The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 28

User Info Menu

Are there any tonal differences in the clean channel of the DV Mark Micro 50, the Micro 50 II, and the Micro Jazz? I am very satisfied with the Micro 50 all white knob version, but wonder if I should upgrade? I use the head for clean jazz only. Thanks.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I have the Micro50, Micro50II and a DV Little Jazz which is basically the Micro Jazz with a speaker. The clean channels all sound the same to me, compensating for differences in the speaker and cabinet. I can't tell any difference between the two heads on the clean channel.

User Info Menu

50 tube watts or 50 SS watts? How loud is this amp? Louder than say a 15-watt Princeton? A 22-Watt Deluxe?

User Info Menu

Thanks Lawson, good information! Do you hear any difference in the reverb. IIRC the reverb was improved in the Micro50 II?

It would make sense that the Micro 50 Jazz has the same circuitry and named "Jazz" by the absence of the drive channel?

Bach5G, the amp is SS and devivers 50W at 8ohm and 60W at 4ohm load. I can play smal to medium clubs with it. My experience is that it is much louder than what a Princeton can deliver clean. I never played a deluxe on stage.

User Info Menu

A good tone tip for the straight m50, make sure every single parameter for the o.d. is set to 0 when on the clean channel. it does slightly color the sound

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jpb

It would make sense that the Micro 50 Jazz has the same circuitry and named "Jazz" by the absence of the drive channel?
    Well it seems like they scraped one channel and make it more expensive instead... questionable marketing decision IMHO.

:-/

User Info Menu

All watts are the same, measured the same. But wattage and loudness are not the same. Wattage ratings are not standard. This has been discussed at length in other threads.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DonEsteban
    Well it seems like they scraped one channel and make it more expensive instead... questionable marketing decision IMHO.

:-/
    Maybe they priced it higher because they know they won't sell as many.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    Maybe they priced it higher because they know they won't sell as many.
    I was overjoyed to find an amp without a drive channel and gain control - that's what sold me on it. There are some of us who like clean and simple.

User Info Menu

doesn't the jazz version also have an FX loop?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marwin Moody
    Yes (although I thugh the newer version of the Micro 50 also had a loop?). As for the price of the Jazz 50, I think I paid $225 for mine with one of the MF 15% discounts and the list price is under $300 in the US. Given the quality of this amp, I consider that to be a ridiculously good deal. The DV amps are competing against much more expensive amps and holding their own and then some. Even at the inflated Mexican and Canadian prices, the heads and combos are still priced well south of most of the competition.

User Info Menu

How does the reverb sound on these? Natural? Or too metallic?

User Info Menu

How does the reverb sound on these? Natural? Or too metallic?
    I like it (enough to use it instead of my HOF Mini most of the time). It's not really natural but neither does it have that metallic artifact that you mentioned. When you get it turned high enough it almost has a bit of a swirl to it. I like the sound of my favorite patch on the HOF better but I like it enough to be happy using it in public.

User Info Menu

I definitely prefer the HOF mini, but the DV Mark reverb is better than most amp reverbs I've heard. I don't use much reverb, and don't like it when it's noticeable, so I may not be the best source of advice, but at lower levels it isn't bad.

User Info Menu

I use a VanAmps Sole Mate instead of the DV micro reverb. It colors the tone in a pleasant way IMO, a soft presence or something like that, it opens up the sound... The reverb of the DV micro is not bad, but I have to turn it up too much to make it sounding good. The VanAmps changes the dry signal in a pleasant way so I can go with only a little reverb.

Marwin, I do not hear any difference in the clean channel when turning the drive knobs to zero..

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bach5G
    50 tube watts or 50 SS watts? How loud is this amp? Louder than say a 15-watt Princeton? A 22-Watt Deluxe?
    I have absolutely no idea. I assume the "watts" given in the literature are for this amp, which is a solid state amp. But I can't really say about equivalent loudness.

User Info Menu

The jazz head has an effects loop and no XLR, like the Micro50 II. The Little Jazz amp (mine at least) has XLR out, no effects loop.

