The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 107

User Info Menu

It appears from the WTB thread over in the For Sale section (Trenier Jazz Special) that there are a few members (including myself) that have upcoming commissioned archtop guitars being built for them by Uzes, France luthier Bryant Trenier. Instead of continuing to add posts to that thread, I thought that creating a dedicated thread here in the Gear, Amps & Gizmos section to discuss Bryant’s work.

I spent some time with Bryant and was able to audition a number of his instruments at the Woodstock Invitational Luthiers Showcase in both 2014 and 2017. Last November, I made the decision to have Bryant build me a an archtop. We have not worked out all the details yet beyond some basic specifications:

Lower Bout - 17”
    Rim Depth - 3-1/8”
    Nut Width - 1-3/4”
    Scale Length - 25-1/4”
    Top Wood - Norway Spruce
    Back & Sides: Fiddleback, Sycamore Maple
    Cutaway - Venetian
    Bracing - X-Brace

I suspect most the collaborative design decisions will be made later this year in the Autumn. The construction should begin in earnest towards the end of the year and the instrument should be delivered next Spring. I will share progress here as it comes together.
    Last edited by iim7V7IM7; 07-09-2018 at 09:51 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Sounds very nice

His guitars photograph nice and have agreat reputation

User Info Menu

I like your choice of scale length, heh.

User Info Menu

The 16" Comins Zelig that you played at Woodstock in 2016 also has a 25-1/4" (641 mm) scale length...

Who else here has a guitar with Bryant in the queue, what is it and when are you expecting it?

User Info Menu

I don’t have a guitar in the works, but Bryant is going to be making a reproduction pickguard for a pre-war D’Angelico Style B for me.

User Info Menu

It's good to see Bryant getting some work from the members here. My 2011 Excel has been my #1 guitar since the day I brought it home. It elicits compliments and wonder everywhere I take it. My 2013 Special (sort of a D'Angelico JS w/ D'Aquisto influences) is my go to guitar when I plug in. My teacher wants to play it whenever we meet. Good luck and godspeed on yours 2-5.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7
    The 16" Comins Zelig that you played at Woodstock in 2016 also has a 25-1/4" (641 mm) scale length... ...[ ]...
    Aha!. Yet another reason why I liked it so much! My Heritage Super Patrick was built with a 25 1/4" scale as well.
    I look forward to seeing pix of the Trenier as it takes shape.

User Info Menu

Better than that perhaps if you make it to the Artisan Guitar Show next April you can play it...

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    Aha!. Yet another reason why I liked it so much! My Heritage Super Patrick was built with a 25 1/4" scale as well.
    I look forward to seeing pix of the Trenier as it takes shape.

User Info Menu

I will be there as well (without the Trenier which will likely only be on the drawing board at that point) but I should have a couple nice flat tops with me...

Also, archtop luthiers exhibitingthis year are:

American Archtop Guitars (Dale Unger)Borghino Guitars (Mirko Borghino)
    Comins Guitars (Bill Comins)
    Benoit Lavoie Luthier
    BC Kingston Guitars (Brian Kingston)
    Manzer Guitars (Linda Manzer)
    Pagelli Guitars (Claudia & Claudio Pagelli)
    Ken Parker Archtops
    Pfifer Guitars (Woody Pfifer)

Solomon Guitars (Erich Solomon)
    Maegen Wells Guitars & Mandolins)

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    I'll definitely be at Woodstock. Don't know about Artisan yet.
    Last edited by iim7V7IM7; 07-10-2018 at 09:32 PM.

User Info Menu

As I stated in the WTB Trenier Jazz Special thread, I just ordered a Jazz Special from Bryant the other day. Needless to say, I'm very excited, which means I'll have to be very patient, as the guitar won't be delivered until January 2020.

Bryant built me a superb instrument in the Fall of 2009. It was a custom 17" Magnolia Classic. Bryant is not only a very talented artist, but he's also a wonderful guy. I'm really looking forward to going through the build process with him again.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kamlapati
    It's good to see Bryant getting some work from the members here. My 2011 Excel has been my #1 guitar since the day I brought it home. It elicits compliments and wonder everywhere I take it. My 2013 Special (sort of a D'Angelico JS w/ D'Aquisto influences) is my go to guitar when I plug in. My teacher wants to play it whenever we meet. Good luck and godspeed on yours 2-5.
    Did anyone else notice the JoeD sighting on kamlapati's post?

