The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 33 of 33

User Info Menu

Jaen guitars in Spain does smaller jazz guitars. I don't know about his prices, but it might be worth asking.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Hammertone - thanks, that actually clears up a ton.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marwin Moody
    This is the guitar I use, a Gibson ES-139. It was around 1200 bucks -brand new-, and I think it's around 800 bucks used. ...
    How are these type of guitars wired? Through the pickup holes?

As far as I know F hole guitars are wired by putting the pots and switches through the F holes.

User Info Menu

F hole guitars are wired mostly through the pickup holes, but the f holes help a little. On many the f holes are too small for the pots to fit through. The easiest way is always through the pickup holes, and maybe sometimes being able to reach through the f hole to aid in seating a pot. People use various materials to pull the pots and jack into place - fishing line, rubber/silicone tubing, string, etc. I find that heatshrink tubing works well. For the jack, a used guitar string is usually my first choice, because the end that was in the tuning peg is curled up and can be inserted through the hole for the plug and hold well enough to pull it in place, then just pulled out with more force. Trying to put the pots, switches, etc through the f holes is a losing proposition, especially with the pickups wired to them. Pickups won't fit through f holes, and soldering them in with the controls in place, through the f holes, is a dangerous proposition.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by orri
    How are these type of guitars wired? Through the pickup holes?

As far as I know F hole guitars are wired by putting the pots and switches through the F holes.
    There's a control cavity on the back!

User Info Menu

why do you want no f holes? If you're worried about feedback, the 339 can be played really loudly with no feedback. The eastman el rey sounds great for jazz. Not a fan for blues or rock tones out of it, even with the ER-3. And additionally, the ER series are neck heavy if you play standing and with the light finish and no pickguard, you'll wear the the finish quickly if you rest your right hand. I do love the jazz tone out of the el rey.

Here are a couple clips i did.

User Info Menu

Quite a bit higher than the OPs desired price, but Sabolovic Guitars from France also does a Club model: Sabolovic Lutherie, Club model : an amazing electric guitar

I haven't had the chance to play one of his guitars yet, but find them quite aesthetically appealing. There's a sensuality in the designs, for example - Sabolovic guitars on Instagram: “Our new super jazz deluxe. That big jazz box sounds powerful with 13-53 thomastick flatwound strings. Wonderful birdeye maple, massive…”

User Info Menu

Wow Jack, very nice playing. And the tones you deliver!!! Both guitars. Different but great. You could sell a lot of guitars for those companies! Thank You.