The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 24 of 24

User Info Menu

My first Gibson archtop.

I used to play a Gibson Les Paul Standard for long time but sold it for many years and i currently own a Gibson SG, a custom made Chinese 18" no-cutaway archtop by Mr. Wu/Yolanda Team and a custom made Chinese Archtop made by Yunzhi.

I'm very pleased with my new guitar and the thin body depth plays and feels very comfortable. This is a 25.5" scale which i like alot and a 17" wide body. I'm not as knowledgable about guitars, but i believe this one is the altered version of a Gibson Byrdland? I have seen the Byrland guitar a few times in the local shop, but have never tried it. I think the short scale neck looks a bit weird...to short. But i can't tell how it plays with such short neck.

Anyway, here's a pic of my new guitar:
    Gibson ES-350t 1992-img_5860-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I have always wondered why this model is not more popular. It certainly checks a lot of my boxes. Is it neck heavy?

User Info Menu

Those are awesome guitars. I can't for the life of me figure out why Gibson won't make a new 350 of some kind.

User Info Menu

Happy NGD!

No, the neck is not heavy at all.

Actually, the guitar body/neck weight relation is perfectly balanced. I play standing and there is no 'neck drop' so-to-speak.

The neck profile is slim and feels right.

Quote Originally Posted by nopedals
    I have always wondered why this model is not more popular. It certainly checks a lot of my boxes. Is it neck heavy?

No, the neck is not heavy at all.

Actually, the guitar body/neck weight relation is perfectly balanced. I play standing and there is no 'neck drop' so-to-speak.

The neck profile is slim and feels right.

User Info Menu

Enjoy your gorgeous guitar.

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    Those are awesome guitars. I can't for the life of me figure out why Gibson won't make a new 350 of some kind.
    Right, i wondered about the same thing indeed. Gibson should produce another batch of es-350's.

The thing is, is that i was at first interested to buy the new Gibson ES-275, however so far i could find out the es-275 has a "Historic truss rod". I don't know what it is and i thought that maybe the neck is not adjustable like with a regular truss rod. Plus i prefer a bit larger body width, so the 17" of the es-350 is what i like best.

User Info Menu

What a lovely guitar! Congratulations, and play it in good health!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JB108
    Right, i wondered about the same thing indeed. Gibson should produce another batch of es-350's.

The thing is, is that i was at first interested to buy the new Gibson ES-275, however so far i could find out the es-275 has a "Historic truss rod". I don't know what it is and i thought that maybe the neck is not adjustable like with a regular truss rod. Plus i prefer a bit larger body width, so the 17" of the es-350 is what i like best.
    I have a 275, and the truss rod seems to work just like any other.

I have a 275, and the truss rod seems to work just like any other.
    Ok great, i didn't know about the 'historic truss rod' thing and i couldn't find on the internet how the 'historic truss rod' works. Anyway, the es-275 is a beautiful guitar and i would think the tone is similar to the es-350t.

User Info Menu

The Tal Farlow is a 350 in disguise. That said, I like the cosmetics of the 350 better.

User Info Menu

Great guitar! Congratulations!

The 350t has a thin body doesn't it? (as opposed to the full depth body of the Tal Farlow.)

User Info Menu

Lovely guitar, congrats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Nice! Congrat's.

User Info Menu

Congrats. Beware though. Gibson archtops are like beautiful women. Their allure is captivating and the net result can be a fiscal nightmare (but well worth it!).

May she inspire your playing for many years to come!

Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay

The 350t has a thin body doesn't it? (as opposed to the full depth body of the Tal Farlow.)
    That's correct. I think the body depth is approx 2".

User Info Menu

The Historic Truss Rod has no plastic or rubber sheath. It supposedly leads to a more historically correct tonality, if there is such a thing.

Nice guitar. It is the ES5 minus the middle 3rd humbucker or a Tal Farlow in simpler clothing. But Gibson should bring the ES-350 back.

PS The Tal Farlow has a 3" rim depth, doesn't it?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay

Yes. The original 350 from the 1950s came in two versions: The 350 with full body depth and 25,5" scale and the 350T with reduced body depth and 23.5" scale (in fact a lower priced variant of the Byrdland). The reissues from more recent years are 350T's BUT with full 25.5 scale. Apart from the cosmetic trim, the Tal Farlow is much the same as the full bodied 350. The same is the ES-5 except for its 3 pickups and - again - the cosmetics.

The Original short scale 350T was popular with a number of blues men and rock and rollers - among them B.B. King and Chuck Berry. Many of them swapped to the 335 - 355 series semi hollow when it became available in the late 1950s - again among them King and Berry - and the short scale 350T didn't survive as a model long after that.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    The Historic Truss Rod has no plastic or rubber sheath. It supposedly leads to a more historically correct tonality, if there is such a thing.
    ... including the possibility of rattles and buzzes. To me it sounds like ordinary sales BS.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by oldane
    ... including the possibility of rattles and buzzes. To me it sounds like extrordinary sales BS.
    fify

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JB108
    My first Gibson archtop.

I used to play a Gibson Les Paul Standard for long time but sold it for many years and i currently own a Gibson SG, a custom made Chinese 18" no-cutaway archtop by Mr. Wu/Yolanda Team and a custom made Chinese Archtop made by Yunzhi.

I'm very pleased with my new guitar and the thin body depth plays and feels very comfortable. This is a 25.5" scale which i like alot and a 17" wide body. I'm not as knowledgable about guitars, but i believe this one is the altered version of a Gibson Byrdland? I have seen the Byrland guitar a few times in the local shop, but have never tried it. I think the short scale neck looks a bit weird...to short. But i can't tell how it plays with such short neck.

Anyway, here's a pic of my new guitar:
    Gibson ES-350t 1992-img_5860-jpg
    The guitar of my dreams for years. FINALLY, got this 1978 one -

Gibson ES-350t 1992-es350t-mine-cropped-2-jpg

User Info Menu

That is so nice. Hold on tight, seems like they're getting hard to find. Love to hear it.

Dutchbopper Guest
    Congrats on the new guitar. I used to own a 1992 Gibson ES 350T that sounded just fine.

DB