The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 31 of 31

User Info Menu

I'm curious as to how those of you who are positive on this amp have it's settings. I've had trouble finding the 'right tweak'. I continue to use a pedal for rev/delay (not much)----and i'm not looking for a fender sound either. Where do you have the eq? and reverb?
    And do you turn the amp toward the wall? tnx

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stringmann
    I'm curious as to how those of you who are positive on this amp have it's settings. I've had trouble finding the 'right tweak'. I continue to use a pedal for rev/delay (not much)----and i'm not looking for a fender sound either. Where do you have the eq? and reverb?
    And do you turn the amp toward the wall? tnx
    I have and use 3 DV Marks: a Little Jazz, a Jazz 12, and a Raw Dawg 250. I also have a CS PRRI and a Blu 6.

First, some generalizztions: the DVM reverb is a bit strange. At low settings, it's fine and normal - it may not be as "lush" as a full spring pan in a tube gain stage, but it's quite fine if all you want is a mild effect. Once you crank it above 11 o'clock or so, it gets phasey is no longer just reverb. Full on, it's not a bad Mike Stern effect - but I have little use for it like that except the occasional fusion or spacey tune. The Henriksen and Fender reverbs are much more traditional and have a wider dynamic range.

The Henriksen EQ is very sensitive and very useful. Even a few degrees of rotation of the knobs can have a clearly audible effect. You have to tailor your eq settings to the specific guitar in your hands. My Tele 7 has Lace Alumibuckers, which are wide range, clean, articulate, sensitive pickups that bring out the slight quackiness in the Tele. With the low knob up a bit to about 1:30, the low mid at noon, the high mid at 11 and the highs at 10:30, the quack is gone. I've found this to be a good start with the DVMs as well. There's a bit of a mid bass hump in the DVM Jazzers that seems to darken the Tele quack, so I just cut the high knob to about 10:30 with the mid knob at 11:30 and the low at noon.

With archtops (a carved 17" with a KA floater and a laminated 16" with a Benedetto B7), I usually leave the eq knobs at noon for the most natural jazz tone from the 8 and 12 Jazz amps and the Blu. As for the PRRI, I set the bass on 5, treble on 3 for the Tele and bass on 4, treble on 4 for the archtops. With volume on 5, I get good pick dynamics with the guitar volume pot about 75% up.

On stage at the club, the backline (Jazz 12 and PRRI) face forward. The PR is on a stand and the Jazz 12 is flat on the floor. When I use the J12 for our trio jazz shows on Thursdays, I put it on a stand to tame the low end flab. THe PRRI is fine as is on a vertical stand about 2' tall. I only take the Lil Jazz or the Blu to outside dates, and I put either one on the floor facing the wall behind or next to it. I wedge up the front with a doorstop, but I just ordered the Henriksen folding wedge since it's on sale right now and looks a lot better than a rubber doorstop.

The 250 watt Raw Dawg also has the weird reverb, but again I only turn it up so it's slightly audible - and at that level, it's fine. The tube front end in the Raw Dawg gives a slightly fuller richer mid and upper mid that really tames the Tele quack (as well as the piezo quack from my flattop). And with either archtop, the Raw Dawg through my 10" RE is a fabulous jazz sound!

I love all of these and could easily like with any one of them as my only amp for jazz, blues, and commercial dates. The Fender sounds like .......um........ a Fender. It has a full lower mid and some sparkle, and it's a fine jazz amp that'll play the blues with the best of 'em It has limited clean headrooom for larger commercial gigs. The DVMs and the Blu sound more balanced low to high, with no clear peaks or valleys like the dreaded mid scoop. I and my bandmates love the Little Jazz sound for trio jazz gigs, but I haven't yet hit them with the Blu - the first date with that is in 2 weeks. I'll report back.

I hope this is helpful.

User Info Menu

I use the LJ flat on the floor and turn the bass almost all the way down. Mids at noon. Treble at 11. That's with my GCS-1 or a Yamaha Pacifica 012 Strat copy with a Lil 59 humbucker in the neck position. That's an 8" speaker and yet I'm turning the bass almost all the way off. Seems odd to do that, but it gives me the sound I'm looking for.

User Info Menu

Sound, or tone, is an entirely subjective thing. I prefer to tilt my LJ back by putting something under the front edge, put it a foot or so from a wall, and set the tone controls mostly flat, although I do often roll the bass off just a little, certainly not all the way, depending on the room and the guitar. But the 8" speaker does have more than enough bass available. Lots of bass players use 8" speakers. It doesn't require a 15" speaker to provide adequate bass.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    I prefer to tilt my LJ back by putting something under the front edge
    I've carried two rubber doorstops in one of my gig bags for this purpose. In a pinch, I've used everything from two shot glasses to a pile of napkins. But Henriksen makes a really cool folding device that does the job very well, fits in a guitar or amp gig bag, and loooks a lot more professional than an ashtray or glassware under your amp. It's called The Wedge and it's on sale right now for $30 (reduced from $35). I ordered it Monday and it's scheduled to arrive today with free shipping. It's just right for the Lil Jazz and the small Blu / Bud. I'll try it with my RE 10, but it may not support the weight without permanent damage.

DV Mark Jazz 12-wedge-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hotel17
    I used the DV Mark 12 for couple of years now.
    Somehow I never got used to the sound. it sounds too artificial, doesn't react great to dynamics. Is it the speaker? Or the amp? The reverb is extremely coloured and more of a chorus delayed than anything else. Each time I had to play a gig I was comparing the DV Mark with my Fender Blues Junior. Of course these are two different types of amp. But, the sound is all that matters to me (and the weight). I kept on bringing the blues Junior to the gig leaving the DV mark at home.
    Played with Gibson ES 175, ES 125, 335, 330

I'm selling the amp and buying a Henriksen jazzamp.