Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 50 of 88

User Info Menu

Hi Everyone,
    I’ve kept myself busy during my absence from the forum. During that time, I’ve been asked by the group of friends who I’ve kept constant contact with over the past couple months to return to the forum. And I wanted to. Before I came back, There were a bunch of things I needed to take care of. One thing was to fix my relationship with Jack Zucker. Over the years we had our differences. But, I’ve developed an incredible amount of respect for Jacks knowledge and playing. Me and Vinny say that he has the most amazing control with both hands. We say he has hands like a “spider”, quickly crawling across the fretboard with speed and precision. Well, if you get to know him offline, he is equally as outstanding as a human being. I am glad he let me get to know him.
    I started a website, which was on my bucket list for quite some time. The name is ArchtopWorld.com. Check it out. Let me know what you think.
    I’ve also been working to perfect my Heritage 18” Johnny Smith. I’ve never owned a guitar that wanted to work for me more than this one. Through fret leveling, A Matt Cushman masterpiece bridge, new nut, re-wiring and most recently a new pickup I think we’ve made the big girl the best guitar I’ve ever owned.
    I’ve been busy learning too. The little brain I have is officially on overload. But I am having fun. Living out my dream.
    I recently recorded a bunch of new tunes prior to doing the latest modification to the HJS18. Well, since I had Kent Armstrong completely rebuild my pickup, I started re-recording everything on the HJS18 with Kent’s pickup. Kent’s pickup is called the PAF05. I sent him my pickup and pickguard and he returned it a week later with his pickup built and sealed into my into my existing structure. The new sound took a day to get use to. There are no more Microphonic elements to the sound. As Kent puts it, “I built the pickup to represent what I think an electric guitar pickup should sound like” The result is a powerful, efficient and balanced.. Well you be the judge.

These 2 videos were recorded with the new pickup in place.

Please watch this one to the end.. I threw something in there.

And this one too..

Its nice to be back.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Welcome back brother. I've always had great respect for your playing and it was nice to connect with you on a personal level as well. I'm not on here much anymore but when I do log in, it's so nice to check in on your work. Honestly, your solo playing has inspired me to want to spend a year working on that aspect of my playing.

That guitar is *HUGE* though. I once owned a 1948 super 400 and it was just too much for me but sound-wise, there's nothing like an 18" heritage or gibson!

Thanks for sharing.

User Info Menu

p.s. you should professionally record and release a solo guitar album.

User Info Menu

nice playing
    White belt
    My Youtube

User Info Menu

... And we're dam glad ye are BACK!!!

What a BIG tone from that beefy rig! Now I'm off to ArchtopWorld.com
    measure with micrometer... mark with chalk... cut with axe

User Info Menu

Good to see ya Joe...er...Max
    Jeff Matz, Jazz Guitar:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz

"Jazz is like life...it goes on longer than you think, and as soon as you're like 'oh, I get it,' it ends."

--The Ghost of Duke Ellington

User Info Menu

Glad your back posting Joe. Things seemed unusually quiet without your presence. You are a true gentleman.

User Info Menu

Thanks for coming back

You were missed

User Info Menu

Joe ! Buddy ! So good to see you back.

Cheers.
    Archtop YT Channel: www.youtube.com/+FredArchtop

User Info Menu

You couldn't ask for a fatter, fuller, more beautiful sound from a guitar!

Those are 2 of my favorite songs and your chord melody solo arrangements of them are just wonderful.

Thanks for posting those videos for us to enjoy!

Regards,
    Steven Herron
    Learn To Play Chord Melody Guitar

User Info Menu

Welcome home Joe. She, and you ,sound wonderful. As all your guitars do. It ain't the arrow,it's the Indian. Are you using the Thomastic 12's or 13's on her? Good to have you back Joe. AG

User Info Menu

Nice to see you back Joe. Nice to hear your excellent playing again. Nice to see your reconciliation with jz.

Nothing not to like about this. Welcome back!

