strings are polished bronze flatwound. Bass-E is polished bronze round-wound. PLECTRUM are available for 6 and 12 string instruments.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I have used plectrums for 5 years on my acoustic. Can’t say enough good about them, they actually keep sounding good even after hours of play. I never regret buying them and I have tried all types of string and each new brand I try lasts about a day before I put plectrums back on.

User Info Menu

Glad they worked out. I kinda forgot about those strings...I really liked them on a Larrivee parlor I owned for a while...

They're a little too short to use on an archtop, iirc...the silk extends past the nut and it's not particularly easy to unravel. I think I remember being bummed about that.

I might try them again now, on my cheapie recording king...

User Info Menu

they certainly are one of thomastiks most unique/interesting string sets..combining silk and rounds and flats and bronze...a real hodgepodge

having said that, and being a thom flatwound fan, i tried a 12 string plectrum set on an old gibby acoustic and was very underwhelmed...had very light tone..almost too delicate/twee...strings just didnt drive the guitar like vintage correct 80/20's do

^ obviously different guitars & players might have different results..but nevertheless, rather delicately voiced strings..fingerstylists might really enjoy if the volume suits them...

thomastik makes great strings!

cheers

User Info Menu

I tried them only once. Not for me, but they might be the best string in the world for someone else. I do like the quality of TI strings, though, great brand. Currently using TI Sliders on my Tele - wonderful strings.

User Info Menu

I have used Thomastik Plectrums for years on my Martin OM and will continue doing so. I only wish they had a 11.5 set as I can never decide between the 11 and 12 set. The lighter set is easier to play but has slightly less punch.

Did I say that I play TI Swings on all my electrics, Tele included?

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

Nice to hear that these strings are known by other members. I'm not surprised, you guys know gear. Okay, so I'm late to the TI Plectrum's. Yes, no string is 1 size fits all. But I like their feel, and their punch during this honeymoon phase of getting to know these strings. Hey, they're TI's!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    I do like the quality of TI strings, though, great brand. Currently using TI Sliders on my Tele - wonderful strings.
    the ti sliders and the plectrums (tho very different) both have the silk winding on the inner cores...which is old school clever tech...in that it allows them to reduce the inner steel core diameter ...but maintain the gauge thickness by wrapping the core with non tension adding silk!!!...then adding the outer wrap...so you can have a relatively girthy string with very low tension

the silk pads it, but doesnt add to the tension

cheers

User Info Menu

Indeed. Old-school quality.

User Info Menu

I have used TI Plectrums on several guitars - they have a nice, mellow sound and (like all Tis I've used) are very long-lasting. With their lower tension, the Plectrums are good for guitars with a more delicate neck, and for those who prefer a more relaxed feel (particularly with a 25.5 scale length). They are a bit less brilliant-sounding that Spectrums, the other TI brand of acoustic strings.

User Info Menu

They work with Eastman's scale. I used to play them on my AR905. They did not work on anything of a longer scale, although it depends on the length of the tailpiece. For example, on an Epiphone with a frequensator, the D string is too short, but the G is fine.

If you are after warm 80/20 Bronze strings, check out Philippe Bosset. Available in the US here: Phillip Bosset Acoustic Guitar Strings

I purchased them after a recommendation from Rob MacKillop. Wonderful strings.

If you can stand the slightly higher tension and slightly shorter lifespan, I would also recommend GHS vintage bronze for a very warm set. Because of the tension, the GHS VB will produce much more volume than the TI Plectrums. I found that I enjoyed the Plectrums on my parlor or for soft playing on an archtop, but for any rhythm, I prefer the Philippe Bosset or GHS VB.

User Info Menu

Are they low tension? I have an acoustic that was built specifically for silk and brass. I'd like to try something else but they have to be low tension.

User Info Menu

my parlor just barely gets 12's through the bridge. Do you think it could handle a 13 in these strings? I feel like their gauges are vanity sized

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    Short story. It was about a year ago while one day reading an old archived thread where I began to hear that voice in my head, okay here's 2 minutes of my life that I won't get back, low in behold esteemed forum member Mr. Beaumont recommends an acoustic string I'd never considered - Thomastik Infeld Plectrum's

I've played TI's nearly exclusively on electrics since discovering them here some 7 years ago. But I never considered sampling their acoustics.

I've hung around here long enough to learn that so much of the information Jeff shares is gospel. So I ordered a set. Sure enough, just as Jeff recommended. I'm very impressed too with their added acoustic volume over my previous acoustic strings.

Package description reads:

PLECTRUM are soft sounding strings for acoustic guitar with low tension on the bottom end. The plain strings are made of brass coated steel, the wound strings have a silk inlay in combination with a highly flexible steel core. A, D, G strings are polished bronze flatwound. Bass-E is polished bronze round-wound. PLECTRUM are available for 6 and 12 string instruments.

Just an FYI, the description is a bit misleading as only the .011 (light gauge) set and smaller have flatwound G, D, and A strings. I ordered a set of .012's (med light) for my Martin 00-17 Authentic and only the G is flatwound (didn't read the fine print). I really was hoping that they would have the 3 vs 1 flat strings. Also, the low E barely fit in my tuner hole (Stew Mac Restoration vintage tuners). That said, they still sound really good. I may try the light set next time.

User Info Menu

There are some full flatwound 80/20 bronze sets. One of them is made by Galli. Unfortunately, I tried them and was sorely disappointed.