The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 53

User Info Menu

And you guys put me down for criticizing BP for endorsing these scuzzbags' guitars?

If Jimmy and John were alive, the Ferelitos would be sharing a jail cell with some guy who'd be porking them every night.
    I was hoping that they were making chambered guitars like Jimmy and Roger Borys make/made, but these guitars are rock axes with D'A headstocks.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigMikeinNJ
    Unreal how bad these are, you think they could do something classy, like Triggs did with these...

Attachment 53615
    It is still a mash-up of two decidedly different historic periods as far as style goes. I don't know if that is good or bad, but I think that it is "challenging" at the least.

User Info Menu

I like their semi's. Great necks and very good workmanship. Headstock doesn't fit a solid body. Without the headstock they would be fine.

As for preferences.. this crowd is passionate in their preference for Gibson. And, to our universal detriment, look what happened to them.

User Info Menu

Dear John D'Angelico.
    I never knew you, but I love what you stood for, what you strove to do, to make your idea of perfection in an instrument that could move wood and the air like nobody had before. Dear John D'Angelico, I am truly sorry for what has happened to your name and your reputation.
    I for one, still hold your work as the realization of excellence and individuality, of art and craft.
    I'm sorry that the public has to see your name this way. Rest in Peace.

David

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    One of our forum members, Bob Roetker plays one. He's a great player and is not a modern hipster at all. Rez Abassi (another forum member) also plays one and is not a hipster.
    Oh, phew. That's great to hear. For a second there I thought maybe the fact that these guitars are popular with non-jazzer hipsters meant that there were literally no jazz players left who play them.

User Info Menu

Tele meets Lester. Triggs did 6-7 of these. This one he made for his best friend. The carve on that top is amazing.

D'Angelico Solid Body Guitars-daed0184-94e0-4e0a-809d-61ae5c5cb97f-jpgD'Angelico Solid Body Guitars-aff17f15-b98e-48b4-b5ee-b0e45c46f8d2-jpgD'Angelico Solid Body Guitars-25b8a46f-824a-4f18-8b7a-40376594bc9f-jpgD'Angelico Solid Body Guitars-1d489e4f-f3c1-41cc-afcd-6184cb353c26-jpgD'Angelico Solid Body Guitars-3811597c-1c46-4506-8761-42cb7ff42864-jpg

User Info Menu

I will be posting one of these Triggs solid body's for sale once the Triggs Tele sells. Another guitar from the Ted Krause collection- and very rare indeed.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

I'm waiting for a D'Angelico "Telecaster" - just imagine a Telecaster body with the D'Angelico headstock.

Or the new D'Angelico "Flying V".

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by entresz
    I'm waiting for a D'Angelico "Telecaster" - just imagine a Telecaster body with the D'Angelico headstock.
    lol, neck heavy AF

User Info Menu

Obscure the head stocks and I'd think I was looking at a page of Reverends, another brand I'd love to explore if I didn't have too many guitars already. I'll pass.

User Info Menu

This one's shape reminds me of the Heritage head stocks.

Quote Originally Posted by ThatRhythmMan
    There are other headstock options that were used by Mr. D’A himself. Some may even function better in almost every way.

User Info Menu

The prostitution of a great name. Heartbreaking.

John D. is spinning in his grave.

User Info Menu

I think the reverend comment was spot-on. Wouldn't surprise me if they were made in the same plant.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    I think the reverend comment was spot-on. Wouldn't surprise me if they were made in the same plant.
    Why is it though, if these said Reverend on the headstock, my reaction would have been "Not for me, but I bet they're good guitars?"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Why is it though, if these said Reverend on the headstock, my reaction would have been "Not for me, but I bet they're good guitars?"
    Leaving aside the hole question of whether the Ferrolitos are satan's spawn, there's a very particular aesthetic to D'Angelico (both the originals and and various generations of remakes). Basically, it's art deco archtitecture/furniture design applied to guitars, and there's a visual "language" to this that these guitars pretty much break. It's like putting screwing white formica tops onto something like this:

I mean you _could_ do that, and someone who wants a white formica top on their vanity might buy it and even like the way it looks, but someone who is conditioned to associate white formica with a completely different aesthetic language finds it bizarre and wrong (maybe without being aware of why).

John

User Info Menu

These guitars are probably geared for us Old Timers or Jazz Guitarists anyway. I totally get the insult to John D'Angelico's legacy argument, and agree. But we are all guilty of the branding thing, and cheapening of once made great products.
    i think my argument for that is the Big Box stores and now Amazon.
    One good thing is that these guitars are a lot better than what I started on as youngster,LOL!

User Info Menu

They look like copies of Reverend guitars with ugly headstocks.

User Info Menu

It's a business. They want to sell guitars. I find it hard to muster moral outrage over a manufactured chunk of wood and metal with a headstock that was duly bought and paid for. Of course, they're still ugly and they are trying to piece together things that don't match, but it's just a business and a product.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Spook410
    It's a business. They want to sell guitars. I find it hard to muster moral outrage over a manufactured chunk of wood and metal with a headstock that was duly bought and paid for. Of course, they're still ugly and they are trying to piece together things that don't match, but it's just a business and a product.
    True enough, but it's a product whose sale price (and therefore profit margin) can vary greatly depending on the perceptions of the customer. If people who might be tempted are turned off by a perceived insult to a great luthier, then the branding was a failure, yeah?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Joe
    True enough, but it's a product whose sale price (and therefore profit margin) can vary greatly depending on the perceptions of the customer. If people who might be tempted are turned off by a perceived insult to a great luthier, then the branding was a failure, yeah?
    It's a nice thought Joe and in a better world maybe so. And there are probably multiple facets to what might be an insult to a craftsman. If you were in his shoes, having a zillion guitars with your name on the headstock might actually be kind of cool. Even if the flat tops and solids were strangely disjoint in their design.

User Info Menu

D'Angelico Solid Body Guitars-ce1ca5dff98a39dd18752b36069409c9-jpg

These guitars remind me of this.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Longways to Go

That is it EXACTLY!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lammie200
    I guess that Art Deco headstock et al goes with everything. Kinda like shorts
    May the shorts be with you.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Longways to Go

Exactly! I played with someone whose wife had a VW like this.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Spook410
    It's a nice thought Joe and in a better world maybe so. And there are probably multiple facets to what might be an insult to a craftsman. If you were in his shoes, having a zillion guitars with your name on the headstock might actually be kind of cool. Even if the flat tops and solids were strangely disjoint in their design.
    I suppose. On the other hand, if one had spent one's entire life building a reputation for quality, and someone puts out a bunch of cheap crap with your name on it, maybe that's not such a cool thing.