User Info Menu

A good tone tip for the straight m50, make sure every single parameter for the o.d. is set to 0 when on the clean channel. it does slightly color the sound
    I have tested this claim repeatedly and have not found any effect that the OD channel has when I am playing the clean channel. I've tried all OD controls maxed, medium, whatever, and with the OD turned off it has no effect on the clean channel in my use of the amp.

User Info Menu

Thanks Lawson, good information! Do you hear any difference in the reverb. IIRC the reverb was improved in the Micro50 II?

Bach5G, the amp is SS and devivers 50W at 8ohm and 60W at 4ohm load. I can play smal to medium clubs with it. My experience is that it is much louder than what a Princeton can deliver clean. I never played a deluxe on stage.
    I actually haven't tried a side-by-side to see if the reverb is different. I will have to get the two heads together and try that out. I love to try side-by-side tests, and that one could be interesting. I'll say that I haven't noticed a difference, but one amp is at home and one is at my office, played through very different cabinets too, so I could be missing something.

User Info Menu

Marwin, I do not hear any difference in the clean channel when turning the drive knobs to zero..
    Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    I have tested this claim repeatedly and have not found any effect that the OD channel has when I am playing the clean channel. I've tried all OD controls maxed, medium, whatever, and with the OD turned off it has no effect on the clean channel in my use of the amp.
    Oh dear, mine must be faulty in that case I can't return it for a new one unfortunately, since it's bought directly from an importer which went bankrupt...

User Info Menu

IIRC the reverb was improved in the Micro50 II?
    IMHO: No, au contraire. I got the mark II today and it's already packed for shipping back again. One of the reasons being the reverb.

Where the reverb of mark I was quite nice sounding yet with a little "chorus-ish" color to it, the new one sounds way inferior. Lots of single echos that lead to an over all metallic sounding reverb.

Big NOPE from my side. :-(

User Info Menu

So I did a quick side-by-side of the DV Mark Micro50 "I" and "II" to compare the reverb. Nothing really fancy here. Both on clean channel; EQ and Level the same on both. Reverb set to about 75% (pointing to 3:00 o'clock). Recorded with Shure SM57 on left channel and direct line on right channel; the "I" has XLR out, the "II" requires using the Effects Loop Send for direct out recording. I don't know where the effects loop fits in the signal chain, though.

Just about 12-16 measures of single-note stuff to see how the reverbs sound on each.

Hope this helps any who wonder!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    So I did a quick side-by-side of the DV Mark Micro50 "I" and "II" to compare the reverb. Nothing really fancy here. Both on clean channel; EQ and Level the same on both. Reverb set to about 75% (pointing to 3:00 o'clock). Recorded with Shure SM57 on left channel and direct line on right channel; the "I" has XLR out, the "II" requires using the Effects Loop Send for direct out recording. I don't know where the effects loop fits in the signal chain, though.

Just about 12-16 measures of single-note stuff to see how the reverbs sound on each.

Hope this helps any who wonder!
    Thanks for the comparison! It's a little more reverb than I usually use (unless I'm playing surf!) but these old ears couldn't tell enough difference to make it of any importance to me . The reverb in my Micro 50 Jazz is completely acceptable but with my Earthquake Devices Dispatch Master in the effects loop it's on a whole other level.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DonEsteban
    IMHO: No, au contraire. I got the mark II today and it's already packed for shipping back again. One of the reasons being the reverb.

Where the reverb of mark I was quite nice sounding yet with a little "chorus-ish" color to it, the new one sounds way inferior. Lots of single echos that lead to an over all metallic sounding reverb.

Big NOPE from my side. :-(
    That's exactly what I heard. More like a fast, quivering, metallic delay. Not bad at lower levels, but very noticeable when you turn it up.

User Info Menu

That's exactly what I heard. More like a fast, quivering, metallic delay. Not bad at lower levels, but very noticeable when you turn it up.
    This ought to be easy to figure out. Has anyone just pulled the cover and looked at what reverb module is used in each one?