The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 222

User Info Menu

For obvious reasons many compare the L-4 to the 175, I tend to think that the L-4 may compare more favorably to a 575 Custom, anyone have a perspective?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ESCC
    For obvious reasons many compare the L-4 to the 175, I tend to think that the L-4 may compare more favorably to a 575 Custom, anyone have a perspective?
    Yeah it could be for sure. Personally, I tend to think of the L4 as a more comfortable L5.

User Info Menu

After all the L-4 talk I pulled my 2009 out last week and haven't put away since. I had been a while since I played it but I am always amazed how lucky I am to own one. I think you will enjoy the guitar and I am looking forward to you review.
    Thanks John

Quote Originally Posted by ESCC
    I've only briefly played an L4CES in a local store, but I hope not. Being 2.75" in depth the 575 is a great guitar in its own right. But like the Sweet 16, the 575 is limited by its lack of depth. Some obviously prefer a thinner archtop. I'm not in that camp. The Artist Award, at 3.25" depth taught me the deeper an archtop is, the better. Better is always subjective to an individuals tastes.

User Info Menu

i started with a 175 - gigged that for maybe three years

sold it to get an L4 which i played for another three years or so

i was so thrilled with it

the 175 was my first proper (break the bank) guitar (i've never been able to afford my guitars - there's always been a serious element of insanity about getting them. i bet that's true of a lot of us.)

all my heroes played it - etc. etc.

but i wanted something thicker and fatter and warmer and less cutting

and the L4 delivered that in spades

now i need the cut of the 175 sound - and i think the L4 might not work for me at all

if there is a guitar in the world that is more - LUSH - than the L4, i don't know what it is

Quote Originally Posted by silverfoxx
    Joe , just try one ,you will immediately know the difference , mine was solid mahogany back
    and sides, with a Bill Gagnon AB bridge, the size belies its fat tone . Once smitten you'll
    want one. I'll watch this space!

Alan
    You don't know unless you try. Wine Red with a 'hog back appeal to you Joe? I know someone who has a "mint" L4 at a reasonable price. Most dealers I've found price these L4's in the stratosphere and don't budge much. I've seen many many used L4's priced at or near $4k. Sure, they don't sell...duh. Which is why until now another reason why I've not owned an L4.

Oh wait a sec...you're on a GJS journey...disregard!

User Info Menu

Never having had a Gibson hollowbody git made of anything but maple left me wondering what the differences between maple and mahogany or another wood will be.

By chance two Ibanez models made of laminated mahogany became available at a really reasonable price point and I bought them both.

They turned out to sound so different than my other two maple laminated models it left me wanting an "extended" try out period with an L4-CES... Someday... maybe.

In an old post here a user had an expression they use in his country and translated it:

"who buys cheap stuff, buys twice."

User Info Menu

Oh yes, my L-4CES was "my" break the bank guitar. I felt guilty for more than a couple of months but I am for sure over that now!
    Thanks John

Quote Originally Posted by GNAPPI
    Never having had a Gibson hollowbody git made of anything but maple left me wondering what the differences between maple and mahogany or another wood will be.

By chance two Ibanez models made of laminated mahogany became available at a really reasonable price point and I bought them both.

They turned out to sound so different than my other two maple laminated models it left me wanting an "extended" try out period with an L4-CES... Someday... maybe.

In an old post here a user had an expression they use in his country and translated it:

"who buys cheap stuff, buys twice."
    Thanks for sharing Gary!

I've often found guitars of the same manufacturer and wood type sound different. I'd say every Golden Eagle I've owned had a different sound. Only the Super Eagles were more consistent.

I found my first L5CES was much different than the last two. The first had the "it" factor. So much so that the first spoiled me against the latter two guitars...they were like "meh."

I'm thinking no two guitars sound alike. And where Gibson is concerned I'm thinking the Tal Farlow is the true champ for its used price and performance availability. The TF has "it!"

User Info Menu

The L4CES and Tal Farlow. All you really need.

My final L4CES. I said that when I bought the version with Maple back and sides. Oh well, that's how it goes. Time for an a/b session.

Gibson L-4 CES Owners-cpnr3cngvvrgtwsrmemm-jpg

Gibson L-4 CES Owners-ekhit0rgkrirracnfs1g-jpg

Gibson L-4 CES Owners-lehujvnmcy7yge9i4usc-jpg

Gibson L-4 CES Owners-tl69mky69rh9kmfxm9cc-jpg

Gibson L-4 CES Owners-kgvpbi9yric1vh2qq46h-jpg
    Last edited by 2bornot2bop; 11-04-2016 at 10:22 PM.

