The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 46

User Info Menu

Sad times indeed. Gibson is definitely on life support. Not a single jazz box in there lineup. They even changed the 275 to a semi hollow.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hmm. Their lineup has contracted quite a bit.

As an owner and fan of the 275, I'd hate to see it go. The 275 semi-hollow is a nice addition though.

ES-275 Thinline 2019

2019 Gibson Lineup-275-jpg

User Info Menu

I never really understand the years on Gibson's website. For 2019, does this mean that's all they're making and selling in 2019, or is this just the additions/new versions being introduced in 2019?

John

User Info Menu

The Gibson model year ends in August and the next model year begins in September. So, September 2018 to August 2019 marks Model Year 2019.

User Info Menu

Uhh... "Figured Cherry Cola"? Too close to "Figured Zero Cola"!

The only possible positive side of this could be that the prices of used ES-275s (the hollow ones!) would drop and I could finally get one. But rising of the prices is as possible scenario so not so many positive sides at all.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Grass
    Hmm. Their lineup has contracted quite a bit.

As an owner and fan of the 275, I'd hate to see it go. The 275 semi-hollow is a nice addition though.

2019 Gibson Lineup-275-jpg
    I LIKE that one, a LOT!

It's been a L-O-N-G time since Gibson had a single cut semi hollow in their lineup, though I too wish they had called it something else.

But the thing about Gibson and a single cut semi, they have never had a hit with one. The ES-137, 135, Pat Martino, Howard Roberts fusion, Blues hawk and likely others have all been unsuccessful. It seems like the only major git maker with relatively long production runs of single cut semis is D'Angelico with their EX-SS.

Oh well, if the street price isn't stupid I'm a buyer, failing that I'll wait till they blow them out after nobody buys them... OUCH! :-)

PS, that's one of the nicest bursts I've seen that isn't on an Ibanez or Heritage.

User Info Menu

The big thing I noticed is they are actually doing direct sales. While I understand that it may hurt dealers, there aren’t many left besides GC and the big internet retailers. In this day and age with the ease of internet sales, I think this is a good move, and one that should have been made at least a decade ago.

User Info Menu

Vinny - I am a bit confused. What does "lineup" mean, precisely?

1. In other words, any of us can still order any of the archtops on the Custom Shop web page, right?

2. And Gibson will make one for a dealer, should they choose to have one built for inventory, right?

So does "lineup" mean that they won't build them on speculation, while hoping that some individual or dealer will be interested?

Sorry, just not getting the lingo/situation...

This is Gibson Custom, Electric Guitars, Archtop, sorted high to low. Citation, Super 400, and on down the line for two pages...

Gibson Custom Archtop Electric Guitars

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    They even changed the 275 to a semi hollow.
    Well, so now the new ES-275 is basically a single-cutaway ES-335... it's even sold stock with 10-46 strings.

I'm all for it, minus the ridiculous price tag, of course.

What the lineup means is these are all the 2019 production models. Yes you can still get a L5 made but it is no longer a production model. Gibson will only make one if custom ordered and paid for in advance. You can get a 175 but it will be a custom Crimson order and cost a fortune. TMZ recently had a single pu Crimson 175. Cost was $7500.00 and it sold.

Direct sales also means MAP price only. The smoking deals are done.

User Info Menu

One can still reserve a Tal Farlow available in March 2019 according at least to MF website
    Access Denied

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k

Direct sales also means MAP price only. The smoking deals are done.
    Great, was hoping for that actually.

Hey gang - our Gibson archtops may have just seen the start of an appreciation curve!

User Info Menu

I saw they have one full hollow body archtop in their lineup. Never heard of or seen that model before.

Anybody got any information on it?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Even downloaded the spec sheet. Says 25.5 scale, 15" width but no depth. Looks more of a thinline depth. Carved spruce top.

$4,999.00

User Info Menu

Modern Archtop you mean ?
    It was in 2018
    No more in 2019, as far as I can see.

User Info Menu

Ah. The 2019 list doesn't pop up on my phone. So I haven't looked there.

Still ... haven't heard hide nor hair of that "Modern Archtop ".

User Info Menu

Gibson is doing what it needs to do in order to survive. Going through business bankruptcy is never pretty, but its better than the alternative...going under for good. That hurts workers as well as the economy. We armchair quarterbacks might not like the short term decisions, but they are obviously being made for the long haul.

Yes, the 2019 Gibson guitar lineup is anemic, but so is their cash flow. Add to that the ongoing legal expenses facing them, its a wonder they have any new products to offer. They are on corporate life support. I'd wager these new guitars are simply steps taken to keep some level of consumer interest...or remain somewhat relevant in an extremely competitive (and shrinking) guitar market.

Personally, I wish them luck. There are many hard working folks at financial risk, who had nothing to do with the dumb, overreaching, greedy (i.e. excessive product pricing!!) decisions made by Gibson's top brass.

