The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 48

User Info Menu

I am looking for a really good jazzamplifier and I am not tight on a budget, so it may cost quit a bit. It can't be tubes because the amp must be fairly light, max. 18kg/36lbs to haul around town(with my bike). I play a '54 Gibson es-125 and I am a serious sem-proffesional player and play just pure 50ties cool jazz.
    Polytone doesn't work for me,I need a bit more sparkle, Hendriksen jazzamps, I miss a bit of life and body in them. Roland 60, miss life also.
    The only candidate I came across was a Evans JE-200.
    Is there any other amplifier that lives up to these high expectations?

Hans

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I forgot to mention that I tried the AER Compact-60, but again didn't work for me.

Hans

User Info Menu

Have you checked the AER Alpha?

User Info Menu

Yep, AER Alpha is too little in the sound, miss the weight/ oomph in the single notes.

User Info Menu

Hatim, can you say why you did not like the compact 60? i´m interested in buying one for a duo with a singer.
    best,
    theo

User Info Menu

the phil jones

User Info Menu

Acoustic Image head with some type of extended range cab would probably suit your needs. Raezer's Edge makes some nice ones.

User Info Menu

You could try a Henriksen with the add-on tweeter or even a different speaker, but it seems like you've already found what you're looking for - the Evans JE200.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hatim
    the Evans RE200 will save you some weight at 25lbs with a 10" speaker ... http://www.evansamps.com/cusamps01.html

here's a couple of jazz tube amps that are about the right weight ...

VS112-JZ

Matamp Adrian Ingram Signature all valve guitar amplifier combo (IIRC Matamp told me this weighs about 40lbs)
    Last edited by Bill C; 11-03-2009 at 09:19 AM.

Archie Guest
    Have you tried a Tech 21?

User Info Menu

Phil Jones CUB. Weighs 11.5 pounds and is barely bigger than a briefcase. It also comes with a soft case that has a shoulder strap, so you can have it and your guitar slung over your shoulder, if your guitar's in a gig bag.

User Info Menu

You may find Phil Jones AG-100 similar in sound to the AER Compact 60 (maybe a little less trebly). Not a criticism of the PJ -- I have one and love it, but it sounds like you crossed out the AER 60.

More sparkle? I was going to suggest the Henriksen with the tweeter (= extended range) or you could try the Polytone Mini Brute V, which has a tweeter as well, but good luck finding one, and it may be a little over your weight limit, but you do get a 15" speaker.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    you could try the Polytone Mini Brute V
    I used to use a Polytone MegaBrute with an ES-125 - tended to bring out the earthy/gritty sound of the P90 quite well ...

... ah, just saw the OP had ruled out Polytone ...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GodinFan
    Acoustic Image head with some type of extended range cab would probably suit your needs. Raezer's Edge makes some nice ones.
    This would be my choice also. I plan on getting this set up some day. In addition to Raezer's Edge cabs, Redstone and Leonardo make great cabs for this application.

J. Hale Music Supply - Premium Jazz Guitar, Jazz Bass, Amplification Equipment And Accessories

User Info Menu

I second the nomination of an Acoustic Image/Raezer's Edge combination. I found that system to be the only amp I like better than my old(1977) Polytone Minibrute IV. The Acoustic Image head (Clarus II series lll model) weighs about 6 lbs and the Raezers Edge Stealth 12ER Speaker Enclosure weighs about 32 lbs. I'm saving my gig money to buy this combo.

wiz

User Info Menu

I know the head/cabinet combination of Acoustic Image/Raezer's Edge is very popular but I wonder if that's partly because Acoustic Image started out just making heads only. I'm curious about the AI Ten2 2x10" amp:

Acoustic Image Ten2 Combo Amp Review - Premier Guitar

It weighs 28lbs.

User Info Menu

You may find Phil Jones AG-100 similar in sound to the AER Compact 60 (maybe a little less trebly). Not a criticism of the PJ -- I have one and love it, but it sounds like you crossed out the AER 60.
    It just hit me that you could try the 250W, 28lb, Phil Jones AG-300:

User Info Menu

i have to admit, it sounds to me like you don't like solid state amps marketed to jazzers...how big are the gigs you're playing? A fender princeton might work--it'll certainly be light enough, and if you can find a silverface non reverb model, they have more clean headroom than the ones with 'verb.

personally, if i was traveling by bike, the phil jones or the zt lunchbox would be pretty much all i'd consider...maybe the heinreksen, but even that's getting heavy...i mean, if the guitar is on your back, where's the amp--handlebars?
    Last edited by mr. beaumont; 11-04-2009 at 01:02 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    personally, if i was traveling by bike, the phil jones or the zt lunchbox would be pretty much all i'd consider...maybe the heinreksen, but even that's getting heavy...i mean, if the guitar is on your back, where's the amp--handlebars?
    I was wondering about that, too. I assumed the OP had a trailer behind the bike. A guitar slung on you back sounds too tippy for me.

User Info Menu

I was wondering about that, too. I assumed the OP had a trailer behind the bike. A guitar slung on you back sounds too tippy for me.
    And by bike are we talking mountain, road, or motor?

User Info Menu

the best non tube amp out there is AER - I bought 40w AER Alpha the other day (playing ES 335 and Taylor T5) and it beats jazz chorus, peavey classic and similar hands down - try the 60w combo if you like, worth every cent - Pequod.

User Info Menu

pequod, just so you know, the peavey classic series are tube amps.

User Info Menu

I'll continue to advocate the Fender Jazzmaster Ultralight. Versatile, light and powerful. Great clean sound, excellent distorted sound (which I don't use that much); digital effects, including a convincingly Fender-ish reverb (including the fact that it can't be turned up above about 2!).

It's pricey, around $1200 new, and you'll probably have to order it, but for me, it was well worth it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hatim
    I am looking for a really good jazzamplifier and I am not tight on a budget, so it may cost quit a bit. It can't be tubes because the amp must be fairly light, max. 18kg/36lbs to haul around town(with my bike). I play a '54 Gibson es-125 and I am a serious sem-proffesional player and play just pure 50ties cool jazz.
    Polytone doesn't work for me,I need a bit more sparkle, Hendriksen jazzamps, I miss a bit of life and body in them. Roland 60, miss life also.
    Is there any other amplifier that lives up to these high expectations?

Hans
    I would have to go with my standard recommendation for your requirements. Evans RE200, ~25lbs, great sound.

User Info Menu

My word !

Twenty-something opinions, mostly well-considered and thoughtfully expressed. But not a wink or a nod from the OP. (Who posted a couple of times, at the beginning of the thread, then went away.)

It's irritating, to take the time to "help" someone who doesn't bother to provide feedback or express a little gratitude for the assistance, isn't it ?

Genuine seeker of knowledge or just another troll ?