User Info Menu

Glad you are back, Joe. Your big Heritage sounds very full and rich indeed. I confess to not remembering the way it sounded before, but the newly constructed pickup has sweet overtones and compression. It seems to respond well to a light touch, which I also like on my own guitars. Being truly satisfied with an instrument is not something to take for granted! (And sometimes we have to invest a bit of time and $ to get there.) So congrats.

You should smile at the end of your performances.
    Permanent favorites: 2016 Gibson L-5 WesMo, 1999 Gibson L-5CESN, 1928 Gibson L-5
    Play more, buy less

User Info Menu

Did you bring any Cheese steaks or hoagies? Welcome home bro!
    "You've got to be in the sun to feel the sun. It's that way with music too." - Sidney Bechet

User Info Menu

Joe, that sounds so wonderful ... really touching. That is what music is about. There are many ways to get there. Some get there with an army of pedals and loud amps ... and I confess that I like that too when it is done right ... but you get there with just a guitar and your hands and incredible taste.... thank you!

User Info Menu

Welcome back, Joe. Johnny Smith must surely be smiling for your continuation of his legacy and at how nice you make his guitar design sing. And ArchtopWorld.com is an absolute gem! Keep up the good work, and be happy!
    Best regards, k

User Info Menu

Hey Joe, playing is great as always. Love the tone of that guitar and it’s a beauty as well. Which KA pickup is that - the floating PAF/PAF-0? I was considering sending mine back to see if they can fix it since I stupidly broke mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

Nice to once again hear you playing, nice that your back, all is good!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker View Post
    Welcome back brother. I've always had great respect for your playing and it was nice to connect with you on a personal level as well. I'm not on here much anymore but when I do log in, it's so nice to check in on your work. Honestly, your solo playing has inspired me to want to spend a year working on that aspect of my playing.

That guitar is *HUGE* though. I once owned a 1948 super 400 and it was just too much for me but sound-wise, there's nothing like an 18" heritage or gibson!

Thanks for sharing.
    Thanks Jack.
    I'm sure it wont take anywhere near a year for you to surpass what I've done.
    Yeah the 18" is a big-ass guitar. Like I've said here before, if I had to climb on it to play it, it would be worth it.
    JD

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker View Post
    p.s. you should professionally record and release a solo guitar album.
    I'd be giving out CD's so people could use them in there gardens to keep the birds away! Thanks Jack.

Quote Originally Posted by joe2758 View Post
    nice playing
    Thanks Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Papawooly View Post
    ... And we're dam glad ye are BACK!!!

What a BIG tone from that beefy rig! Now I'm off to ArchtopWorld.com
    Hey Papa, Thank you very much. How's that L7 treating you?

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
    Good to see ya Joe...er...Max
    Mr B.. Thank you. I never really left. I appreciate it though.

Quote Originally Posted by skiboyny View Post
    Glad your back posting Joe. Things seemed unusually quiet without your presence. You are a true gentleman.
    Thank you Skiboy. I will try to be a better gentleman this time around. I promise.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max405 View Post
    Hi Everyone,
    I’ve kept myself busy during my absence from the forum. During that time, I’ve been asked by the group of friends who I’ve kept constant contact with over the past couple months to return to the forum. And I wanted to. Before I came back, There were a bunch of things I needed to take care of. One thing was to fix my relationship with Jack Zucker. Over the years we had our differences. But, I’ve developed an incredible amount of respect for Jacks knowledge and playing. Me and Vinny say that he has the most amazing control with both hands. We say he has hands like a “spider”, quickly crawling across the fretboard with speed and precision. Well, if you get to know him offline, he is equally as outstanding as a human being. I am glad he let me get to know him.
    I started a website, which was on my bucket list for quite some time. The name is ArchtopWorld.com. Check it out. Let me know what you think.
    I’ve also been working to perfect my Heritage 18” Johnny Smith. I’ve never owned a guitar that wanted to work for me more than this one. Through fret leveling, A Matt Cushman masterpiece bridge, new nut, re-wiring and most recently a new pickup I think we’ve made the big girl the best guitar I’ve ever owned.
    I’ve been busy learning too. The little brain I have is officially on overload. But I am having fun. Living out my dream.
    I recently recorded a bunch of new tunes prior to doing the latest modification to the HJS18. Well, since I had Kent Armstrong completely rebuild my pickup, I started re-recording everything on the HJS18 with Kent’s pickup. Kent’s pickup is called the PAF05. I sent him my pickup and pickguard and he returned it a week later with his pickup built and sealed into my into my existing structure. The new sound took a day to get use to. There are no more Microphonic elements to the sound. As Kent puts it, “I built the pickup to represent what I think an electric guitar pickup should sound like” The result is a powerful, efficient and balanced.. Well you be the judge.

