Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
Posts 201 to 206 of 206

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by L4CESN
    I haven’t been here in a while. I’ve ended up with two of these. The ‘89 (bottom right) I’ve had for almost 30 years. The ‘05 (top left) is a recent purchase. It’s kind of redundant having two, but I couldn’t not buy it. These guitars are rare in my neck of the woods. I wouldn’t mind trading toward an L5 if the opportunity ever arose locally.

You’re very fortunate. That’s a gorgeous pair of blondes right there.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by L4CESN
    I haven’t been here in a while. I’ve ended up with two of these. The ‘89 (bottom right) I’ve had for almost 30 years. The ‘05 (top left) is a recent purchase. It’s kind of redundant having two, but I couldn’t not buy it. These guitars are rare in my neck of the woods. I wouldn’t mind trading toward an L5 if the opportunity ever arose locally.

Glad to meet a fellow enthusiast with two L-4CES. I have an ASB from 2000 and a single neck pup Blondie from October 2010. The guy who custom-ordered it from Gibson consigned it to Archtop dot com in December 2010! I bought it in January 2011.

User Info Menu

Hi all, been lurking for a while now but finally got around to registering.

This guitar is for sale a couple of subway stops from me (in Hong Kong) and I was thinking about going to have a look at it.

Serial number suggests July 1988 build, but I was wondering about the back? I was under the impression - possibly from this thread - that the L4-CES from this era, the sunburst extended to the back?

Gibson L-4 CES 1988 | eBay

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rhayader
    Hi all, been lurking for a while now but finally got around to registering.

This guitar is for sale a couple of subway stops from me (in Hong Kong) and I was thinking about going to have a look at it.

Serial number suggests July 1988 build, but I was wondering about the back? I was under the impression - possibly from this thread - that the L4-CES from this era, the sunburst extended to the back?

Gibson L-4 CES 1988 | eBay
    Gorgeous mahogany back. No, the sunburst wouldn’t go on the back of the mahogany.

User Info Menu

No one is absolutely sure if the mahogany is solid or laminate from this era. I own a 1989, and also had a 2005 solid mahogany L4CES. I’ve just sold the 2005 and kept the 1989.

Both of mine are blonde, so I can’t comment on the burst extending around the back. I can tell you that the case is not the original case (it’s likely from the early 2000’s).

Also, it’s obviously missing the pickguard. Sometimes, they can rot and fall apart. Sometimes people just prefer them removed. It’s worth asking about, because it’s not easy, or maybe not even possible to get an accurate replacement due to the materials used and the binding.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the replies! I had asked about the pickguard and it's missing for as-yet-unexplained reasons. I suspect it was removed due to disintegration, but I might go and have a look at it (given it is so close) and see if there are any other signs of damage. I has also heard they can be difficult to replace. Also, thanks for the tip on the case!

Just on the ongoing value of these guitars, I am buying something to play (at home) but also hoping for an instrument that will at least hold its value or possibly appreciate over years. I know it's a bit like predicting the lottery numbers, but would welcome any opinions on whether the L4-CES is a model that us considered "desirable" and likely to stay that way.

It 's hard to get a feel for these things as a relative novice, because it seems like some less-well-made models fare well due to limited production numbers or they have something unique, whereas reading about the L4-CES, it seems the manufacturing quality was quite high, but prices don't seem crazy (yet?).