The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Posts 101 to 125 of 143

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by itsall4you
    I'm just not a very emotional person when it comes to matters like these. I guess yes patient is a word that people sometimes use to describe me. Also, I do think it is an easy and seemingly small mistake to make to write 2 instead of 1 pickups, although the end result is catastrophic, I do understand how it could have happened. Although I'm disappointed at the mistake, I don't hold it against him because we all make mistakes.
    So this is still going on and has not been settled ?

Sorry, but we're not talking about being patient here, I don't believe. I would consider you a patient person if you had been asked and accepted a delay in delivery. But that would also imply that aside from that issue, all other spec's are correct and the guitar is being built as ordered - - it'll just be a little late. This happens all the time.
    But this build is a mistake, with a catastrophic result, as you've said.

Again, MHO, the longer this resolution is delayed, the lesser your chances of getting anything other than what he proposes.

Good luck.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by itsall4you
    I'm just not a very emotional person when it comes to matters like these. I guess yes patient is a word that people sometimes use to describe me. Also, I do think it is an easy and seemingly small mistake to make to write 2 instead of 1 pickups, although the end result is catastrophic, I do understand how it could have happened. Although I'm disappointed at the mistake, I don't hold it against him because we all make mistakes.

What I did have a problem with was the way he responded AFTER I told him the problem and the fact I thought it was a problem. In my mind that was the totally wrong way to respond to the situation and the amount of business he's done, he should have known better to consider it to be a significant problem right away.

Anyway, hope it clears up a little bit.
    Makes perfect sense. It's not the mistake, it's the way he is not resolving it.

Not that it matters, but I am curious as to how far into the build was the error discovered. It's obvious he didn't show you the finished top before it was attached to the body. Doing that could have nipped this in the bud.

User Info Menu

I had commissioned a guitar to be built by a well known builder. I was very specific about what I wanted. Double cutaway thin line. We had a very friendly exchange over email and when I said I wanted a depth of about half of a full sized guitar, he mentioned that he always liked half guitars.
    Well here's the problem. He just sent me a photo of the guitar and it's not at all what I had in mind. He was apologetic but he said the build was top quality, maybe I'd still like it the way he built it. He tried to say that maybe I was unclear and there are friends of mine who say it's just as good or maybe even better, a step up just to have his name on the instrument, that's a keeper.

Honestly, I can't imagine playing it. I know I'm being too picky. But it just seems wrong to me. Should I try it and see if I'm wrong about being so insistent? He says he won't give me my money back because it's already built. He needs to find someone else to buy it first.

What do you guys think? Bird in the hand? Maybe I don't need all those low notes anyway.

David

Wrong custom guitar build-screen-shot-2018-06-12-9-39-38-am-png

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TruthHertz
    I had commissioned a guitar to be built by a well known builder. I was very specific about what I wanted. Double cutaway thin line. We had a very friendly exchange over email and when I said I wanted a depth of about half of a full sized guitar, he mentioned that he always liked half guitars.
    Well here's the problem. He just sent me a photo of the guitar and it's not at all what I had in mind. He was apologetic but he said the build was top quality, maybe I'd still like it the way he built it. He tried to say that maybe I was unclear and there are friends of mine who say it's just as good or maybe even better, a step up just to have his name on the instrument, that's a keeper.

Honestly, I can't imagine playing it. I know I'm being too picky. But it just seems wrong to me. Should I try it and see if I'm wrong about being so insistent? He says he won't give me my money back because it's already built. He needs to find someone else to buy it first.

What do you guys think? Bird in the hand? Maybe I don't need all those low notes anyway.

David

Wrong custom guitar build-screen-shot-2018-06-12-9-39-38-am-png
    He should at least offer to cut the price in half.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rio
    He should at least offer to cut the price in half.

On the contrary! He said adding a cutaway is an upcharge!
    David

User Info Menu

i play everything in half time anyway

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joe2758
    i play everything in half time anyway
    Yeah once the game starts up again, there goes my practicing...
    David

User Info Menu

Funny, David! Maybe you and Mick can write a new book on "treble voice leading?!"

In all seriousness, though, what's the update from the OP?

User Info Menu

FWIW, I'd be inclined to get my money back and try another builder. They are out there.

User Info Menu

Without wishing to sound otherwise or unsympathetic, he needs to put it right, it is HIS error, these things do and can happen, the reality is it is not your doing, but HIS.

Luckily a guitar and not your health or body, they made a mistake with.

In building high end guitars he needs to prepared to take the risks and rewards.

De Niro or Trump would say he should get his F******* act together.

Do not let emotion sway, as you demonstrated good faith in paying for and waiting.

User Info Menu

So it's been around 3 weeks now, and still no resolution?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    I think the builder has all the resolution he needs. There's no reason at this point to believe it's anything but business as usual for him. Where there's no accountability, some see it as license to continue as long as nobody messes with the flow of money.
    Welcome to the present.