And this one too..

Its nice to be back.
    That's beautiful playing Joe. Looking forward to hearing more of it.

John

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedawg View Post
    Thanks for coming back
    You were missed
    Blues, it is my pleasure!

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Archtop View Post
    Joe ! Buddy ! So good to see you back.
    Cheers.
    Freddy, Its good to be back with you guys. Really good.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Herron View Post
    You couldn't ask for a fatter, fuller, more beautiful sound from a guitar!
    Those are 2 of my favorite songs and your chord melody solo arrangements of them are just wonderful.
    Thanks for posting those videos for us to enjoy!

Regards,
    Steven Herron
    Learn To Play Chord Melody Guitar
    Thank you Steve. And I thank you so much for doing what you do to keep the greatness of my hero's alive. You make it possible for anyone to share the joy of being able to emulate the masters. I appreciate that.
    JD

Quote Originally Posted by Archtop Guy View Post
    Welcome home Joe. She, and you ,sound wonderful. As all your guitars do. It ain't the arrow,it's the Indian. Are you using the Thomastic 12's or 13's on her? Good to have you back Joe. AG
    That's means so much to hear, you have no idea keemosaabie..
    This one has TI George Benson 12's on it. Great strings.
    Thanks AG

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by omphalopsychos View Post
    Nice to see you back Joe. Nice to hear your excellent playing again. Nice to see your reconciliation with jz.
    Nothing not to like about this. Welcome back!
    Thanks Omph. At this point the last thing I need is negativity in my life. Jack is a good dude.

Quote Originally Posted by rpguitar View Post
    Glad you are back, Joe. Your big Heritage sounds very full and rich indeed. I confess to not remembering the way it sounded before, but the newly constructed pickup has sweet overtones and compression. It seems to respond well to a light touch, which I also like on my own guitars. Being truly satisfied with an instrument is not something to take for granted! (And sometimes we have to invest a bit of time and $ to get there.) So congrats.
    You should smile at the end of your performances.
    I am too busy trying remember what to do after the song is over to smile. Plus my smile looks fake if I just smile for no reason. Unless I do an Elvis smile..

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop View Post
    Did you bring any Cheese steaks or hoagies? Welcome home bro!
    Thanks 2B. I am on a Chicken Cheese steak kick now.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank67 View Post
    Joe, that sounds so wonderful ... really touching. That is what music is about. There are many ways to get there. Some get there with an army of pedals and loud amps ... and I confess that I like that too when it is done right ... but you get there with just a guitar and your hands and incredible taste.... thank you!
    Frankie, Thanks a lot. Im telling you, this guitar sounds good when the wind hits it a certain way. Thanks buddy.

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74 View Post
    Welcome back, Joe. Johnny Smith must surely be smiling for your continuation of his legacy and at how nice you make his guitar design sing. And ArchtopWorld.com is an absolute gem! Keep up the good work, and be happy!
    K, you have always been there with class. One day I wish I am just like you. Im working on it.

Quote Originally Posted by rio View Post
    Hey Joe, playing is great as always. Love the tone of that guitar and it’s a beauty as well. Which KA pickup is that - the floating PAF/PAF-0? I was considering sending mine back to see if they can fix it since I stupidly broke mine.
    Rio, Thanks. he calls it the PAF05. I think you would like it. Tell him you want the same one he did for me.

