The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 44 of 44

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pilotony
    Joe, its not so much the guitar as it is you. The fact is you are an excellent musician. I've re-listened to some of your YouTube recordings, using different guitars. Your arrangements, tone, articulation, use of passing notes and arpeggios shows a mastery of the instrument that's seldom seen. I sometimes can discern subtle differences between instruments, which I attribute to the "fit" and "feel" or integration between you and that particular guitar.
    And as you advised, I have not stepped on any of my guitars!
    Tony D.
    Tony, 1st off, thanks Buddy.
    I am playing the most beautiful songs ever recorded. I am not as talented as the masters, with coming up with catchy versions of these great songs. I learn the songs, some by ear and I record them. I try to remember all of them and they become what I play when I practice. I train my brain. Ive recorded over 50 different songs and I can still play most of them, without reading them from a chart.
    My own versions of these songs would not be as interesting as the versions developed by my hero’s. So that’s how I’ll play them. I’m not a good writer and that’s where I seem to fall short in some eyes. Not mine. It’s an honor to be able to play it the way Johnny or Joe did. And when I play it I dream that somebody will see it, like it and try it themselves. See what happens? The creations of my hero’s live on.
    Playing these great songs on the guitars that these same hero’s had something to do with is why I post the videos here. God and a couple of great friends have made these guitars possible. And here is the most important thing I need to say.
    These guitars give me the inspiration to do this, I am the luckiest person I know to have these guitars. I will never take them for granted.
    Thank Tony. And thanks everyone else.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Pilotony is right ... no matter which guitar it is your touch and sensibilities for playing and setting things we hear. And your physical abilities to play the notes so cleanly.

Combined, that's a total joy to listen to. And inspiring for so many of us who are relatively still plinking.

Keep recording and keep posting your thoughts here ... you are one of the riches of this forum.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by R Neil
    Pilotony is right ... no matter which guitar it is your touch and sensibilities for playing and setting things we hear. And your physical abilities to play the notes so cleanly.

Combined, that's a total joy to listen to. And inspiring for so many of us who are relatively still plinking.

Keep recording and keep posting your thoughts here ... you are one of the riches of this forum.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    thank you RNeil. I really appreciate that.
    Joe D

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    Tony, 1st off, thanks Buddy.
    I am playing the most beautiful songs ever recorded. I am not as talented as the masters, with coming up with catchy versions of these great songs. I learn the songs, some by ear and I record them. I try to remember all of them and they become what I play when I practice. I train my brain. Ive recorded over 50 different songs and I can still play most of them, without reading them from a chart.
    My own versions of these songs would not be as interesting as the versions developed by my hero’s. So that’s how I’ll play them. I’m not a good writer and that’s where I seem to fall short in some eyes. Not mine. It’s an honor to be able to play it the way Johnny or Joe did. And when I play it I dream that somebody will see it, like it and try it themselves. See what happens? The creations of my hero’s live on.
    Playing these great songs on the guitars that these same hero’s had something to do with is why I post the videos here. God and a couple of great friends have made these guitars possible. And here is the most important thing I need to say.
    These guitars give me the inspiration to do this, I am the luckiest person I know to have these guitars. I will never take them for granted.
    Thank Tony. And thanks everyone else.
    Joe the only thing more wonderful than those guitars, those performances, and your playing is the splendid attitude and spirit you bring to them. I’m perched on the edge of trying to learn Joe’s “Rainy Day” from Virtuoso. Might kill me but at least I’d die happy!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    Joe the only thing more wonderful than those guitars, those performances, and your playing is the splendid attitude and spirit you bring to them. I’m perched on the edge of trying to learn Joe’s “Rainy Day” from Virtuoso. Might kill me but at least I’d die happy!
    Hi Lawson, Thank you very much buddy.
    Joe Pass songs take up a lot of hard drive space. But I will say for sure, there is nothing more fulfilling. Joe’s version of Here’s That Rainy Day renders the melody beautifully.
    You will do a great job.
    Joe D

User Info Menu

Joe, As you know I had my Triggs made D'Angelico 18" New Yorker. It is a top of the line archtop. I sold that to a member here with much agony. It was (and still is) a wonderful acoustic guitar. With a perfect sized vintage neck and incredible ease of play. But it is an 18" full depth guitar which was simply getting less play due to shoulder pain. I am sorry I sold it. Life is to short to deny yourself the things that pleasure you the most. If you can afford both IMHO you should keep both. Good luck,AG

User Info Menu

Joe,
    Thanks for sharing your musical talents with our group. Your playing is just beautiful and your return to this forum benefits us in many ways. Your enthusiasm , energy and spirit with recreating the greatness of Joe Pass and Johnny Smith has been a real treat to watch - and I know the hours and committment it takes learning those arrangements.

As for the comparison between your GJS and HJS, I would say your playing posture and ease of playing on the HJS is quite evident to me, and since the new pickup configuration the guitar is a perfect fit functionally and tonally. Not to take anything away from the GJS - its a classic for sure - and one of Gibson's best offerings.

Ive read all the posts about how certain guitars require more effort to play (and reward us for that effort) ......and perhaps there is some truth to that reasoning. I like to think that the challenging instruments( unknowingly) become an exercise tool which help facilitate the effortless playability on our other favorite players.

The bottomline is really playability, especially as we age.
    My best sounding guitars are not usually played as often as those which offer the "all around best" playing experience.

I usually work out my arrangements on the easier playing guitars, then go and enjoy the finished product on my best sounding guitars.....if that makes any sense. Then the cycle continues, with me benefiting from both playing experiences.

Thanks again for sharing your music and instrument experiences.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Hey Archtop Guy. I was thinking about you this morning when was playing! I was praying you made it through ok with minimal disruption. i am glad you reached out. Yes, I always have that image in my head of a handsome devil sitting in a room filled with a wall of windows, with a beautiful Triggs New Yorker in his hands. I’m sure you miss that guitar. I would too.
    There is little doubt those 2 guitars will be with me for a long, long time. I ran through my stuff this morning on the HJS18 and my wife asked me to start with an amp once again, because she enjoys hearing the songs I play. She told me this morning was the best she has ever heard me. Her favs are; “This Guys in Love with You”, Somewhere Over the Rainbow” and “What are you Doing the Rest of Your Life”. She doesn’t like Boy Next Door very much.
    Whenever I learn a new song, it takes me a couple of sessions to get all of the old stuff back. But when it all comes back, after I wiped the guitar down and put it back in the wall case, my feet don’t touch the ground for a little while.
    It is increasingly clear to me what my final lineup will be when it’s all said and done. Of course the GJS and HJS18 are my left and right arms. There will be the meaningful 175 I got from Vinny. An L5 for sure. And one other surprise guitar that I really can’t wait to get my hands on.
    In due time..
    thanks AG.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by QAman
    Joe,
    Thanks for sharing your musical talents with our group. Your playing is just beautiful and your return to this forum benefits us in many ways. Your enthusiasm , energy and spirit with recreating the greatness of Joe Pass and Johnny Smith has been a real treat to watch - and I know the hours and committment it takes learning those arrangements.
    As for the comparison between your GJS and HJS, I would say your playing posture and ease of playing on the HJS is quite evident to me, and since the new pickup configuration the guitar is a perfect fit functionally and tonally. Not to take anything away from the GJS - its a classic for sure - and one of Gibson's best offerings.
    Ive read all the posts about how certain guitars require more effort to play (and reward us for that effort) ......and perhaps there is some truth to that reasoning. I like to think that the challenging instruments( unknowingly) become an exercise tool which help facilitate the effortless playability on our other favorite players.
    The bottomline is really playability, especially as we age.
    My best sounding guitars are not usually played as often as those which offer the "all around best" playing experience.
    I usually work out my arrangements on the easier playing guitars, then go and enjoy the finished product on my best sounding guitars.....if that makes any sense. Then the cycle continues, with me benefiting from both playing experiences.
    Thanks again for sharing your music and instrument experiences.
    Stevie, you talk the talk and walk the walk. I will always be greatful for the nice things you say. You have seen more things in our world then 100 people combined. And you make guitars sing when you play them. A real deal dude, that’s for sure. It’s great to know you on a personal level for a variety of reasons.
    Thanks for the support buddy.
    I am hoping you come full circle and bring back home a guitar that should absolutely be with you. You’ve worked hard and you deserve it. When and if it happens, it should be the grandest NGD. The NGD that EVERYONE would love to see.
    Joe D

User Info Menu

Dear Joe,

I missed that one. This is simply great. Prodigeous sound and perfect phrasing. Now let's make this album in chord melody style and publish it !

Best to you.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Archtop
    Dear Joe,

I missed that one. This is simply great. Prodigeous sound and perfect phrasing. Now let's make this album in chord melody style and publish it !

Best to you.
    thank you Fred.
    I am still pushing for a DVD in the not so distant future.
    i appreciate it sir.
    Joe D

User Info Menu

Joe,
    The realisation must be upon you, after hearing accolades
    from some of the finest players on this Forum , that it is
    neither the HJS or GJS we are applauding, it is your
    playing of whichever guitar you choose. To paraphrase
    Lawson's comment , it could be a Les Paul we're hearing,
    you have mastered the instrument, the model is of
    secondary importance. Bravo my friend, it is always a
    pleasure to hear you play.

from J and A

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by silverfoxx
    Joe,
    The realisation must be upon you, after hearing accolades from some of the finest players on this Forum , that it is neither the HJS or GJS we are applauding, it is your playing of whichever guitar you choose. To paraphrase
    Lawson's comment , it could be a Les Paul we're hearing, you have mastered the instrument, the model is of
    secondary importance. Bravo my friend, it is always apleasure to hear you play.
    from J and A
    Foxman,
    As you know, without the guitar we would have a lot to say and nothing to say it with. I am sure everyone on this great forum can throw down, especially with one of my babies in there hands. My guitars make me better. You guys make me better. The reasons why I chose these particular songs to play make me better.
    In the end, the star is the guitar. We just learn how to manipulate it’s magic.
    Hey, a Les Paul wouldn’t be all that bad...

User Info Menu

Foxman,
    As you know, without the guitar we would have a lot to say and nothing to say it with. I am sure everyone on this great forum can throw down, especially with one of my babies in there hands. My guitars make me better. You guys make me better. The reasons why I chose these particular songs to play make me better.
    In the end, the star is the guitar. We just learn how to manipulate it’s magic.
    Hey, a Les Paul wouldn’t be all that bad...
    you know... I like this. We so often say "it's not the instrument... it's the music... it's the player..." and yes that's true. But man oh man... the guitar. No instrument ever captured my soul like the guitar. From the first evening in the 1960's when I heard Mason Williams play "Classical Gas" the guitar has owned my heart. Yes, I'll confess it: I don't love the music, I love the guitar. And sure, i love the music too, but only because of this amazing, exasperating, exhilarating, demanding, rewarding instrument that we play.

Joe I love the fact that Joe Pass and Johnny Smith have a prophet or evangelist in you; but I also love your love of these instruments, these wonderful guitars.

I raise my glass to the guitar! And to all who show us its beauty!

User Info Menu

you know... I like this. We so often say "it's not the instrument... it's the music... it's the player..." and yes that's true. But man oh man... the guitar. No instrument ever captured my soul like the guitar. From the first evening in the 1960's when I heard Mason Williams play "Classical Gas" the guitar has owned my heart. Yes, I'll confess it: I don't love the music, I love the guitar. And sure, i love the music too, but only because of this amazing, exasperating, exhilarating, demanding, rewarding instrument that we play.

Joe I love the fact that Joe Pass and Johnny Smith have a prophet or evangelist in you; but I also love your love of these instruments, these wonderful guitars.

I second that motion (emotion?)!

User Info Menu

JoeMax, let me join this parade and just say "thanks" in a general way for posting your thoughts about guitars, and your playing videos, on this thread and many others. Please just know there's a B-grade player on the opposite coast who draws a lot of inspiration from your vids. Thanks, man.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Flat
    JoeMax, let me join this parade and just say "thanks" in a general way for posting your thoughts about guitars, and your playing videos, on this thread and many others. Please just know there's a B-grade player on the opposite coast who draws a lot of inspiration from your vids. Thanks, man.
    Yeah, Larry Carlton calls me all the time and tells me that.. I'M KIDDING!!!
    Thank you Flat. If you are a B Grade player you are doing a whole lot better than me that's for sure!
    I appreciate the nice things you said.
    JD

I was trying to play a modified E7 chord on someone elses guitar a few weeks back, like this;
    and the strings were so tight up there. I managed to fret the chord and I got virtually NO sound at all.
    On my guitars, playing a chord up there is no different than playing it down by the nut. And it sounds just as good. Strong notes, with bell like clarity. I learned to not take the quality of these guitars for granted. Believe me, I've played some crappy guitars in my life.
    Lawson, you are a good man. I am honored by all the support I get from you. Thanks buddy.
    PS, Play Here's That Rainy Day on the 165. It will sound better than Joe's version.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    I second that motion (emotion?)!
    Dan-it Dan
    Dan-it Dan
    Dan. Da da dit da da da..

User Info Menu

Lawson, you are a good man. I am honored by all the support I get from you. Thanks buddy.
    PS, Play Here's That Rainy Day on the 165. It will sound better than Joe's version.
    But of course that will be the guitar. I have a photocopy of a hand-written transcription of HTRD from Virtuoso that is tempting me, but it's very hard to read. Meanwhile I have a student here who is on maybe his 3rd or 4th Joe Pass transcription. He doesn't know it, but I'm flunking that kid.