The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 25 of 25

User Info Menu

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on an amp that might best compliment my Ibanez L5 with Johnny Smith style floating pickup. I had a Twin Reverb and a Blues Junior III with Greenback (better) in the past, so I'm used to those tones, but open to all ideas. I don't need super LOUD. Cost also a factor.

Cheers

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Princeton or clone thereof like the Morgan PR12?

User Info Menu

Budget? There are fine amps out there from $300 - 3000; what is your range?

User Info Menu

If it has a carved spruce top, I suggest a good SS amp over tubes.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whiskey02
    Uh-oh, here we go....

It is. Hmm what is the thinking behind that? I’ve never owned a higher end SS amp.

User Info Menu

I'm super happy at the moment with my Fender Pro Junior. But I also dig my DV Mark Little Jazz.

Plus I have 1/2 dozen other equally satisfying amps sitting around the house just in case I think I need to hear something different.

User Info Menu

Henriksen amps sound great with an L5, and archtops in general. Another one that really does well with it is the Fender Mustang GT. It is a modeling amp but there are some really great sound possibilities for jazz guitar in that amp and one of those is going to be a lot cheaper than an Henriksen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

I think a SS amp sounds a little more focused, in general, than tube amps, and is a little "quicker" on the response....so if you pair it with a carved, spruce top archie which can sound rich, but less focused (the L5 sound vs. a 175 sound), the two kind of marry well, and compliment each other.

Conversely, a really rich sounding tube amp can make even a strat sound more like an archtop....but sometimes I think a rich archtop sound with a rich tube amp can sound a little flabby and indistinct.

Wes M. experimented and used a Standel amp....which I think is SS, at least some of the time, with his L5.

(Infinite number of variations....175 plus Polytone sounded great for lots of players, but Jim Hall's 175 used a big Gibson tube amp for a long time....so these are not absolutes.)

We're talking pretty fine gradations of sound here...almost like which brand of mayo do you prefer on a BLT sandwich.

User Info Menu

my not exactly a rule of thumb was that I preferred tubes with set in humbuckers and ss with floaters, but either works if you know what you're doing. I generally prefer tubes but it's a 100 watter, so that can get out of hand pretty easily. luckily, I love feedback

Quote Originally Posted by marcwhy
    Budget? There are fine amps out there from $300 - 3000; what is your range?
    Probably < $1500, but quality and a good investment means more to me.

User Info Menu

Really, take a look at the Morgan PR12. These are great and well made amps. The 12 inch speaker makes it sound big and loud (if you want to) but it still has the Princeton sweetness and not too much bottom end (with is a problem with big amps and archtops).

Quote Originally Posted by Frank67
    Really, take a look at the Morgan PR12. These are great and well made amps. The 12 inch speaker makes it sound big and loud (if you want to) but it still has the Princeton sweetness and not too much bottom end (with is a problem with big amps and archtops).
    Thanks, nice looking amp, would love to try. Still, too expensive for me unfortunately.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feet
    my not exactly a rule of thumb was that I preferred tubes with set in humbuckers and ss with floaters, but either works if you know what you're doing. I generally prefer tubes but it's a 100 watter, so that can get out of hand pretty easily. luckily, I love feedback
    This^^^^^^^^^^^^

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by p1p
    Thanks, nice looking amp, would love to try. Still, too expensive for me unfortunately.
    Very similar circuit amp with more jazz factor (C Rex speaker), factory produced, $950 cheaper.

https://www.sweetwater.cm/store/deta...acquered-tweed
    Last edited by medblues; 05-19-2018 at 04:02 PM.

User Info Menu

Speakng very generally, SS amps do a better job of simply ( neutrally) amplifying the signal that is put a into them without adding their own(tube) “character” to it. A carved top is an acoustic instrument, acoustic instruments are imho better represented by not adding anything else to their sound. There are many many exceptions to what I’ve said here because it is not a rule, just a general preference. Plenty of people want to change or add something else to an acoustic sound. You could be perfection happy with either or both but you mentioned cost and good sounding SS amps are usually less costly than tubes of too.