User Info Menu

What year? Signed by Jim Hutchins?

Thanks!

'09. Not this one. The '06 Maple back is a Hutchins

User Info Menu

Amazing condition. There isn't a centre seam in the Mahogany back. I like the reddidh-brown tint. The photography is not to your usual high standards.

Is that a reflection of something long snaking across your ceiling because I see a long squiggle in the lower bout of the backside? Or is it, , a long lacquer check?

What's the matter with these L-4CESs that they always look immaculate and unplayed?

Great guitar! Congrats!

User Info Menu

The L4CES is so right. The most Symmetrical guitar design ever along with premium appointments. Vinny says the Mahogany back makes the most perfect sounding guitar. Every string is evenly balanced with perfect warmth. I cant wait to see what you do with those guitars. They are not just pictures. They can be "Vargas" type art.

User Info Menu

I have been watching that L-4CES. I believe the sellar picked that up from a collector along with a few other guitars that were absolutely stunning and very well priced.

Well done 2bop.

User Info Menu

I love mine and will die with it in my hands. Gibson's best kept secret. Hard to play a 175 after playing the L4CES. Like comparing a ball bearing and a rock. Congrats Greg though no pics to see. Mine has angels dwelling inside of it.
    They have a sound of their own. Not like a L5 or 175. A sweeter tone. Angelic sounding. Tal's and L4's !

User Info Menu

Congratulations, 'hog & spruce are a combination that's been tempting me for a long, long time.

User Info Menu

Vinny has summed it up perfectly, the only similarity
    with a 175 is the shape. Foolishly I exchanged mine
    for another . unfortunately they are not plentiful here
    i have GAS for another which I'm fighting against, 'tho
    finding one in the same condition as Vinny's would be
    a challenge this side of the pond. The Wine Red and
    rarer Ebony finish has great appeal. Their tone is
    something else.

Congrats 2b on your NGD , if you can repost pics
    Others and I would love to see it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    I love mine and will die with it in my hands. Gibson's best kept secret. Hard to play a 175 after playing the L4CES. Like comparing a ball bearing and a rock. Congrats Greg though no pics to see. Mine has angels dwelling inside of it.
    They have a sound of their own. Not like a L5 or 175. A sweeter tone. Angelic sounding. Tal's and L4's !
    Yours has an angel dwelling outside of it too..

I have inquired about buying pretty much every one of Vinny's guitars and he would reluctantly part with just about every one of them at a price less than what he paid. However, when I asked him about his L4CES, he said, "yeah I'll send it to you, but id rather not lose money on it, because I ll never get another one like it. So your price would be.." I think it was like $8,000 or something ridiculous. (insert sinster laugh). Bottom line, Vinny would sell it, but kicking and screaming and only if I was STUPID enough to pay twice the going rate.
    I re-iterate, that is ONLY guitar Vinny wouldn't sell to me at a lose.. And, I've only bought the Tal and the Solid Formed from Vinny, both at well below what he paid for them..

Vin, surely you mean the L4 is the Rock and the 175 is the ball bearing, right?? Kidding.

JD
    Last edited by Max405; 11-04-2016 at 09:01 PM.

User Info Menu

I have a mahogany/spruce archtop of a much more modest pedigree, an Eastman, which I love dearly. What makes that combination of woods special? Jim Soloway said in another thread it was one of his favorites, and other builders seem to like it too.

User Info Menu

Mahog is famous for bringing a characteristic mellow tone (more middle ends) when used for back & sides of guitars. It's even more obvious if you try flatop made out of mahog as compared to rosewood. Some call it 'woody tone' or 'jazz tone' too.

User Info Menu

Thanks Jabs,
    That is on my radar already. I am watching like the proverbial vulture
    preferably for the Wine Red version , mint cond,. The natural finish in
    Mairants is similar to my 2008. which I only recently moved on, to my
    regret.
    Your previous occupation I guess ,was a master sleuth with an
    encyclopaedic knowledge.

Hope all's well my friend
    Last edited by silverfoxx; 11-04-2016 at 05:46 PM.

User Info Menu

I played a 1989 (I think) L-4CES last week at la Vonne's music. It had a laminated mahogany back and sides and was signed off by Hutch. It seemed a bit lighter than my 2009 carved back and possibly was brighter too. I had been playing my L-4 the evening before so I thought it was a fair comparison. It is a well played guitar as it showed the good kind of wear. They have several other archtops including a L-5 and a 1945 Eppi among others.
    Thanks John

User Info Menu

Still have my '88 L4CES .... I've thought about selling it a few times

But then I pull it out to shine it up ... and it just sounds too good to let go

2B

Goo luck with your NGD