The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 107

User Info Menu

The Trenier I recently purchased (used - it came up for sale in Canada) and should be receiving tomorrow is the "Motif" model which is featured on his website: Trenier Motif — Trenier Guitars

I'm not a fingerstyle player so I may have the bridge re-spaced slightly. The nut width is under 1.75" and the neck is the usual (for me) 2 1/8" at the 14th fret. I understand the guitar sounds good with a heavy pick too. I took a lesson from Tim Lerch many years ago when he had his Trenier oval-hole (I had my 15" McKerrihan oval-hole at the time, which I've since sold but now regret) and recall it sounded great.

I'm looking forward to a lot of woodshedding this weekend.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by coolvinny
    The Trenier I recently purchased (used - it came up for sale in Canada) and should be receiving tomorrow is the "Motif" model which is featured on his website: Trenier Motif — Trenier Guitars

I'm not a fingerstyle player so I may have the bridge re-spaced slightly. The nut width is under 1.75" and the neck is the usual (for me) 2 1/8" at the 14th fret. I understand the guitar sounds good with a heavy pick too. I took a lesson from Tim Lerch many years ago when he had his Trenier oval-hole (I had my 15" McKerrihan oval-hole at the time, which I've since sold but now regret) and recall it sounded great.

Congratulations! Please post pictures!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by coolvinny

Congratulations on a stunning guitar!

I hope Pasquale left some good notes in there for you!

User Info Menu

Thanks all! "On FedEx vehicle for delivery". Hopefully it arrives with all of Pasquale's notes intact!

User Info Menu

The 2016 Motif arrived safe and sound, expertly packed by Folkway Music (the best packing job I've ever seen! they were great to deal with all around). I was going to link to where Folkway had posted the ad (it was changed to "sold" but had excellent pictures) however it looks like they've take it down. Looks like this guitar had been at archtop.com once upon a time too so there are some pictures available at this link: 2016 Trenier Motif

When I received it the guitar was strung with what I believe are 12 bronze roundwounds. I swapped out the 12 for a 13 and have softened up the tough stiff bronze strings through a few hours of practicing, and have lowered the bridge slightly. Plays very nicely and sounds incredible. I really lucked out in stumbling across this guitar - it's a true acoustic archtop which is completely satisfying to play without an amp. Bryant is clearly making some incredible instruments.

User Info Menu

Congratulations! Nice buy. You may be interested to know that the listing at Archtop is about 60 after the one for a guitar I bought in Dec 2016, so Joe sold it about 2 years ago I'd guess.

I hope you enjoy it for years to come!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ccroft
    Congratulations! Nice buy. You may be interested to know that the listing at Archtop is about 60 after the one for a guitar I bought in Dec 2016, so Joe sold it about 2 years ago I'd guess.

I hope you enjoy it for years to come!
    Thanks for that intel! I was wondering how a 2016 Trenier had come to change hands a few times so quickly, but if the original buyer (who probably purchased at lower pricing when ordering around 2014) sold shortly after buying it in 2016, and then that buyer had it for about 2 years until my recent purchase, that makes sense. The guitar is still a baby, not even 3 years old yet.

User Info Menu

CoolVinny,
    Congrats - you made a wise choice. When it comes to pure acoustic Archtops - Bryant Trenier is one of the very best for sure.

User Info Menu

After a pretty good weekend of shedding, I am very much enjoying this 2016 Motif. I am pretty sure the acoustic voice is bigger than the 15" x 3.75" McKerrihan Cedar/Walnut oval-hole I used to have, which itself had a bigger voice (if perhaps too bass heavy) than the Trenier Motif that Tim Lerch had at the time of my lesson in 2010. So from what I can gather, Bryant has clearly moved forward with his building of oval-hole models since that 2009 model.

What's especially impressive is how even-toned it is across the strings. All the notes just sing.

