The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 31

User Info Menu

I have never had a solid state amp... Until today.

When i started playing, a great family friend gave me a vox 15" cab and a tube amp with it. Since then i´ve mostly played a 2x12 treynor, an old vibrolux 68 and i had a blues junior for a year or so. -and i´ve never really gotten along with solid state amps, just not really liked the sound.

-but Today i got my first solid state, i tried the dv jazz 12 in a music store and was very surprised how much i liked it. I Tried the henriksen and Dv, but preferred the dv and liked it so much that i bought it. I´ve been playing it today and took it to a duo practise with a singer. I´m still surprised about how well it sounds and i love carrying it around I will still keep my old vibrolux but first impression on the dv mark is promising.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Congratulations! I am so pleased to hear that you are enjoying your new amp, especially as you have not been playing through SS amps.

Ironically, I was about to start a new thread asking for updated comments on the DV Mark jazz amps

I just ordered a DV Mark Little Jazz amp two days ago and I'm getting a bit nervous. They are fairly expensive here in Canada and I have not actually tried one as no local stores have them in stock. I purchased it based on comments in threads here in this forum and on YouTube videos.

I saw a guitarist at our local jazz club who was using a Henriksen "The Bud". It was impressive (as are his playing skills) ...but more than twice the price of the DV Mark Little Jazz.

ENJOY!

Cheers

Dave

User Info Menu

I had a little jazz for a while and liked it so much, I got a jazz12 to keep it company. I've done many big band gigs with one or the other and never had a problem soloing with the brass section blowing. These are my all time favorite amps. Have fun with yours.

User Info Menu

Thanks so much for your response and supportive comments.

I am a hobby player trying to learn jazz guitar and performing to a sold-out crowd of one (me).

User Info Menu

Congratulations on a fine amp, and play it in good health!

User Info Menu

Congratulations for your new toy. DV Mark Micro 50 head happy owner here. Hope you'll be happy too with yours.

User Info Menu

I own a DV MArk Little Jazz and am extremely happy with it. I have two tube amps and three solid state, the DV is a favorite!

User Info Menu

I think DV are really on to something. I have really enjoyed my Micro Jazz 50 and in a few weeks I'll be taking delivery of a Little Jazz as well. (Unfortunately, the prices in Mexico, Like Canada, are much higher than the US). I really liked the basic voicing of the amp and the preamp was really easy to dial in.

yeah, they sure seem to be on to something. I still can´t wrap my head around this, being a guy who has never been into solid state amps and have tried quite a few. I´ve been playing it since i got it and comparing it to my other amps, it doesn´t sound like a tube amp, that is for sure but something there that is really smooth, fat and i like it i´m playing a wedding tomorrow and looking forward to try it in a live setting.

User Info Menu

All of this is certainly making me feel less worried/anxious. Thanks!

@ Jim Soloway The DV Little jazz was $710 CDN in Ontario (includes the 13% HST). That is about $35.00 per pound...haha

Are you in Mexico now?

Cheers

Dave

User Info Menu

I'm a fan of the DV also. I have two DV Mark Micro50 heads, one through a tiny "Lunch Box" speaker and the other through a 12" Quilter cabinet; I've also played through a home-brew 10" 4ohm speaker and like that one a lot. Then I sprung for the Little Jazz and it's lovely too. The DV has the closest to the Polytone feeling of any new amp I've played. I"m slowly moving from my aging Polytone to the DV Mark.

User Info Menu

I used to have a Micro50, but I sold it because it was so much like the Little Jazz that I also own. I just didn't need two amps that sound so much alike, and I didn't need the crunch channel at all. I already have two other heads, a GK MB200 and an AI Clarus, so I decided i needed the money more than the duplication. But I really like the Little Jazz, and it's what I take out instead of one of the heads and my Raezer's Edge cabinet. It sounds very nearly as good, and it's far more portable. I also have a Vibrolux Reverb, and it mostly lives in the closet. I wouldn't even think about taking it outside.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greco
    All of this is certainly making me feel less worried/anxious. Thanks!

@ Jim Soloway The DV Little jazz was $710 CDN in Ontario (includes the 13% HST). That is about $35.00 per pound...haha

Are you in Mexico now?

Cheers

Dave
    Yes, we finally got back to Mexico from Canada on Wednesday. We're on permanent resident visas so now we face the prospect of making a home here. I checked the Canadian prices while we were there so no surprise. The Mexican price is about $50 less but it had to be ordered from Italy first. I actually placed the order in early June and it should finally get here in the next two weeks or so. In the mean time I have my Micro 50 Jazz head but my cab is in the boxes that we shipped from Canada just before we left and they haven't cleared customs yet so I'm playing through a micro headphone amp and a pair of earbuds. Because of travel and technical issues, that's been my basic setup for 8 of the last 10 months. It will be nice to have a real amp again soon.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    I used to have a Micro50, but I sold it because it was so much like the Little Jazz that I also own. I just didn't need two amps that sound so much alike, and I didn't need the crunch channel at all. I already have two other heads, a GK MB200 and an AI Clarus, so I decided i needed the money more than the duplication. But I really like the Little Jazz, and it's what I take out instead of one of the heads and my Raezer's Edge cabinet. It sounds very nearly as good, and it's far more portable. I also have a Vibrolux Reverb, and it mostly lives in the closet. I wouldn't even think about taking it outside.
    The reason I keep the older Micro50 is the XLR out. I'd sell them and get the MicroJazz whatever head if it had XLR out. Not even the newer Micro50 heads have that, claiming the effects loop send is the same, which it is not. The Little Jazz also has XLR out, so I might one day sell the newer Micro50 head.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Soloway
    Yes, we finally got back to Mexico from Canada on Wednesday. We're on permanent resident visas so now we face the prospect of making a home here.