Trenier Guitars (Luthier Bryant Trenier)-mx-jpg

User Info Menu

The 16" Comins Zelig that you played at Woodstock in 2016 also has a 25-1/4" (641 mm) scale length...

Who else here has a guitar with Bryant in the queue, what is it and when are you expecting it?
    As anyone following the WTB Trenier Jazz Special thread probably guessed, I signed up for the 2020 Jazz Special queue. I am very spoiled, as I already have an Andersen laminate Vanguard which I've owned since 2013 as my main guitar and which I likely keep even if the Trenier becomes my no. 1 guitar (I expect it will since I'm spec-ing the neck to be a bit closer to my liking and it will have a slightly shallower body depth to make standing more comfortable). Twice in the past I almost pulled the trigger on a Trenier...finally took the plunge. Very excited, but I'm also very comfortable with the waiting period til 2020. Life is so busy that the months, seasons, years just fly by these days. It will be interesting to see the final product of the 4 Jazz Specials in this build queue in terms of finish choices and other details.

User Info Menu

Back in 2003, Bryant and fellow luthiers Ondrej Holoubek and Andrew Pitts joined together to purchase a tree trunk harvested from the Sumava forest in the southern Bohemia region of the Czech Republic (this region borders Germany & Austria). They had it sawn into wedges and then eventually into billets. Bryant’s portion of the log was stored in his father-in-law’s attic outside of Prague for the last 15-years. He retrieved the 10 sets recently and brought the sets back to his workshop in Uzes, France.

Bryant’s commenting on the wood on FB said:

“The result; quite honestly, some of the best wood for musical instrument soundboards that I have ever come across. It feels great to take part in a process as lengthy as this has been, though shocking to think how time flies. I'll be taking orders for instruments made with this spruce in the coming year - this is wood which is very dear to me, and will certainly inspire my best work yet.”

I have asked Bryant to use a set of this wood for the top of my archtop.

Last edited by iim7V7IM7; 07-10-2018 at 08:37 PM.

User Info Menu

This one came in 10 days ago and I have been able to get to know her by now, chose the right set of strings, adjusted everything to my tastes and needs and have played 2 gigs with her so far. The guitar does everything I had hoped for and I think it has been a success- the combination of a 16" plywood body with a floating pickup is not something one sees and hears everyday. My motivation was the combined benefits : the 16" size is comfortable, also when playing in a standing position, the plywood construction yields a punchy/midrangey tone that still has enough acoustic volume (with a set of Thomastik 0.13's roundwound and a stiff action) to be heard over an upright bass and a sax. It's very charming when played unplugged in my studio or slouched on my sofa late at night ... When plugged in the tone is deep, warm and has wonderful sustain. The Armstrong pickup (his take on the DeArmond type) is quiet, louder than expected and I like the distinct personality it offers in contrast to the "usual" PAF type pickups. The guitar works extremely well as a solo instrument due to it's balanced and profound tone (flat/fingerpicked and strummed) and the possibility to switch the pickup's impedance offers yet more tonal variety. A thumbwheel tonecontrol underneath the guard rounds everything out so I have a tonal palette ranging from an open, punchy and "oldtimey" rhythm tone to
    pretty much any typical Jazz-like electric tone. My prized '63 Super-400 CES and my Victor Baker 17" plywood still have their well-earned place in my arsenal but this Jazz Special is definitely the most versatile stage axe I have ever owned. Also the most expensive (almost) but that is a relative term, right ?! In time I will post some clips for everyone's listening pleasure so for now please feast your eyes on this curly caramel candy ;-)

User Info Menu

Gitman,
    The guitar is exquisite ! Beautiful finish and glad the guitar provides the versatility you were looking for. My Jazz special has this creamy warm sound and I just love it.
    I find my Trenier offers something different than the typical Gibson , Borys , Benedetto , Sadowsky, Collings etc . It’s more of the D’Aquisto sound - which very few people have had the opportunity to sample.
    Do enjoy your new guitar - and I look forward to hearing some audio.

User Info Menu

Interesting to hear the Luthier talk about the wood in that way ...so cool that he is excited about the possibilities.

