The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 16 of 16

User Info Menu

Saturday night, my band was playing a wedding, and I was playing my Telecaster. I just felt so out of sorts with it-I think that I find it difficult because the strings are so close to the top. We played our last set acoustic, and I played my old Epiphone Zenith. It was great! I could just play it better! I think that I'm pretty done with the solid body guitar, and since I'm having no luck at all trading the Tele for a hollow body, I'm thinking about installing a slimbucker on my Epiphone.
    My question is; Is there a big difference in the amount of feedback between a guitar with a floating (neck attachment) pickup compared to a hollow body guitar with the pickup mounted in the top?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

You can preface this by "it varies (guitar/pup/amp)", but...:

1. Floating pickups feedback more easily than pickups mounted to the top (say P-90) or routed into the top. This is because the mounted pickups interfere with the free vibration of the top.
    2. Carved archtops feedback more easily than laminated tops.
    3. On carved archtops, I wonder about the difference between X bracing and parallel bracing, but I'm not going to make a blanket statement.

Whatever you've got, you can do things to minimize feedback, from physical placement to plugging the f-holes, and I know there are a couple of devices suggested in other threads to electronically suppress feedback.

User Info Menu

In addition to the things that BDLH noted, and this is strictly opinion, many (if not most) feel that the floating pickups don't sound as nice. The P-90 option is particularly attractive (as opposed to routed-in pickups) for simplicity of mounting IF you have the clearance. And they sound great !

randyc

PS: Just looked up your Epi, that's a foxy guitar ! What year is yours ?
    Last edited by randyc; 11-10-2009 at 08:58 PM. Reason: add PS

User Info Menu

Randy-
    It's a '44. The only thing it has enough clearance for is a slimbucker.

User Info Menu

Don't forget about the vintage designed Rhythm Chief floater. You can get them from www.archtop.com

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by derek
    Don't forget about the vintage designed Rhythm Chief floater. You can get them from www.archtop.com
    Do you know how much they go for? I thought they were crazy expensive.

User Info Menu

NICE, John ! I'm thinkin' it will sound sweet with that pickup.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles

Nah, you can find'em on the bay pretty reasonably. Installation is another matter of course.

DeArmond Chief Guitar Audio Pick Up Vintage May 1966 NR - eBay (item 310179621633 end time Nov-11-09 17:31:48 PST)

User Info Menu

Wow! (Although that is not the 1100 with adjustable pole pieces.) I've seen the 1100 on eBay for $1000! I'm going to follow that one and see what it goes for.

User Info Menu

Haven't they reissued this thing?

User Info Menu

You'd think there would be a market, even if its built by custom winders like Lollar or Vintage Vibe.

User Info Menu

Yep, this qualifies for your description.

VINTAGE DEARMOND 1100 POLE PIECE PICKUP FOR JAZZ GUITAR on eBay (end time 18-Nov-09 21:41:50 GMT)

Gotta be kidding.

User Info Menu

Yikes! Recently I saw what were supposed to be original pots from a Broadcaster for $1500! Who demands vintage pots?

User Info Menu

If those vintage pots for 1500$ can increase the value of the guitar by 2500$ ..

User Info Menu

Yikes! Recently I saw what were supposed to be original pots from a Broadcaster for $1500! Who demands vintage pots?
    Vintage gardners?

User Info Menu

Check out John 5's Telecaster collection video on youtube. He paid $135,000 for a Broadcaster! I guess $1500 is chump change for him. At the time of the video, he's still looking for the perfect "No-caster" (the unnamed Tele model that fell between the Broadcaster and the actual Telecaster). I can only imagine how much he's willing to pay for that Nocaster.