The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 49

User Info Menu

End of next week I will be in Tokyo for a few days. I hope to find the time to drop in at Masaki's Walkin' and perhaps one or two other shops.

Does anyone in this forum owns, or has tried an Archtop Tribute or Roseo Ladybug guitar? What are/were your experiences?

I am looking for a 16' guitar, or smaller, with decent acoustic sound. I already have a Seventy Seven Hawk Jazz, and an Exrubato, so these are not the guitars I am looking for. Westville is great, but above my budget. Thanks.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I am curious about archtop tribute as well. Especially their 17inch and the BK model. Looking forward to read your toughts about you visit!

User Info Menu

Masaki-san's Walkin takes some finding according to someone from Australia who visited. It is located in a side alley off the main road and up a flight of stairs.

Rozeo Ladybug looks like it is exclusive to Miki Gakki. Very cool quirky guitars. I hope to get two or three one day.

The Archtop Tributes are mainly Gibson clones. The more expensive ones have nitrocellulose lacquer and possibly Honduran Mahogany necks. The ES-150 Charlie Christian and ES-350 Barney Kessel clones look promising.

I like Westville Aruba dedign a lot.

Hope to get your feedback on these guitars.
    Last edited by Jabberwocky; 07-26-2018 at 04:17 AM.

User Info Menu

The 350BK by Archtop Tribute is gorgeous. If you get a chance to play one, please evaluate it for us.

User Info Menu

Found some photos on Reverb-very inviting:
    - AT350 / AT350 Classic / Spec. -
    Body : Plywood (Hard Maple/Spruce)
    Body width : 17”
    Body depth : 3 1/3”
    Scale Length : 25 1/2”
    Neck : Hard Maple / Walnut 3-piece
    Fretboard : Santos Rosewood
    Bridge ASSY : Santos Rosewood (Custom Made)
    :

User Info Menu

And...
    Archtop Tribute, Rozeo Ladybug, or...?-atbk-jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    The 350BK by Archtop Tribute is gorgeous. If you get a chance to play one, please evaluate it for us.
    The ATC150CC looks georgeous too. Both are in stock; I hope to find the time to try them.

User Info Menu

I had the opportunity to visit the Walkin' shop during a holiday trip to Tokyo. I admit, I spent most of my time there to test some ES175 of various Millesimes and the Archtop Tribute ES 175 clone which I liked a lot. Very nice guitar and quite cheap.

I have an Archtop tribute AT175. It sounds fantastic and is very comfortable to play.
    Currently the model is called ATC175, with some changes compared to the AT175, but it is also more expensive.

Archtop Tribute, Rozeo Ladybug, or...?-dsc02172-jpg

User Info Menu

Notice the bridge on the BK. It's a dead on copy of the custom bridge that Kessel installed on his customized Gibson ES-350.
    Archtop Tribute, Rozeo Ladybug, or...?-bkbridge-jpg

User Info Menu

Hi Stevus, I live in Tokyo and Walkin is a must see... when your in Shibuya just look for or ask for the high rise shopping center “Hikarie”. If your standing at the front entrance of Hikarie on the street turn to your right and walk up that street about half a block on your right. You will see a blue sign and it’s up the stairs. There is also a good store in Ochanomizu that carries a good selection of Archtop guitars both new and used. If you need more info drop me a line. Enjoy your trip to Japan.!

Back from Tokyo and still dizzy from the many shops and guitars available. So that required some selection. Walkin' is not too difficult to find if you know what exit from the subway to use. I tried a couple of Archtop Tributes and Westville guitars, including a few prototypes.

The ATC350BK and ATC150CC are great guitars. I loved them both. Craftmanship and playability are excellent. The ATC350BK had my preference though has a fatter 1950s neck. The ATC150CC is a typical rhythm and solo guitar in the Charlie Christian style. In the ATC350BK I recognised that dry jazzy BK sound. The 350BK also has these typical buttons, BK was so fond of. Looks great. Craftmanship is excellent, not surprisingly, as these two models are Westville guitars too.
    I also compared the ATC350BK with the standard model, a great guitar too, but a substantial difference between the two. The CC pickups are great and worth the extra money.

Westville guitars are top-notch. I have tried a Solar D and two prototypes of different Aruba models, one of which had that typical Kenny Burrell sound. Elswhere in Tokyo I tried a Heritage Kenny Burrell Signature and could conclude that the Westville was the better guitar. What helps too is that Masaki, owner of the store, is a nice and knowledgable guy. Lots of the hardware on the Westville guitars he makes himself.

User Info Menu

Are Westville guitars and Archtop Tribute different companies? Are they connected in some way? I see Archtop Tribute guitars (ES-350 styled) on Reverb, but no Westville models per sae (like the Aruba) on Reverb.

Yes, they are connected. Both brands are exclusively distributed by Walkin' in Shibuya, Tokyo. The Westville guitars are handmade.

User Info Menu

Thanks-They appear higher-end, and that is reflected in the price. The "Aruba", for example, is $3797 USD.
    I wish they'd offer that line on Reverb!

User Info Menu

In Japan there have always been lines of instruments that were sold domestically but not exported. Really high end, generally. Westville is such a line.

Walkin' does export their guitars all over the world.

User Info Menu

I checked out the website, and stevus is correct. The 350BK Archtop Tribute, made by Westville, is about $3K USD.

User Info Menu

Here is a quote from WALKiN/Westville Guitars based on my recent inquiry into the "Aruba" model:

"But of course we ship the guitar overseas. Our selling price of the Aruba including a hard case is JPY420,000 and shipping cost via EMS would be JPY20,000 or around including the insurance."

FYI: JPY 420000 in USD = $3795 + $180.71 Shipping & Insurance

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by carlescountry
    I have an Archtop tribute AT175. It sounds fantastic and is very comfortable to play.
    Currently the model is called ATC175, with some changes compared to the AT175, but it is also more expensive.

Archtop Tribute, Rozeo Ladybug, or...?-dsc02172-jpg
    I'd imagine it is better made than a Gibson 175 and certainly looks the part.

Well, it seems that Jesse Van Ruller said they sounded better than the current Gibson ES175 with a much lower price!

User Info Menu

All that tone from a JPY148 000 guitar. Gibson may well never make another ES-175 but its spirit will live on in the DNA of its progeny flung far in Japan.

User Info Menu

Does anyone know if the Archtop Tribute AT105 is finished in nitro lacquer or is Poly? Their reverb ads say absolutely nothing. Thanks in advanced!

User Info Menu

I just listened to the AT105 clip again. I don't care if the finish is poly, nitro, or Crayola crayon. Hot damn that guitar sounds great! It gets THE sound, no?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    Does anyone know if the Archtop Tribute AT105 is finished in nitro lacquer or is Poly? Their reverb ads say absolutely nothing. Thanks in advanced!
    It is thin poly-someting. The ATC-175 has a nitrocellulose finish and a Honduran Mahogany neck and that is why it costs JPY230 000. The ATC105 uses African Mahogany, I think, Khaya ivorensis, a good wood.

But that tone of the ATC105 in the video floors me.