Actually, an optional headphone out on a SS amp would be a bonus.

Thoughts on combo vs head + speaker?

User Info Menu

I have a Roland Blues Cube Stage amp, new model. I know some here think it's sacrilege to *not* have a tube amp, but the Roland engineers have recreated the tube sound (amp has great reviews online) with great tone and control at low volume.

User Info Menu

Mike Stern mentions the Roland Blues Cube (in the “rig rundown” thread) specifically as being a great-sounding solid state amp.

User Info Menu

Combo vs head/cab: A combo is more convenient, you don't have to keep track of and carry separate items. Head/cab is more versatile, you can mix and match at will, and you can keep a small head close with the cab further away if that's your preference. I have both, multiple heads and cabs, and a couple of combos. I tend to take my Little Jazz when I go out, because of its portability and convenience. The Vibrolux Reverb never goes out, in fact seldom gets out of the closet. I go back and forth between an old AE Clarus v1 head and a GK MB200, usually into a RE Stealth 10ER cab. I could live with much less if I needed to, but I don't have to, so I use all of them as I decide at the time.

Thanks all,

I'm thinking I may look into a head/cab in the future. I thought about the headphones out for 'quiet' practice, but really the guitar is loud enough acoustically.

I'd like to spend more time with the guitar and the amps I've got, play around and see what I like. I remember with the Fender amps, it was pretty boomy with the occasional feedback/howl on low notes.. I'm not sure about another Fender, having parted with a couple already.

I do have an old JSH C50R SS amp (2 x 8" combo made in UK) with American parts, like the Accutronics spring reverb, which I think sounds pretty good. It does crackle and pop when adjusting the volume, but that's the only issue. Anyone have any info on these amps?

I've also got a Yamaha THR10C which allows me to try a variety of amp models. I had never used the "flat" setting until today, which actually sounds great to me, with better response than the modelling stuff. This, along with all of your comments, is pushing me in the SS direction for sure. Thanks again!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by p1p
    Thanks all,

I'm thinking I may look into a head/cab in the future. I thought about the headphones out for 'quiet' practice, but really the guitar is loud enough acoustically.

I've also got a Yamaha THR10C which allows me to try a variety of amp models. I had never used the "flat" setting until today, which actually sounds great to me, with better response than the modelling stuff. This, along with all of your comments, is pushing me in the SS direction for sure. Thanks again!
    If you like your THR10C (love mine), you may look into the THR100 series (mono or stereo) coupled to a light cab might work well for you.

Quote Originally Posted by medblues
    If you like your THR10C (love mine), you may look into the THR100 series (mono or stereo) coupled to a light cab might work well for you.
    Great suggestion..

Yeah I love the THR10C, use it every day.

User Info Menu

About SS emulated amps.. I had one, a Fender Mustang IIIv2 (recently discontinued, I believe), but swapped it for another amp. All emulated amps I have come across have a similar problem: footswitch latency. Not workable when you need mid-song changes in sound (e.g. when you want to go from clean to distortion or anything else for a solo).

So, be sure to check for footswitch latency before you buy an amp with emulation.

I bought a Koch Jupiter 45 1x12 Combo instead. A lot more expensive than the Fender Mustang (which was rather "thin" sounding in band set-up as well), but a whole lot better sounding and no footswitch latency. It is a hybrid, having a tube in both the pre-amp and the power amp, which makes it sound like a full tube amp. It has a very nice clean sound, and stays clean at very high volumes as well (near endless headroom). It is more than loud enough in band situations, from what I have experienced. It has 2 channels (clean and distortion) and an additional booster option for the second channel.

Although this is about the head/cabinet-version of the Koch Jupiter 45, this youtube movie might be relevant for you, should you be interested in checking out the Koch:

(I have described my search for a new amp, which lead me to the Koch Jupiter, in another thread of this forum, here: Amp unicorn: solid state Deluxe Reverb (no noise, no tubes)?).

User Info Menu

Sequel Vermont. Hands down the best amp I’ve played a carved archtop through.