The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 45 of 45

User Info Menu

After sanding, try rubbing the sanded edges vigourously back and forth across some tighly woven or short pile synthetic broadloom.
    Last edited by Hammertone; 06-26-2018 at 11:00 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Buy new picks, cheaper than sandpaper.

User Info Menu

My picks cost $14 per dozen.

This thing is under $5 and can probably put new life into a pick.

I've used a similar product with success. I've never seen the exact one in the link. Different sides have different grits. The smoothest one feels completely smooth, but the roughest one feels like sandpaper. Easier to manage than carrying different grades of sandpaper sheets, perhaps.

Amazon.com: 4 Way Shiny Block / 4 Step Buffing Block Shine Nail Buffer: Health & Personal Care

User Info Menu

I’ve kept picks in great shape for years using fine sandpaper then some No.7 buffing compound on a leather strop. The compound can be found at any auto parts store, hardware. There is no scratchiness after this process. Some may consider this wasted time but being able to shape your picks to your preferences is an advantage.

User Info Menu

Somewhere Dan Erlewine is busy making an overpriced Pick filing system now..... lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

I bought a set of these. Use it for picks, frets, and just about anything else on the guitar

3M Polishing Paper

User Info Menu

I use sand paper to take the point off...

User Info Menu

Don't know what you're using but the Dunlop Ultex material is very wear resistant and sounds great.

User Info Menu

After shaping the pick, I drag it vigorously across a piece of short-pile carpet. Fortunately my practice room has lots of it. It doesn't take a long time, just back and forth a dozen or so times, using some force and moving very quickly, and the edge of the pick is very smooth. Sandpaper, even very fine grades, leaves striations, and the carpet pile takes them out well enough. I often do this with new picks to make sure they're smooth. The only picks I don't use this with are Blue Chips, which don't need it new, and I haven't seen enough wear yet to need reshaping.

User Info Menu

Blue Chip will not wear out, although most would not go for them

User Info Menu

Sandpaper to shape your worn pick
    Then, toothpaste to polish it.

At least it works fine for me with my home-made bone picks

User Info Menu

Thanks for the replies. I'll start out with the carpet, and go from there.

User Info Menu

Polish it with white jeweler's rouge either on a grinder buffing wheel or dremel buffing attachment.

User Info Menu

Lots of things can work. It's mostly a matter of deciding how much you want to spend on a gizmo to polish $0.25 picks, and how much time you want to spend doing the polishing. Vigorous strokes across a carpet you already have creates a lot of heat, and gives me an acceptable polish in less than a minute. YMMV.

User Info Menu

I take my $15 picks to the nail salon for a manicure to restore them.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    After sanding, try rubbing the sanded edges vigourously back and forth across some tighly woven or short pile synthetic broadloom.
    +1
    This is the only thing that helps my picks.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whiskey02
    Don't know what you're using but the Dunlop Ultex material is very wear resistant and sounds great.
    +1

I'd call them undestroyable, that's why they make them in this "invisible" color, so they hope that you'll lose them at last.

And the sound!!!

User Info Menu

So does it work, do you get good results? I use fender mediums, but the package from guitar center, I must literally have hundreds around

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    Thanks for the reply! Which dept. is that sandpaper in, the automotive or the nail dept?
    The sandpaper I've been using was from Home Depot, and might be too coarse to sand down my Dunlop Jazz IIIs.
    Sorry for the delayed response. Just now saw this. It’s in Automotive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk