The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 64

User Info Menu

I was thinking about this and thought it’d be fun to hear people’s preferences. I have seen some amazing craftsmanship with fancy inlays but personally I am not into that - I actually like a nice ebony board with no inlays but that isn’t an option since we are talking inlays. I have liked the one Ibanez has used for so long although the center slanted part borders a bit on flashy with the Abalone but I still Ike the design and that they’ve used it for so long.

As plain as it is I still love the plain old rectangle inlays on Gibsons like the L5 - it is classy and you can see some three dimension stuff in the inlay when you look close but from further back it isn’t distracting. There are several other “honorable mentions” as well, but my favorite has to be the ES-175 style inlays. I love the design, it also has some three dimensional stuff when up close without being distracting, it suits the guitar well and it is a classic for a reason. Hard to top that I think, for me.

What are your favorites?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I'm with you. I like block inlays (L5) and parallellogram inlays (ES175/350) best. For looks, I like the ES350 better than the Tal Farlow. Restrained and tasteful for me, please. Dots are fine with me too. I'm put off by "tree of life" inlays and the like - very much over the top for my taste despite the workmanship, time and effort it takes to make it.

Sendt fra min SM-T810 med Tapatalk

User Info Menu

No inlays followed by dot inlays followed by block inlays followed by parallelograms. Inlays cost a lot and do nothing for tone. And resale on inlays is bad, meaning that the same model guitar with florid inlays isn't going to be valued much more than one which is plainer.

I asked for a quote on a guitar recently. Black pearl shell and paua abaloney soundboard purfling, rosette, fretboard purfling, headstock, back and rim purfling, fretboard inlays...$5150, guitar not included.

That is a lot of shell...like rhinestones on a cowboy.

User Info Menu

I prefer guitars with a very clean look, so I'm into dots - and chrome/nickle hardware when it comes to that. I admit more fancy inlays and hardware can look very good on some guitars, but in the end - dots and chrome/nickle for me.

User Info Menu

No inlays, then gibson block and parrallelograms. Don’t really like dots (it’s not a deal breaker, i loved my 125). I HATE when they are very rainbow as opposed to mostly white...that would actually be a deal breaker.

ps- gold colored hardware is also a deal breaker

User Info Menu

I like the Eastman dots - very small, understated. I don't much like big blocks. But I have never based a purchase on the inlays. I don't even think about them much. I have some guitars with gold hardware, some with chrome/nickel, and I don't really care about that either. Inlays and hardware have nothing to do with playability or sound. I also don't care about figured wood. I think, but can't prove, that it detracts from the strength and sound of the instrument.

User Info Menu

I tend to love the classic Gibson trapezoid maybe because it reminds me what was on my father's LP signature when I was still a toddler.
    Incidentally its what is on my LP standard and even Warmoth tele!
    I truly love the inverted crowns on my Tal because it makes it unmistakable, but I understand its not for everyone's taste.
    Dots are boring to me as they are far too common but they absolutely don't bother me particularly on my 125...
    Ebony fret boards are gorgeous without any inlay!
    In any case, inlays shape or material were never was a criteria in buying or not an instrument!

User Info Menu

I'm much used to blocks, but dots or parallelogram are fine too, even none at all, I don't look at the fretboard when I play.

But it must be decent material, I mean, they are there for esthetic reasons, so ... please....!
    Ibanez' acrylic (plastic) block inlays really turn me off, one reason I don't buy their cheaper instruments anymore.

Jabberwocky said: Inlays cost a lot
    Not on industrially made guitars. Today the cutouts as well as the inlays are fully CNC made and glued in assembly-line style. That way they do not really ad cost significantly. Look at all the China made guitars with (too much) abalone all over the place.

With entirely hand-made guitars it might be a different thing.
    Last edited by DonEsteban; 05-21-2018 at 09:45 AM. Reason: typo

User Info Menu

CNC machines are becoming more common, as the price decreases. They can cut inlay patterns more precisely and quickly than anyone can do it by hand. Building an instrument entirely by hand does not necessarily produce a superior instrument, and I would argue that it more often produces an inferior one. One must use tools of some kind, and better tools produce better results, in every field.

User Info Menu

I generally prefer simple -- like dots. But I have no problem with parallelograms or blocks either.

My very favorite is the banjo inlays on my '34 L7.
    I know there's a name for that style, but it's not coming to me.

edit: Oh yeah, they are called "Nick Lucas" inlays.
    Last edited by Longways to Go; 05-21-2018 at 01:03 PM.

User Info Menu

Blocks, Split Blocks, no inlays, Dots, Parallelograms, Blocks with abalone triangles, trapezoids, Blocks with abalone parallelograms, birds. I am not crazy about Gibson's "hearts and flowers" or "Picture frame inlays" or the inlays on Barney Kessel or Tal Farlow models.

I like inlays OK. Pearl, abalone and even pearloid all work for me.

But if there are no inlays, it better have side dots!

User Info Menu

None on ebony.

On rosewood, my favorite choice would be the Gibson "Double parallelogram," a la the 175.

On maple, a good old black Fender dot. Don't space mine too far apart at the 12th fret, thank you.

User Info Menu

Favorite Fretboard Inlays?-1953-epiphone-zephyr-deluxe-regent-vintage-hollowbody-electric-guitar-wohsc-usa-252606428498-2-jpgFavorite Fretboard Inlays?-p3_ubikhl412_ss-jpg

My favorite inlays are the cloud design on vintage Epiphone Deluxes. I also like the split rectangle design on my 1951 Epiphone Zephyr Regent. Squares are okay, but these are artistic.

User Info Menu

I love those cloud inlays!

Also, very fond of the Mark Campellone inlays he is doing for Vinny1k's new rig...

User Info Menu

One inlay I hate is the Gypsy guitar 10th fret marker. I have been playing with a 9th fret marker too long.

User Info Menu

I like whatever you call the ones on the guitar I have. I'm good with 'em.

I played a Strat w/dots for a long time. Had no problem with it but I prefer a darker fingerboard with inlays now. This could change. (I may be getting older but I ain't dead yet!)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    One inlay I hate is the Gypsy guitar 10th fret marker. I have been playing with a 9th fret marker too long.
    That both seems weird to me! On my classical I have a dot on the 7th (on the neck, not the FB)

User Info Menu

The big early 30's L5 inlays.

User Info Menu

My future Campellone, Super 400, 175, TF, L5. Not a dot fan. Also I need markers. No markers is not a option for me. I have always had them. I might get lost without them.

User Info Menu

a lot of classical players put little dots on the neck instead for some guidance

User Info Menu

Depends on the guitar - but for substantial inlays I like the Collings parallelograms.

User Info Menu

I like dots and diamond shape ( but never had them ) .

I like the wood so don't like large blocks that eat up the nice feeling nice looking wood.

I hate no inlays because I need them .
    Last edited by Robertkoa; 05-25-2018 at 01:09 PM.

User Info Menu

I was thinking about this the other day. Why do we even have markers on the fretboard at all? You can't see it when you're playing and side dots are sufficient to locate position so why? I prefer NO fretboard markers at all and only tolerate the black dots on my maple Tele necks. A side dot at the fifth and double dots at the 12th are plenty for me.

User Info Menu

I can’t believe no one has gone for the classic Epiphone inlay. I’ll have to be the first. This is my ‘46 Emperor.

User Info Menu

the early 1/4 moon prs inlays were nice

& reflected just enough so that you can see'm

cheers