David

User Info Menu

Itsall4you

Please post the builder's name.
    If someone else gets ripped off, you be complicit by your act of omission.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    I don't think the guy will be updating this thread anytime soon.

He's traveling from NZ to the US just to collect the guitar, so I think he'll end up accepting what the luthier will give him and he will pay for the guitar with little or no discount.

User Info Menu

That is very sad if that is indeed what happens, more so if this person doesn’t have his name posted and has essentially swindled someone with no repercussions. At the very least his name should be put out there.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rio
    At the very least his name should be put out there
    Well, the only certain bit of info about him is that's he's from Texas.

User Info Menu

I think the OP is wise to keep the name to himself until whatever happens with the guitar is a done deal.
    The threat of bad PR is a small bit of leverage that the OP might find useful if the transaction goes further south.
    If it were me, I'd be playing all Mr. Niceguy in dealing with the builder up to the point where it became clear that no happy resolution was forthcoming. Then the gloves come off!

I hope the OP finds a satisfactory solution and I hope he shares it on this thread.
    I also hope he shares the name of the builder when all is said and done.
    Inquiring minds want to know -- nobody wants a repeat performance of this deal !!!

User Info Menu

I went to a well known seafood restaurant last week. Got a really bad case of food poisoning. I paid for the meal anyway, the owner said I had to since he couldn't stay in business if he gave everyone who got sick their money back. I'm not going to say which place it was though. I wouldn't want him to retaliate, especially since my friends like to eat there. Who can say what he can do if he's mad at me.
    I have a reservation there next week. Taking the wife for our anniversary. I'm a little nervous but I'm even more nervous about what she'd do if she found out I didn't warn her. What are the chances it'll happen again? Best solution, chalk it up to bad luck and enjoy the doggie bag I took with me.

User Info Menu

I went to a well known seafood restaurant last week. Got a really bad case of food poisoning. I paid for the meal anyway, the owner said I had to since he couldn't stay in business if he gave everyone who got sick their money back. I'm not going to say which place it was though. I wouldn't want him to retaliate, especially since my friends like to eat there. Who can say what he can do if he's mad at me.
    I have a reservation there next week. Taking the wife for our anniversary. I'm a little nervous but I'm even more nervous about what she'd do if she found out I didn't warn her. What are the chances it'll happen again? Best solution, chalk it up to bad luck and enjoy the doggie bag I took with me.
    :lol

User Info Menu

Fool me once shame on you fool me twice...

User Info Menu

I am hoping this is a great bit of sarcasm

as a custom build gone wrong will likely not have a chance to kill you... however....

I will never again eat at Sushi Boat Town since 2 Mother's Day's ago, I got not 1, but 2 long
    black hairs knotted around to my Caterpillar roll...

Oh I'm getting ready to hurl just by recalling it!

User Info Menu

This is simple.
    The build is not what you ordered.
    Your compromise ( which I do not accept personally) ..Forget the time element and have him build the correct guitar and he compensates you for your loss in any expenses incurred as well as sending the correct guitar at his expense.

(Were I the builder, that is what I would do.)

Go to the wall, every day, in every way.

User Info Menu

Go to The Gear Page
    They have a good policy for outing crappy builders.
    There are so many people over there who have lost many multiples of thousands of dollars to shady builders and now you can search to find out the details. Sometimes people post wild and/or unsubstantiated grievances and they are quickly called out on it. Many many times the builder will step in and make things right or shed light on the true events. Some builders react in wildly defensive and insanely hilarious ways when they are dragged out into the light (Ken, are you there?) Pseudo supporters and shills posting from new accounts are common. But it seems to work out and I have a long list of crappy guitar, pedal, and amp builders to avoid.
    And so what if their business is hurt. If you ordered a V6 Honda with cloth interior and they delivered an L4 with leather interior, would you say, "oh well?"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bohemian46
    This is simple.
    The build is not what you ordered.
    Your compromise ( which I do not accept personally) ..Forget the time element and have him build the correct guitar and he compensates you for your loss in any expenses incurred as well as sending the correct guitar at his expense.

(Were I the builder, that is what I would do.)

Go to the wall, every day, in every way.
    This is easy to say when you're not the one in his position. What if he gets tough and then the builder ignores him? We're talking about two locations on the other side of the earth.

User Info Menu

Well, I do know that so far, all we've heard is one side of this story, posted almost a month ago, and then basically nothing since.

I fully sympathize with the OP if this actually happened to him as he described it. I also sympathize with the members here who offered their suggestions and opinions concerning the transaction, and then haven't heard a thing as to any help their suggestions may have been in resolving the op's issues.

I know one thing that naming the builder would do - -it'd give someone here the chance to contact the builder and get the other side of this story, and I'm pretty sure that wouldn't take any of us a month.

MHO
    Last edited by Dennis D; 06-16-2018 at 02:45 PM.