Guitarists like great guitars Luthiers like great wood .....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gitman
    This one came in 10 days ago and I have been able to get to know her by now, chose the right set of strings, adjusted everything to my tastes and needs and have played 2 gigs with her so far. The guitar does everything I had hoped for and I think it has been a success- the combination of a 16" plywood body with a floating pickup is not something one sees and hears everyday. My motivation was the combined benefits : the 16" size is comfortable, also when playing in a standing position, the plywood construction yields a punchy/midrangey tone that still has enough acoustic volume (with a set of Thomastik 0.13's roundwound and a stiff action) to be heard over an upright bass and a sax. It's very charming when played unplugged in my studio or slouched on my sofa late at night ... When plugged in the tone is deep, warm and has wonderful sustain. The Armstrong pickup (his take on the DeArmond type) is quiet, louder than expected and I like the distinct personality it offers in contrast to the "usual" PAF type pickups. The guitar works extremely well as a solo instrument due to it's balanced and profound tone (flat/fingerpicked and strummed) and the possibility to switch the pickup's impedance offers yet more tonal variety. A thumbwheel tonecontrol underneath the guard rounds everything out so I have a tonal palette ranging from an open, punchy and "oldtimey" rhythm tone to
    pretty much any typical Jazz-like electric tone. My prized '63 Super-400 CES and my Victor Baker 17" plywood still have their well-earned place in my arsenal but this Jazz Special is definitely the most versatile stage axe I have ever owned. Also the most expensive (almost) but that is a relative term, right ?! In time I will post some clips for everyone's listening pleasure so for now please feast your eyes on this curly caramel candy ;-)

Your location says Mannheim ....

I have this image of you playing this guitar in a corner at Die Kartoffel in Ladenburg while patrons enjoy their steak on a hot rock.

User Info Menu

I spoke with Bryant this morning, and after a 15-month wait, he is now beginning to build my commission. Here are the preliminary specifications for the guitar:

Lower Bout: 17”

Rim Depth: 3-1/8”
    Scale Length: 25-1/4”
    Nut Width: 1-3/4”
    String Spacing: 2-1/8”
    FB Radius: 12”
    Top Bracing: X-Brace
    Top Wood: Italian Alpine Spruce (Bachmann)
    Back & Side Wood: Fiddleback, Bosnian Sycamore Maple (Gleissner)
    Neck: One-Piece Sugar Maple
    Fretboard: Gaboon Ebony
    Finger Rest: Gaboon Ebony
    Bridge/Saddle: Gaboon Ebony
    Tailpiece: Gaboon Ebony
    Binding: Curly Bosnian Maple
    Pickup: Kent Armstrong - Single Coil, Floating
    Controls: Schatten Thumb Wheel - Volume & Tone
    Tuning Machines: Schaller M6 w/ Ebony Buttons
    Fretwire: Jescar EVO 47095
    Finish: Nitrocellulose Lacquer, Light Fade Burst
    Case: BAM Hightech

I will share photos here as Bryant forwards them to me. His goal is to have it ready to exhibit at the Artisan Guitar Show in Harrisburg, PA on April 12-14.

User Info Menu

Bob,

Im very excited for you. He certainly will go down in history as one of The best builders.

Big

User Info Menu

...Scale Length: 25-1/4”....

User Info Menu

Bryant presented me with a number of maple back sets to select from. All three sets are Sycamore Maple (Acer pseudoplantanus...a.k.a European Spruce) sourced from Gleissner Tonewood in Germany some years back. While the supplier is in Germany, these maple billets are from the mountains in Northeast Bosnia-Herzegovenia. The Bosnian Spruce billets had differing levels figure; ranging from wild curl to a wider, more diffuse curl to a tight fiddleback curl.

I ended up choosing the tighter fiddleback set shown below, primarily on aesthetic preference but also because it presented uniform grain count across the set, and the fiddleback figure extended fully to the rims to show through the darker sections of the sunburst on the finished instrument.

User Info Menu

Nice-looking wood. Acer pseudoplantanus can be very pretty indeed.

Attached Images Attached Images Trenier Guitars (Luthier Bryant Trenier)-screen-shot-2016-02-18-1-14-21-am-jpg 

User Info Menu

Why not come to Harrisburg in April and play it?

User Info Menu

Why not come to Harrisburg in April and play it?
    If I can I will.

User Info Menu

Here is a photo of the quartersawn Italian Alpine Spruce top set now glued together.

Here is a shot of both the Bosnian (Sycamore) Maple back set now glued together and the rough cut Hard (Sugar) Maple neck blank.

Bryant has bent the Bosnian Maple sides and they are now in his 17” body mold with the kerfed top and back linings installed.

It looks like Bryant is making two guitars simultaneously. The Bosnian Maple back and Tyrolean Spruce top plates have been rough cut and thinned to just under 18 mm thick.
    Last edited by iim7V7IM7; 01-15-2019 at 04:33 PM.