The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 34 of 34

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joe2758
    I play a 175 and roll my tone knob all the way off, not a legend though. My favorite tone is this:

Cool. It does sound very rolled off here (and good). Although Tal Farlow can sound very trebly also I think.
    I have an ES-175 too. I find that, Archtop + flat strings + a thick pick + humbuckers already cut enough treble so don't cut the tone from the pickups. It is very personal after all.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I'm just starting to tune my ear into tone more; before I just went with whatever was passable. So I guess I'm starting reverb, tone, presence, bass, treble all down. Thick pick. mids up. So that's the extreme and I'll work up from there (if I do at all)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    2. Depending on the unit, it may result in less change in tone than using the volume knob on the guitar (actually, I'm not certain about this).
    You're right. Because the pot in the pedal is after the tone-pots not wired in with them, using a volume pedal results in better high-end even as you dial down the volume via pedal.

User Info Menu

Not sure where all the responses to joe2758 are coming from, but there's some misinformation going around. The presence control on a Henriksen is just one of the frequency bands in the Henriksen EQ. It doesn't scoop mids as others suggest. It adds or reduces gain to high frequencies (7.2kHz+). It does not affect other frequencies at all, which is why you don't notice anything. It's very very different from a presence control on a blackface fender for example.

If you used something like a Tele, you'd notice the effect of the presence control. If you used OD, you'd notice the effect, too. For a tele, you'd notice that the presence control affects how much 'sparkle' your tone has. For OD, you'd notice that the presence control affects how 'fuzzy' or 'scratchy' your OD sounds. For a jazz guitar which likely is already producing very little energy in that frequency range, you will notice no effect.

Thanks again everyone for your input. I believe I have a solution. I've purchased an Earthquaker Arrows, which boosts the volume nicely while keeping it clean. Additionally, I'm looking at purchasing an Eastman T-146. Slimmer profile and a hotter inset pickup vs a floating pickup will serve me well.

User Info Menu

Coming from the rock and country world, I finally settled on a guitar cable amp rig with no pedals or outboard effects.

The volume and tone controls on your guitar are all I need, but the breakthrough for me came from a guitar tech who put treble bypass capacitors on the volume control, carefully selected to keep the treble frequencies at the proper balance as I rolled off the volume knob.

Some guitars are wired in such away as the tone goes flat and dull as the volume knob is turned down, likely the result of pickup reactions to cable impedance etc... But also maybe because of very poor quality capacitors in the tone knob circuit .. These were also replaced on my guitar to noticeable improvement.

Best 50 bucks I EVER spent was having an experienced tech work on my guitar wiring. I can go from clean spanky tones to blues to crunchy rock n roll rhyhms to all out Santana singing tones from about 4 to wide open on volume control.

User Info Menu

I would also vote for an eq pedal.

as Jorge said, you want to decrease bass and treble upon increasing volume and also push the mids. That will bring you upfront and it will sound good in a mix even if it may sound a bit boxy on its own. A volume pedal will not do that. An Empress ParaEq is a good one, but many others are fine too.

... but of course, telling the others to not drown you out is a good idea ... unfortunately in my experience not one that usually meets with sustainable success. I was playing with a heavy handed drummer in a rock band for a while. It always became such an unpleasant volume battle and I could still only hear the drums while it was Armageddon on stage ... that is not fun anymore.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy_G
    Coming from the rock and country world, I finally settled on a guitar cable amp rig with no pedals or outboard effects.

The volume and tone controls on your guitar are all I need, but the breakthrough for me came from a guitar tech who put treble bypass capacitors on the volume control, carefully selected to keep the treble frequencies at the proper balance as I rolled off the volume knob.

Some guitars are wired in such away as the tone goes flat and dull as the volume knob is turned down, likely the result of pickup reactions to cable impedance etc... But also maybe because of very poor quality capacitors in the tone knob circuit .. These were also replaced on my guitar to noticeable improvement.

Best 50 bucks I EVER spent was having an experienced tech work on my guitar wiring. I can go from clean spanky tones to blues to crunchy rock n roll rhyhms to all out Santana singing tones from about 4 to wide open on volume control.
    Wow what amp or pre-emptive or whatever are you using ?
    That's incredible !

User Info Menu

The amps that do this the best are Marshall Plexi type circuits, but often the original designs are wayyy too loud because the gain needs nearly dimed on them and they do not have master volume controls.

I have a Reinhardt LT which is a 20W plexi with powerscaling so it works well down to low volume levels but otherwise work exactly like a real Plexi.

The old 70s Legend RockNroll50 hybrid amps that you can buy for a couple hundred bucks do this well, are a brilliant design that can do this with a master volume. Great grab and go amp.

But... My favorite amp of my career is a Mesa Maverick. It has a cleanish Fender meets Vox channel and a Mesa meets Marshall dirty channel, sounds vibey and vocal and delivers all kinds of tones. Best amp ever made IMO.

Add guitars with split coil humbuckers or P Rail Pickups and you have a universe of classic tones available.

I own all of these and more.

I play mostly semi hollows and solid body guitars and while I do have a archtop, I prefer the others for what I do. If you are strictly a jazzkat with floating humbuckers on hollowbody guitars, this approach may not be right for you.
    Last edited by Tommy_G; 05-20-2018 at 01:35 PM.