Quote Originally Posted by ESCC View Post
    Nice to once again hear you playing, nice that your back, all is good!
    Yes, all is good. I am glad to be back. For sure. Thanks ESCC

User Info Menu

Joe it's good to have you back man... And hearing the way the HJS sounds with the revamped pickup - that is the way the Angels at Heritage Drempt it to sound... Fine playing as always - the tone, tone, tone... Oh My !!!!

Love ya buddy... really glad I sold that guitar to you.

Big

User Info Menu

Joe- welcome back ! Nice to be back.. Heritage 18" Johnny Smith w Kent Armstrong PU I can already sense your enthusiastic participation and contributions to our group. The HJS sounds wonderful and you look very comfortable on the fingerboard. Thanks for the nice videos - it’s always a treat to watch your great playing.
    Last edited by QAman; 08-09-2018 at 09:39 PM.

User Info Menu

Welcome back JD. This forum was a veritable desert during your absence. Keep those videos coming!
    .................................................. .......................................
    "When the chord changes, you should change" Joe Pass

User Info Menu

Welcome back pazzesta chitarrista, my request is different: please record something acoustically with the 18"er HJS
    -----------------------------------

"The instrument keeps me humble. Sometimes I pick it up and it seems to say, "No, you can't play today." I keep at it anyway, though." Jim Hall

User Info Menu

Two beautiful arrangements rendered by a master guitarist. Just perfect.

Tony D.

User Info Menu

Max405+JZucker=2gentlemen

User Info Menu

Glad to see you back Joe. And as always thanks for the lessons.

And congrats on the new site ! Yup, you've been busy, and hopefully your site will result in more folks getting to know you and appreciating your playing.

All the best always Joe !!

Thanks again.

Dennis

User Info Menu

lovely playing Joe D...great tone and sound...

cheers
    Last edited by neatomic; 08-09-2018 at 09:15 PM. Reason: typo-

User Info Menu

Thanks Omph. At this point the last thing I need is negativity in my life. Jack is a good dude.

I am too busy trying remember what to do after the song is over to smile. Plus my smile looks fake if I just smile for no reason. Unless I do an Elvis smile..

Thanks 2B. I am on a Chicken Cheese steak kick now.

Frankie, Thanks a lot. Im telling you, this guitar sounds good when the wind hits it a certain way. Thanks buddy.

K, you have always been there with class. One day I wish I am just like you. Im working on it.

Rio, Thanks. he calls it the PAF05. I think you would like it. Tell him you want the same one he did for me.

Yes, all is good. I am glad to be back. For sure. Thanks ESCC
    Thanks for the suggestion! I’ll likely need a new pickguard to go with the pickup since I broke the pickup trying to remove it from the guard (gorilla glue is unbreakable I guess).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigMikeinNJ View Post
    Joe it's good to have you back man... And hearing the way the HJS sounds with the revamped pickup - that is the way the Angels at Heritage Drempt it to sound... Fine playing as always - the tone, tone, tone... Oh My !!!!

Love ya buddy... really glad I sold that guitar to you.

Big
    You and me both big Mikey.
    Kent should have been making pickups for Heritage for years. I’m sure if they asked him to, he would do a good job.
    Thank you for everything Mike. I really mean it.

Quote Originally Posted by QAman View Post
    Joe- welcome back ! Nice to be back.. Heritage 18" Johnny Smith w Kent Armstrong PU I can already sense your enthusiast participation and contributions to our group. The HJS sounds wonderful and you look very comfortable on the fingerboard. Thanks for the nice videos - it’s always a treat to watch your great playing.
    QA,
    if you play, collect or just plain love Jazz Guitars, this forum is the place to be. Nobody fits that criteria more than you. Add to it your experience and history with the legends of Lutherie, your participation is paramount to the greatness of the forum. And I will never forget the support you have always given me. Thanks QA

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger View Post
    Welcome back JD. This forum was a veritable desert during your absence. Keep those videos coming!
    SS, Naaa, it was fine. I am just glad to be a part of it. Thanks for sticking with me. All the great advice you give me is priceless to me. Thanks SS.