PSA for the 2013 Trenier Oval available at John Stewart's Fine Guitars: Archtop jazz guitar price list

(that Rosine does not look too shabby either!)

User Info Menu

Bryants guitars have this organ like sustain which I find quite unique among Archtop builders. It’s just something extra that’s unusually good.

User Info Menu

I've always been curious about that Rosine.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by omphalopsychos
    I've always been curious about that Rosine.
    FWIW, I hear that Rosine is an excellent guitar. Looks awesome, too.

User Info Menu

Now that the final coats of nitrocellulose lacquer has been applied, Bryant has moved on to begin to create the tailpiece, bridge and finger rest. Here are some shots of the tailpiece and bridge being fabricated from some Gaboon Ebony (the striped, Macassar Ebony one shown is for another guitar that he is building).

User Info Menu

this guitar looks awesome, congrats! cannot wait for some soundclips!

User Info Menu

I love the way Bryant lacquers his tailpieces. I don't know why not many makers do that. Ebony takes lacquer really well.

User Info Menu

Bryant shared a photo on FB...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7
    Bryant shared a photo on FB...

Beautiful! Home stretch. Hope to see your guitar at the Artisan show.

User Info Menu

Me too...only 2+ weeks left until Bryant needs to fly across the pond with it...

User Info Menu

Me too...only 2+ weeks left until Bryant needs to fly across the pond with it...
    Sorry for the dumbest question so far :

" So, how exactly does the guitar travel ? In the seat next to him ? " I keep thinking and wondering how exactly Monteleone got Marc Knopfler's new guitar to him.

Thanks.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis D
    Sorry for the dumbest question so far :

" So, how exactly does the guitar travel ? In the seat next to him ? " I keep thinking and wondering how exactly Monteleone got Marc Knopfler's new guitar to him.

Thanks.
    Dennis, not a dumb question at all.

Since I opted for a BAM Hightech 17” Archtop Case (HIGHTECH ARCHTOP 17" GUITAR CASE – bamcases) which in my opinion while it’s a decent case, it is NOT a true flight case like a Calton, Hoffee or a Karura etc. I also did not want the guitar to travel in the luggage compartment and did not want to rely upon the airlines to allow Bryant to place the case in the cabin. Therefore, I chose to purchase a one-way ticket for the guitar from Paris to Philadelphia. So the Artifex is Bryant’s seat mate..... It cost about $400 which is similar to what I would expect to pay for transoceanic air shipment.

User Info Menu

My spies in Uzes, France have informed me that a Custom 17” acoustic archtop, “Artifex” S.N. 1144 has been stringed up and the initial impressions are “very positive”.

User Info Menu

Here’s a few shots from Bryant’s workshop bench from today. These are a few photos of the “Artifex” now with strings after bridge work, setup, etc. The finger rest, truss rod cover, pickup and electronic controls will go on later this week.

User Info Menu

Here’s a few shots from Bryant’s workshop bench from today. These are a few photos of the “Artifex” now with strings after bridge work, setup, etc. The finger rest, truss rod cover, pickup and electronic controls will go on later this week.

Stunning!

User Info Menu

Incredible !! Bryants application of the finish is second to none . He is the only one who nails the D’Aquisto look. The shading and the color is spectacular and the headstock perimeter overlay is awesome . I just love it!

Unfortunately , I will not be able to attend the show due to mounting obligations - but I will likely see this guitar on the 9th or 10th. I’m having lunch with Bryant before he heads out to Harrisburg.

User Info Menu

Enjoy your visit and audition.... I will need to wait for the 12th....(patience).

Quote Originally Posted by QAman
    Incredible !! Bryants application of the finish is second to none . He is the only one who nails the D’Aquisto look. The shading and the color is spectacular and the headstock perimeter overlay is awesome . I just love it!

Unfortunately , I will not be able to attend the show due to mounting obligations - but I will likely see this guitar on the 9th or 10th. I’m having lunch with Bryant before he heads out to Harrisburg.