The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 62

User Info Menu

Got 3 replacement strings from Thomastik for the E A and G strings from a JS112 set that were not ground flat. The replacements are also defective. Time to find another brand...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Sorry to hear that happened again.

What are you thinking of trying? You said you had a similar situation with chromes right?

Quote Originally Posted by blille
    Sorry to hear that happened again.

What are you thinking of trying? You said you had a similar situation with chromes right?
    yes but on my 175 I put a set of chrome .011s and swapped out the top two strings for a .012 and .016 and they are fine. The current chromes don't have the issue. However, I'm not crazy about the higher tension or the tone. I may just switch to rounds at this point on the archtop

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    yes but on my 175 I put a set of chrome .011s and swapped out the top two strings for a .012 and .016 and they are fine. The current chromes don't have the issue. However, I'm not crazy about the higher tension or the tone. I may just switch to rounds at this point on the archtop
    The tone is subjective but to get closer to the tension of the TI JS112 I personally mix a set of chrome 10s and swap the top two for 12 and 16. You can compare the result below. It’s very close. The number next to the string is the tension.

TI set:
    P12 22.8
    P16 22.7
    JS20 24.6
    JS27 24.1
    JS37 22.8
    JS50 23.3

Chromes:
    PL012 23.4
    PL016 23.3
    CG020 23.8
    CG028 25.2
    CG038 23.7
    CG050 22.18

the chrome .011s are noticeably higher tension to me despite what the specs say.

User Info Menu

The last couple sets of TI's I got they wrapped the ball end of the low E way too much. It was impossible to get it to fit into the tailpiece slot. Maybe they hired the QC guy from Gibson.

User Info Menu

the chrome .011s are noticeably higher tension to me despite what the specs say.
    You may have missed that I mentioned a set of 10s, not 11s and listed the strings of a set of 10s, not 11s

Quote Originally Posted by blille
    You may have missed that I mentioned a set of 10s, not 11s and listed the strings of a set of 10s, not 11s
    Yes, I *DID* miss that. Very sorry! I didn't realize they made a 10 set.

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    The last couple sets of TI's I got they wrapped the ball end of the low E way too much. It was impossible to get it to fit into the tailpiece slot. Maybe they hired the QC guy from Gibson.
    Yes, I don't have that problem on my L5 tailpiece or 175 tailpiece but when I put a set on a seventy seven hawk, it wouldn't go through the tailpiece.

User Info Menu

Yes, I *DID* miss that. Very sorry! I didn't realize they made a 10 set.
    No problem!

You should give it a try

User Info Menu

Jack, Try Pyramids. I have heard good things about their pure nickel flats from guys who like Tomastics.

i have a set of pyramid pure nickel rounds. I may switch to rounds. Seems like less issues with rounds and I'm liking a little brighter sound lately.

User Info Menu

Hi

If you're in europe maybe you should give Newtone strings a try (check their website, they're selling direct), very good strings for archtops (even 7 strings)

User Info Menu

Pyramid makes a Nickel Classic hand polished. A bit harder to find but I've been favoring them over thomistik lately. Low tension sound just a little brighter than a new set of thomastiks a touch less finger noise. Long lasting. Give them a try.

i have a set of pyramid pure nickel rounds. I may switch to rounds. Seems like less issues with rounds and I'm liking a little brighter sound lately.

Quote Originally Posted by skiboyny
    Pyramid makes a Nickel Classic hand polished. A bit harder to find but I've been favoring them over thomistik lately. Low tension sound just a little brighter than a new set of thomastiks a touch less finger noise. Long lasting. Give them a try.
    the latest set of thomastiks I am having an issue with are super bright. The chromes are darker. Not sure I want anything brighter unless I switch to rounds which is probably where I'm heading.

User Info Menu

If it's only the "bright" part of the thomastiks that's bothering you, I'd leave them on a bit. I find especially on a laminate guitar they mellow out pretty quickly.

the latest set of thomastiks I am having an issue with are super bright. The chromes are darker. Not sure I want anything brighter unless I switch to rounds which is probably where I'm heading.

User Info Menu

I always thought rounds respond quicker and clearer, especially on fast lines. jmo

Quote Originally Posted by skiboyny
    If it's only the "bright" part of the thomastiks that's bothering you, I'd leave them on a bit. I find especially on a laminate guitar they mellow out pretty quickly.
    given that the replacement strings they sent me are not properly ground flat, i doubt I'll give them the chance.

User Info Menu

If you're thinking of switching to rounds . . . have you tried the John Pearse 2700 jazz set? I remember thinking they're a great roundwound replacement for flats.

i have not tried the pierce but I'm thinking that I want to go with a more mainstream set. One issue i've seen with the so called archtop strings is that they are subject to obsolescence and poor quality control. Several times, I've dealt with daddario and thomastik having issues with their jazz sets so if I can find a set of regular daddario or ernie ball nickel strings I think i'll have better luck with quality.

User Info Menu

I hear you. I discovered JP strings by learning that Kreisberg and Peter Bernstein play them, so I figured JP is doing something right. But I totally understand wanting a mainstream brand too for a few reasons.

Personally I've found Elixers to be my favorite round right now. Also going to be checking out LaBella rollerwounds. I like almost all the other LaBella's I've tried.

You might also check out Curt Mangan . . . not a mainstream brand, but they seem very receptive and artist-friendly (including artist log-in to order), customizable and make a huge selection of strings.

i think kriesberg is using ernie ball strings now! My philosphy on strings is that you want automated string manufacturing. Not like a guitar where handmade actually has some value.

User Info Menu

Jack,

I note that you've been playing a long time and playing a lot in that time and playing very, very well. Yet you still are unsettled on your strings.

That makes a guy like me feel a little less crazy while I try new things. There is no stagnation.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Grass
    Jack,

I note that you've been playing a long time and playing a lot in that time and playing very, very well. Yet you still are unsettled on your strings.

That makes a guy like me feel a little less crazy while I try new things. There is no stagnation.
    Haha - to be fair, i was VERY satisfied with the JS112 strings until the last 3-4 sets turned out to be ground improperly and I discovered their service is a bit flakey. I have 4-5 additional sets of the JS112 strings so I need to go through and see if they are all suffering from the same thing but given the replacements they sent were improperly manufactured , i'm not very confident.

I do love the feel and tension of the JS112 set when they are made correctly. Again, I think if you are using a specialized string you had better buy enough sets to last a lifetime, just in case. I had bought a dozen sets of the JS112 strings a year or so ago but now I wish I had checked them all ...

User Info Menu

Jack,

I'm still working off of my stock of existing inventory of GB112, JS113, and JS111 strings--so I won't run into the improperly ground strings for a bit, yet. (My inventory was purchased a couple of years ago, so it presumably was manufactured prior to the newer, flakier stuff.)

You have me anxious, though, about the newer stuff. I guess I'll cross that road in a year or two.