Quote Originally Posted by medblues View Post
    Welcome back pazzesta chitarrista, my request is different: please record something acoustically with the 18"er HJS
    Medblues! I missed you man. I will have to put some more lively strings on the guitar for that. It could more than handle it though..

Quote Originally Posted by pilotony View Post
    Two beautiful arrangements rendered by a master guitarist. Just perfect.
    Tony D.
    Tony D, thanks for sticking by me. Tony D, the class of the organization. Thanks, JD

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A. View Post
    That's beautiful playing Joe. Looking forward to hearing more of it.
    John
    Thank you John A. I am looking forward to sharing. Believe me I get more out of this then you guys. I appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by gcb View Post
    Max405+JZucker=2gentlemen
    i will strive to live up to that. Thank you GCB!

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis D View Post
    Glad to see you back Joe. And as always thanks for the lessons.
    And congrats on the new site ! Yup, you've been busy, and hopefully your site will result in more folks getting to know you and appreciating your playing.
    All the best always Joe !!
    Thanks again.
    Dennis
    Dennis, it’s really great to see you again. It’s great to be back. Thanks for all the nice things you say and do.
    Joe D

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic View Post
    lovely playing Joe D...great tone and and sound...
    cheers
    Neatomic, you were instrumental in me staying engaged. I won’t forget that.
    Thanks and this is a really special guitar.

User Info Menu

JGF is now officially off life support.

User Info Menu

SS, Naaa, it was fine. I am just glad to be a part of it. Thanks for sticking with me. All the great advice you give me is priceless to me. Thanks SS.

OK here is some new advice: DO NOT SELL THAT GUITAR!!!!
    .................................................. .......................................
    "When the chord changes, you should change" Joe Pass

User Info Menu

It's a happier place! By all means, feel welcome back.

Your new site is great too, Joe.
    "Don't worry about that. Everybody talks about finding your voice. Do your homework and your voice will find you." - Branford Marsalis

User Info Menu

i didn't know chicken cheese steaks were a thing. that sounds wonderful. but i have a cheese steak so rarely that i'm unsure if i have the heart to get an ersatz version of one, no matter how good it is. but i'm starting to talk myself into it.

also, that's some fancy jazzing you got there. its nice to see someone do what they are meant to. i have a floating kent armstrong creation of some sort, too and damn if it doesn't sound amazing. hope to hear more of yours soon.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k View Post
    JGF is now officially off life support.
    HaHa! Naa bro, there’s still plenty of life left here. Live it up !

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger View Post
    OK here is some new advice: DO NOT SELL THAT GUITAR!!!!
    the original owner Don Dean was said to have collection of over 200 guitars. Merle’s guitars, Chet’s guitars, DA’s, 400’s you name it. When he passed away, he had only one left. It was in the case under his bed. It was our beloved Heritage 18” Johnny Smith. This guitar does something to you bro. It’s a sweetheart. The only Joe DeNisco who will be selling this guitar will be my son, Joey - when I’m a goner.. Who by the way, got his drivers license yesterday! God help us!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Sherry View Post
    It's a happier place! By all means, feel welcome back.
    Your new site is great too, Joe.
    thank you Sam. I am really happy to. It’s like we got the band back together!

User Info Menu

Hi Everyone,

And this one too..

Its nice to be back.
    Beautiful Joe, just beautiful.

I missed your presence on the forum deeply. It seems like in the last several months some of the "snap" has gone out of the place, and I think it was partly because you weren't here to keep us playing, keep us doing the music, and remembering what we're really here for.

Welcome back, and thanks for coming back.
    - Lawson
    "Whenever you come near the human race, there's layers and layers of nonsense." - Thornton Wilder, Our Town

User Info Menu

And Joe got his Rose

Nice to be back.. Heritage 18" Johnny Smith w Kent Armstrong PU-3e42eb34-448e-4537-a820-d9d5e473c947-jpg

User Info Menu

Wow, someting just happened here.
    The JGF just woke up.
    Check out the folks that have checked in and liked this thread. Lotta past /current regulars, it's old home week!
    Yo Joe!
    p.s, 18's usually sound that much fuller to me , though there's a few 17's and even 16s laying around here that I wouldn't trade regardless of size
    In the end it's just a case by case basis as there are so many variables. Keep on keepin" on....