I actually placed the order in early June and it should finally get here in the next two weeks or so. Because of travel and technical issues, that's been my basic setup for 8 of the last 10 months. It will be nice to have a real amp again soon.
    All the best for settling into your new home in Mexico.

Thanks so much all of your responses to me and all of various posts on both this and the Canadian forum.
    I hope we will continue to see you posting from Mexico as time goes on.

It seems as though we might be getting our new amps at about the same time. ENJOY!

Cheers

Dave

User Info Menu

man, this is getting really tempting, like the Mambo, but that amp was in another continent. These things are being sold by Guitar Center, so at least I have the chance to try them out before I give in to my GAS attack...

User Info Menu

It seems Guitar Center online can sell you one with a 30 day return but none of the stores have them in the showroom.

How do you find the 45 watts power? Is it really enough?

Would like to do a side by side comparison with a DV Mark and a Boss Katana 100 12" and a Roland Blues Cube 30

User Info Menu

I already have XLR out in all my heads and the Little Jazz, the Micro50 was still redundant. It's a great head, just redundant to me.

I've used the Little Jazz in very loud blues jams, so loud my earplugs weren't really enough, and it kept up with the big boys just fine, at not much over half volume, and the guitar volume down also. It's amazingly loud for an 8" speaker, and still sounds good when cranked, although I seldom turn it up anywhere close to full. In fact, never, just don't need it. It really seldom goes above 50%. I've never tried the Jazz 12, but it should be even louder, since it's moving a lot more air. I can't imagine needing more volume than the DV Mark produces, without going through a PA. And the XLR out makes that easy.

First gig done with the jazz 12 today. Played a wedding in a church, it worked great so i´m still a happy camper and man it´s so light!

User Info Menu

Was in Guitar Center today. The cleanest amp they had for under $500 was the Katana 100.
    They didn't have a DV Mark. I would love to hear the two side by side for clarity and presence comparison.

User Info Menu

You can have them order one to the store, and if you don't like it, return it for a refund. New or used, doesn't matter.

User Info Menu

I picked up my DV Mark Little Jazz this past Monday. Our local music store was able to order one from the Canadian distributor and it arrived in a week. I'm very pleased with it in general as I have never had an amp voice specifically for jazz. Admittedly, I am still tweaking the EQ to find the tone(s) I'm looking for. I tried a boost pedal with it to see how it would respond and it went very well.

I am not a skilled player, but I enjoy listening to jazz and and trying to play some jazz chords and basic, simple lines.

It is a pleasure for me to own this amp.

Cheers

Dave
    Last edited by Greco; 08-23-2018 at 07:30 PM.

User Info Menu

I used the DV Mark 12 for couple of years now.
    Somehow I never got used to the sound. it sounds too artificial, doesn't react great to dynamics. Is it the speaker? Or the amp? The reverb is extremely coloured and more of a chorus delayed than anything else. Each time I had to play a gig I was comparing the DV Mark with my Fender Blues Junior. Of course these are two different types of amp. But, the sound is all that matters to me (and the weight). I kept on bringing the blues Junior to the gig leaving the DV mark at home.
    Played with Gibson ES 175, ES 125, 335, 330

I'm selling the amp and buying a Henriksen jazzamp.

User Info Menu

I don't think much has changed in the four years since this thread originally died. DV Mark amps don't sound like Fenders, and that's the attraction to some. Others prefer the Fender sound. Both are valid preferences. If you like Fenders, use a Fender or a Quilter, which aspires to sound like a Fender. I'm not sure you'll like a Henriksen, which doesn't sound much like a Fender, closer to a DV although not exactly the same.

User Info Menu

Here is my experience: as a owner of a second gen Henriksen Jazz amp... one day I was at GC and there was a DV Mark Jazz 10... I played it and was surprised at how similar it sounded to my Henriksen. I did not spend a lot of time and I did not feel like I should buy the DV and sell the Henriksen, however they seemed to living in the same world. If you want tubes get tubes. I also have a Fender ProJr. It is a killer little amp. I also have Fender Princeton another great small amp. The Princeton is not always loud enough but the ProJr seems to carry a lot sound. If I am using my Henriksen and I want a tube type experience, it is not there. I love that amp for what it does, though.