The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 63 of 63

User Info Menu

I think everybody needs to send me their expensive guitars which I will then gig with and offer an objective review.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I gig with my 1952 ES-350 and 1961 L-7c. What I take depends on the gig.. and that includes the type of venue. If its a packed bar then I'm taking the Telecaster!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Vinnie
    Great arrangement, and I'm in love with the second tenor's sax, looks like an old Selmer Super Action or an early Mark VI ... maybe even a cigar cutter?
    I love Sammy Nestico charts--almost never the same chord progressions twice.

That tenor guy subs with us from time to time. Since I'm sitting behind him, I have no idea what he was playing. All those guys have a ton of horns.

Danny W.

User Info Menu

I play a 54 es175 on gigs. But i have it fully insured! Life on the Road is dangerous, and you’re always taking a chance when you bring it out. But I’m a musician and I wouldn’t own a guitar that I can’t play out!... - A friend of mine just broke the headstock of his Johnny Smith... shit happens...
    Last edited by FPC-music; 07-22-2018 at 11:52 AM.

User Info Menu

Do classical musicians gig with their expensive instruments?

Gibson Stradivarius - Wikipedia

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ThatRhythmMan
    Do classical musicians gig with their expensive instruments?

Gibson Stradivarius - Wikipedia
    In my orchestra, everyone is playing with their best instrument. There is milions of dollars on stage every rehersals or concerts. I play with my Walter a 30000$ basson almost everyday. The only time you see a classical musician use a cheaper instrument is in outdoor concerts, if their best is serviced or if they try a new instrument.

User Info Menu

Even when the bass player takes their cheap bass, that’s still a few grand lying around where drunk idiots can trip over it.

User Info Menu

I think you should play as you practise. So yes, I take my L5 out on a gig. I keep a good eye at my guitar and look for a safe place to put in during the breaks.

User Info Menu

Nice guitar, what amp are you using ?

Quote Originally Posted by smmllr
    My Sadowsky Jim Hall wasn't cheap, but it was designed and built as a gigging guitar, so I gig with it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by electricfactory
    Nice guitar, what amp are you using ?
    In that photo, looks like I was using a ZT Acoustic, which has a mic input, so if I'm lazy I can substitute it for the PA by patching it into a cab and daisy-chaining to a mini monitor. Usually I mic a Roland Cube 30 into the PA. Since I play about 1/3 jazz and 2/3 blues-ragtime, I like its modeling option between acoustic and Jazz Chorus.

User Info Menu

Hmm, wonder how many others are using a Roland Cube for clean jazz tone.

Quote Originally Posted by smmllr
    ....Usually I mic a Roland Cube 30 into the PA. Since I play about 1/3 jazz and 2/3 blues-ragtime, I like its modeling option between acoustic and Jazz Chorus.

User Info Menu

I practice with my Cube 30x often. I changed the speaker out for an Eminence Delta Demon and it sounds phenomenal. Good enough that when I used to have a Henriksen Convertible I ended up selling it to a student because I couldn’t really justify needing it with how good the 30x sounded after the speaker replacement. I only use it for practice now because I still like the amp but nothing beats slinging my Bud over my shoulder walking to a gig and it is lighter (the speaker added some weight) and louder. But they are great amps - it’s a shame they stopped making them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

A long time ago, I decided to retire my then-number-one guitar (a 50s ES-175,) from live gigging, because of its increasing value, fragility etc. Gibson made me a new 175 with p90s (and some other custom silliness) to replace it. The thing is...I never enjoyed playing the new guitar as much, and found myself wishing I had it on gigs. I realized i'd rather enjoy myself, and -just not worry about it. If something happens to one of my 50s Gibsons (a couple of L5s, a Byrdland, an ES175), that would be a bummer, but it would also be a bummer if something happened to a $500 Epiphone. For me, I'd rather just enjoy them.