The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 47

User Info Menu

my tailpiece snapped while i was tuning up. It kept slipping out of tune as if there were new strings on it and I kept tuning it up to pitch til it snapped. so the slipping out of tune must have been the tail piece getting weaker.

2013 es175, TI Gb 14 flats.

they sending me new tailpiece... pretty quick and easy.

I’m super bummed, 5 years with no issues— a true dream guitar til now

my tailpiece broke-7b9665d6-ae0b-461c-9155-a38df29c9b68-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

it was a poor design in the 50's and it's still a poor design.

the tailpiece? never heard anything about them...are they known to break?

User Info Menu

Any damage to the guitar? That's the real worry, not the tp.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joe2758
    the tailpiece? never heard anything about them...are they known to break?
    Yes. I had a real '59 175 with a repair in the exact same place on the tailpiece. Have seen others.

no there’s not. i guess it could have been worse. no one seems surprised though? i thought i was in the twilight zone

Quote Originally Posted by Gilpy
    Yes. I had a real '59 175 with a repair in the exact same place on the tailpiece. Have seen others.
    that’s interesting! well hopefully the worst of it will just be being without it for a week or so

my tailpiece broke-389ac28c-95e0-4417-842e-21f0bed55906-jpg
    look at the corrosion though, the thing is 5 years old and i dont think i’ve ever played it outside!

User Info Menu

Maybe upgrade it to one of these?

my tailpiece broke-tailpiecees175-jpg

that looks cool, woody (and sturdier). What is it? I'll have to consider it. The free replacement is one of the few benefits of buying new, however there would be egg on my face if it happened again during a more inopportune moment

User Info Menu

my tailpiece broke-389ac28c-95e0-4417-842e-21f0bed55906-jpg
    look at the corrosion though, the thing is 5 years old and i dont think i’ve ever played it outside!
    what corrosion?

User Info Menu

that looks cool, woody (and sturdier). What is it? I'll have to consider it. The free replacement is one of the few benefits of buying new, however there would be egg on my face if it happened again during a more inopportune moment
    That's Gibson's other ES-175 tailpiece. I don't know which years they used which.

my tailpiece broke-es175-tail-jpg

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    what corrosion?
    it looks like rust to me. Maybe I'm wrong. I don't study up on it, I'm just some schmuck who is bummed that his guitar broke

User Info Menu

The zig-zag bar is pretty rusty inside the end piece. The chrome plating is gone and it has rusted pretty badly. That part would have failed eventually. That's really nasty for being only 5 years old.

User Info Menu

You're not just some schmuck. You're our schmuck.

User Info Menu

it looks like rust to me. Maybe I'm wrong. I don't study up on it, I'm just some schmuck who is bummed that his guitar broke

if you mean underneath the loops that broke, that didn't contribute to it breaking.
    the metal isn't chrome plated there.
    if you're going to go w/the the trapeze Woody suggested make sure the holes match the original pattern.
    btw, the ES-175 used this style before going to the squiggle kind on your guitar in the late 50's.
    I believe they changed back to the trapeze in the 70's where it remained until the reissue 175's were introduced.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    if you're going to go w/the the trapeze Woody suggested make sure the holes match the original pattern.
    And if they don't, drill new holes.

User Info Menu

So gibson is sending you a new tailpiece? Are you the original owner? The tailpiece on my 1956 ES225T broke a couple years ago and I just replaced the bottom part and used my bail. I did have to drill my own holes in the replacement tailpiece.
    Thanks John

User Info Menu

Least it didn't go ripping across the top! Easy fix. I wouldn't be to bummed play one of your other guitars for now. If you don't have another might be a good time to so something about that.

yes they're sending new tailpiece, and I'm the original owner. I was only on the phone with them for about 10 minutes

Quote Originally Posted by skiboyny
    Least it didn't go ripping across the top! Easy fix. I wouldn't be to bummed play one of your other guitars for now. If you don't have another might be a good time to so something about that.
    True! Thanks man. I'll actually be playing my $150 Gretch Jim Dandy in the meantime

User Info Menu

Doesn't look like rust, but at the place it broke it looks like a porous, poorly-cast cheap piece of pot metal that should have been stamped from 3/32" flat stock.

User Info Menu

The tailpiece on my Eastman 905 snapped in the same place, right at the hinge. They sent a new one that’s solid and looks like it’ll easily outlast the guitar.

User Info Menu

I see what you're talking about, on the round stock underneath the part that broke. Could be where the nickel/chrome plating was worn off and the bare metal exposed. Yeah, humidity could cause that to oxidize.

i do use an in-case humidifier, but it is supposed to be a "two way system"