I

User Info Menu

Joe, SO thrilled you're back!

Your knowledge, your general comments on everything from song choices through techniques thru gear, and your videos ae some of what keeps me plunking away.

Missed reading your comments and hearing you play.

Nice website too, btw ...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Great videos Joe! I always enjoy hearing and seeing you play. You have your HJS18 sounding close to perfect. I am happy that we have you back and posting again.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone View Post
    Beautiful Joe, just beautiful.
    I missed your presence on the forum deeply. It seems like in the last several months some of the "snap" has gone out of the place, and I think it was partly because you weren't here to keep us playing, keep us doing the music, and remembering what we're really here for.

Welcome back, and thanks for coming back.
    Lawson, Thank you so much. JGF is an institution. And I mean that in a good way. Posting here is priviledge and some of my posts prior to my leave should have gotten me banned. I appreciate the respect I got from the moderators and I am very glad to still be here. We have to talk. I finally got my practice setup down and I love it. Thanks Again.

And Joe got his Rose

Nice to be back.. Heritage 18" Johnny Smith w Kent Armstrong PU-3e42eb34-448e-4537-a820-d9d5e473c947-jpg
    Oh yeah..
    You know, someone here told me once, ahh.. once you have have it you wont even notice it.. Not true. Every damn time I pick up the guitar, I flip it so the top is facing me and I look at the Rose. And I look at Johnny's signature. It sets the tone for the session. I am really getting everything out of this that I can.. Thanks to you big man, with the even bigger heart.
    L,J

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon View Post
    Wow, someting just happened here.
    The JGF just woke up.
    Check out the folks that have checked in and liked this thread. Lotta past /current regulars, it's old home week!
    Yo Joe!
    p.s, 18's usually sound that much fuller to me , though there's a few 17's and even 16s laying around here that I wouldn't trade regardless of size
    In the end it's just a case by case basis as there are so many variables. Keep on keepin" on....
    I
    Wintermoon, Yeah it needed a nap from the last time I was here! No more, Greatest Jazz Guitar Ever Threads from me.. What the heck was I thinking??
    You are so right about all sizes of guitars being capable of big sound. But there is something about sitting behind that big-ass standup bass looking guitar I have and feeling the energy pour out of it that puts me in awe.. And can you imagine if I took the "hairs" off of it and put some real strings on it? AND>> Learned how to pick with more force? Oh my..
    Thanks WM.
    PS, where is your twin brother Greentone?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by R Neil View Post
    Joe, SO thrilled you're back!
    Your knowledge, your general comments on everything from song choices through techniques thru gear, and your videos are some of what keeps me plunking away.
    Missed reading your comments and hearing you play.
    Nice website too, btw ...
    Aww thanks R Neil. I am happy to be back. I am glad you find something good in what I do. I am gonna have my wife read this later. She might find it sexy. I might get lucky later.. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Cushman View Post
    Great videos Joe! I always enjoy hearing and seeing you play. You have your HJS18 sounding close to perfect. I am happy that we have you back and posting again.
    You hear that bro? And it doesn't even have the big bridge base on it. I change it up from time to time. I've been drooling over the blonde you had still available in May, with the soundhole. Oh my God. What a beauty!
    Thank You Matt.

User Info Menu

Welcome back, Joe !

Magnificent sound and playing !
    More reverb than usually ? Sounds heavenly !

All the best for this fresh new page.

User Info Menu

Joe,

Great to have you back. I checked out the archtopworld.com site and really like it. Nicely done. Thanks for posting the two new clips. They are really fine work--of course.

I am greatly intrigued by your new KA PAF 05 pickup. It sounds tremendous on the 18" JS. I'm going to have to look into getting one, too. (Darn it. I thought I was over new gear acquisition. Nope.)

Keep inspiring us all.

GT

User Info Menu

And Joe got his Rose
    Yes it matches the one on his butt cheek.