The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Posts 76 to 95 of 95

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by david57strat
    I'm a reverb junkie. Of the four reverbs on my board (Source Audio Ventris, Eventide Space, Walrus Audio Fathom, and MXR M300), my personal favorite, for all-around ease of use, but glorious, wide-ranging sounds, and plenty of punch, would be the Source Audio Ventris. This, and the Space, ended up knocking my Hall of Fame 2, DigiTech Polara, and Earthquaker Devices Afterneath v2 off the board.

The board is still undergoing some refinements.
    You have some nice verbs!

My current favorite is a Bob Burt Reverb Pedal. It’s a simple 2 knob wonder that takes you from subtle to full ambient. The full range of the knobs are very useable. The quality of the verb effect is rich and luscious. A lot of verbs sound a bit tin-cannish to me. The sound and simplicity won me over.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I like The Astronomer by Matthews Effects

User Info Menu

the ventris is my favorite. I liked it much better than anything else I've ever tried. However, I found the user interface not to my liking. Many of the settings can only be accessed through the app which is a deal-breaker for me.

Also, there's no way to lock the current settings and since your knobs are typically set to the most recent preset you have adjusted, if you accidentally brush your cord against a knob on a performance, it will readjust the parameters to match the knob-settings. I asked them about adding a performance lock mode but they had other priorities. I ended up dumping it and getting a digitech RV-7 which sounds great. Not as good as the high end strymon or ventris but unless you are playing ambient music, the digitech is a winner to me!

User Info Menu

A piece of non-slip shelf liner, or similar material sold for gripping jar lids for removal, cut to size and placed over the shaft under the knobs, makes a workable way to keep the knobs from turning easily. But most of the pedals shown have far too many knobs for me to be even mildly interested. My preference is for fewer knobs, and one is enough for me. The HOF Mini, one knob for level, does the job for me, and I have the knob fixed so that it doesn't turn easily, and I can make small adjustments. I use the Toneprint app to change settings, and that's quick and easy, no knob fiddling required, no inadvertent changes possible. But there are many opinions and preferences, thus many pedals on the market. Something for everyone, whatever their preferences.

User Info Menu

One of the cheapest reverb pedals is the TC Electronics Skysurfer. Does anyone have any experience with that one?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay
    One of the cheapest reverb pedals is the TC Electronics Skysurfer. Does anyone have any experience with that one?
    My experience is that the TC stuff is unreliable and poorly supported. The most recent example was a HOF reverb which developed a ground issue. Unrepairable and the cost to send it back to get fixed was more than buying a used replacement.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    My experience is that the TC stuff is unreliable and poorly supported. The most recent example was a HOF reverb which developed a ground issue. Unrepairable and the cost to send it back to get fixed was more than buying a used replacement.
    Ok thanks..... well, that’s not very encouraging then..... :-(

User Info Menu

just get a used RV-7 ($99) and call it a day.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    just get a used RV-7 ($99) and call it a day.
    Yes, seems like a great pedal! I am quite happy with my Boss FRV-1 (I know you don’t like it) but funny enough when I use that with (one of the channels) of my 1956 Dynacord DA-16/v amp it produces a bit of a hiss/buzz.... doesn’t bother me paying live, but in quiet places it’s a bit annoying. It doesn’t do it with my other amps..... must be an impedance problem?

I wanted to try out another reverb pedal, but it could be the amp..... maybe another pedal doesn’t solve the problem. The TC Electronics is cheap enough to try, but if it’s not reliable enough it’s money waisted of course....

User Info Menu

I have got a tc HOF mini. It is lightweight and tiny on pedalboard. It works perfectly for me and never had issues. My only concern is about the very large possibility given by tone print tool... so much possibilities to explore and I am lazy for that ( and I miss time also to play guitar so for effect analyse..).
    I love my fender vibrolux reverb. Any advice to copy that sound with HOF mini ?

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

User Info Menu

the HOF reverbs have horrible spring reverb emulation. IMO, it's unusable. the EH oceans reverb is passable but not as good as the Digitech RV-7 or polaris

User Info Menu

The right number of knobs for a reverb pedal is 4.

Mix - for obvious reasons
    Tone - for obvious reasons (eq of reverb, not of input signal)
    Dwell - for obvious reasons
    Pre-Delay - for less obvious reasons. adding a bit of delay before your reverb keeps your sound clear and lets you be more subtle. You can create a sense of space without sounding muddy (or cheesy).

User Info Menu

I like my Hall of Fame, but I agree with Jack, the Spring setting is weak.

Which is fine for me, as I don't really like spring reverb. Or at least Fender's spring reverb, that's the only amps I've ever owned with a proper spring reverb. Always sounds like "too much" to my ears.

User Info Menu

I agree with Mr. Beaumont. I have a Vibrolux Reverb, and I don't like the reverb much. I don't play surf music. If I need reverb, I prefer the HOF in front of it, through the #1 channel. The reverb goes from inaudible to too much in an almost imperceptible movement of the knob. Spring reverb just doesn't sound good to me. Obviously, it does to other people, though. I tend to use plate or room reverb settings, very low, which isn't everyone's preference, but it's mine.

I've had my HOF mini for a few years now, and I've had no problems with it. It just works. My experience with TC seems to be very different from Jack's.

User Info Menu

I have owned about 15 different reverbs, and still own 3 but i still like the talisman best for (plate) reverb.

User Info Menu

My Hall of Fame 2 suits ke just fine. But if I had a White Whale pedal, I’d probably go nuts with the tremolo and reverb combo, since my quilter amp gets a very good Blackface sound.

White Whale — Crazy Tube Circuits

User Info Menu

Mr. Black Mini Reverb, if you are into the mini pedals..i have a small battery powered pedal board and i have the Mr. Black Verb and dealy, they are great

Mini Reverb – Mr. Black

User Info Menu

I used to have the Alesis small modules and the Lexicon ones over the years. In pedal format, i think i 've only had the Hardwire RV-7, which i bought cause it was cheap at the time. I like it, but going to give the Hof mini a try cause i need a second pedal so i don't have to move the RV-7 between boards all the time, and i could also use the small foorprint!

I have two uses for reverbs, one is live, where amidst the racket pretty much most things will do, and the second one is home/studio/recordings, where why use a pedal? So it never made sense to me to get an expensive/complicated one in a pedal..

User Info Menu

My favourite is the Boss '63 Reverb pedal.
    On higher settings it does get a bit over the top. It gets into serious Dick Dale territory.

Set low it's that old-school spring reverb sound. I keep the tone control on the low side as it can get too bright, especially through a brighter sounding amp.

I really love that spring reverb sound so that's why I favour that pedal.

That said most of my amps have in-built spring reverb so it rarely gets used. In fact the amp with my favourite reverb is my Peavey Bandit 65 of all things, it has a shorter decay time than a Fender for example, and it's not as muddy sounding.

User Info Menu

Catalinbread Talisman -wonderful sounding plate -

Reverb Pedals-img_0040-jpg

I have it between my Empress Para EQ and Quilter Micro Block

Will