OK, I'll get off my soap box...and unwind by playing my Heritage Golden Eagle.

User Info Menu

Forget the 275, I think that 235 is really freaking cool.

2019 Gibson Lineup-es235gebnh1_main_hero_01-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitfiddler
    Gibson is doing what it needs to do in order to survive. Going through business bankruptcy is never pretty, but its better than the alternative...going under for good. That hurts workers as well as the economy. We armchair quarterbacks might not like the short term decisions, but they are obviously being made for the long haul.

Yes, the 2019 Gibson guitar lineup is anemic, but so is their cash flow. Add to that the ongoing legal expenses facing them, its a wonder they have any new products to offer. They are on corporate life support. I'd wager these new guitars are simply steps taken to keep some level of consumer interest...or remain somewhat relevant in an extremely competitive (and shrinking) guitar market.

Personally, I wish them luck. There are many hard working folks at financial risk, who had nothing to do with the dumb, overreaching, greedy (i.e. excessive product pricing!!) decisions made by Gibson's top brass.

OK, I'll get off my soap box...and unwind by playing my Heritage Golden Eagle.

Greedy pricing? Post #12 says that the smoking deals are NOW gone, as if to say, before now the deals were smoking (i.e. NOT greedily priced).

So it's difficult to understand what people want. I still believe that what people want is Gibson product, with Benedetto quality, and at Fender prices, lol.

Not. Gonna. Happen.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by omphalopsychos
    +1 And they're already at reverb at the same price Gibson is offering with free shipping. The minor difference is Gibson is charging shipping of $14.78. That said, I think I'd rather see the money go to Gibson directly given the state of where they are.

However... with their bankruptcy issues can they stiff direct buyers and take the money and never ship?

I think I'd have to have some legal advice on this one before I'd buy direct.
    Last edited by GNAPPI; 09-07-2018 at 09:58 PM.

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=GNAPPI;896514]
    Quote Originally Posted by omphalopsychos

+1 And they're already at reverb at the same price Gibson is offering with free shipping. The minor difference is Gibson is charging shipping of $14.78. That said, I think I'd rather see the money go to Gibson directly given the state of where they are.

However... with their bankruptcy issues can they stiff direct buyers and take the money and never ship?

I think I'd have to have some legal advice on this one before I'd buy direct.
    I believe that you'd be covered if you bought with American Express.

User Info Menu

It is cool that they've re-issued the '61 SG. Certainly, not a typical jazz guitar, but it's among the solid body electrics that does the job very well. Corey Christiansen recorded Dusk with his Custom Shop '61 SG re-issue. I was fortunate to spend a week with him this past summer in a jazz guitar workshop and he played that guitar exclusively. I was so taken with its tone and playability, that I got one. Though mine is not not a '61 re-issue, the specs are comparable ... I love it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LtKojak
    Well, so now the new ES-275 is basically a single-cutaway ES-335... it's even sold stock with 10-46 strings.

I'm all for it, minus the ridiculous price tag, of course.
    The price listed is actually right between two up level 335's, high? yes, ridiculous? maybe but I ordered one today. More to come on that next week

2019 Gibson Lineup-gibson_2019_semi-line-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzstdnt
    Great, was hoping for that actually.

Hey gang - our Gibson archtops may have just seen the start of an appreciation curve!
    Wishful thinking, perhaps. I see very few name players in any genre using Gibson anything let alone the iconic jazz boxes of last century. And what working pro can afford to have a 4.5 K instrument on a $100 gig?

I own a couple but, the high end stuff (4/5K +), I liken more to fine furniture: very much a luxury in this economy.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by andrew42
    Wishful thinking, perhaps. I see very few name players in any genre using Gibson anything let alone the iconic jazz boxes of last century. And what working pro can afford to have a 4.5 K instrument on a $100 gig?

I own a couple but, the high end stuff (4/5K +), I liken more to fine furniture: very much a luxury in this economy.

There are lot of boutique makers these days, thanks to the iconic Gibson archtops (not "jazz boxes") of the last century. And there is a difference between the top artists and busker grade players. Finally, the more expensive, rare, irreplaceable the guitar, the less practical a road warrior it is. That goes for D'Angelicos (Benson had one for a long time) and D'Aquistos (Steve Miller had at least two for a long time.)

The last time I saw Russel Malone at Catalina he was playing a Super 400 (I guess he sold his Buscarino - not cheap BTW).

Peter Bernstein plays a custom hand made archtop (Ziedler?) Not cheap.

Anthony Wilson plays a Montelleone (prices in the nose bleed section)

A few Gibsons here (although Kurt R plays another make/model that is not exactly cheap).

Seven Contemporary Jazz Guitarists Worth Checking Out | Guitarworld