The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 38

User Info Menu

Before I get a flood of "this is jazz guitar, I don't use a strap ..." I want to clarify that this question is for folks who use one.

All of my straps seem to have been built for rockers are too long. The shortest one puts my 175 about 3 inches below where I'd like it. I like nice, soft leather straps and was hoping someone might have a recommendation. Thanks!!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I use Levy leather straps that I get at the local guitar shop. This is what I use on my Tele, which I wear pretty high:

MS1-BLK Hand-brushed Suede Guitar Strap - Levy's Leathers

User Info Menu

Franklin makes decent straps, readily available. Italia makes good straps, but they're rather pricey if you don't get a coupon/code, but they're easy to get. The Italia straps are pretty short, and I would advise getting the long version. I got the regular, and I have to adjust it about as long as possible for a full-depth archtop, and I'm not a big man by any means. The Franklin is about the right length for me. You can also get straps on Etsy et al. But have your wallet well-stocked.

User Info Menu

I wear my guitar up high, and have run into the same issue. I don't know about leather, but the neoprene straps I use can come in a "bass" version that's a few inches shorter. Maybe a shoe-repair shop could mod your leather strap to fit your needs?

PK

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I wear my guitars high, too. My +10-year-old Moody strap is still in fine condition. Some guys here swear by Brookwood, too.

User Info Menu

Levy's MSS-80 2-inch wide padded leather.

User Info Menu

I use a Levy's sueded on my #1, to keep my Ibanez centered over my belly-button. It could certainly go higher, and perhaps fit your purpose. I believe it's a junior model, designed for kids or small folk.

User Info Menu

A number of Levy's leather straps and a soft leather strap
    ( a freebie from Gibson ! ) each can be altered for length
    suitable for thinline to Archtops.

User Info Menu

levy as well --not to heavy as some other well made but bulky straps

User Info Menu

Jodi Head makes some very interesting designs that I like.

I've switched to Levy bass straps that are wide with padding for Les Pauls.

Jazz guitarists do use straps, at least some of us. A fundamental thing I was taught is to always use a strap for consistency. Of course I do violate that rule from time to time. But consistency makes sense, and if a strap can help, my teacher was right.

User Info Menu

Check out Brookwood Leather - custom made and good to work with.

User Info Menu

Levys. +1

User Info Menu

Souldier.

What guitar strap do you use?-20180505_180632-jpg

User Info Menu

i like the vintage levys m25 style....thin and unobtrusive, yet padded over the shoulder where it counts!!..and shoulder pad is moveable, to find the exact comfort spot...comes in some nice leathery colors as well!

plenty of length options...(plus you can always punch some (shortening) holes into the leather!

levys is top company...canadian..makes oem straps for many big guitar manufacturers...for years!!

cheers

ps- like old baseball mitts, these leather straps take a bit to break in...but once they do, there's no better

User Info Menu

A variery including 2 Levy leather straps.

User Info Menu

My favorite is the El Dorado Durango model

https://eldoradostraps.com/2014/06/0...tas-nice-list/

A bit spendy, but wonderful leather, well made and super comfortable.

User Info Menu

I just bought the most beautiful straps from McMurray and Blonde:

mcmurrayandblonde.com

These are cut to length, so no metal parts, and they’re made from Horween Chromexcel leather. Highly recommended.

User Info Menu

I use a Fender deluxe vintage strap, love the minimalist design, and the skinny ends that attach to the buttons, especially near the neck is as unobtrusive as it gets.

User Info Menu

I like Levy’s, but I also like Revo (maybe used to have a different name?) - a little heavy, but really confortable, very cool.

Revo Guitar Straps - Handcrafted Wooden Guitar Straps From Costa Rica

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by yebdox
    I like Levy’s, but I also like Revo (maybe used to have a different name?) - a little heavy, but really confortable, very cool.

Revo Guitar Straps - Handcrafted Wooden Guitar Straps From Costa Rica
    Those look really cool. They don't look very comfortable, but I guess looks can be deceiving.

The website is annoying, though.

User Info Menu

I have a nice leather strap that I was given for Christmas a couple of years ago.

Other than that, I use cheap nylon ones from guitar center. because they're cheap, and I don't see the point of spending a lot of money on straps. I mean, the leather one is nice, but it's not so much nicer than I feel the need to go out and get more.

User Info Menu

Straps are a rather personally subjective item. I have one of the Fender-style straps, and I don't like it much. I've used it for mandolin, but I really dislike it for guitar, because the pad moves so much, and the thin strap across my back is uncomfortable. I have several nylon straps, and I don't like them because they're so slick and unstable. I have one strap that I made from a belt. I bought a leather belt in the largest size I could find, glued some sheepskin to the inside for padding, and cut it so I could adjust the length. It works, but it's not my favorite. But my preferences are not everyone's preferences, and that's why they sell so many different types. There is a strap maker who posts here now and then, and he has very nice straps which feature metal hardware. I don't like metal on my straps, but some do. Like strings, I think the only way to find the perfect strap for you is to buy and try. The recommendations of internet strangers won't tell you much about your own preferences. The downside of this is that straps tend to be much more expensive than strings, but I don't know of a cheaper way to find out what you like.

User Info Menu

Italia straps

User Info Menu

It is true that one's choice of guitar strap tends to be a personally subjective item.
    For myself, I like the ability to leave the strap on the guitar when it gets returned to the case, so this means the strap can't have features that cause scratches or simply won't fit packed in the case while attached. That criteria pretty much rules out any metal buckles or hard trim, or bulk padding/thickness. I want the strap to be supple to be able to get folded into the case still attached, as that is a big part of the utility of design.

Adequate width across my shoulder spreads the weight well enoungh that extra padding is not necessary.
    Suede works well to prevent slippage. And it has to be well made enough to not elongate the strap button keyhole, in other words, it has to hold onto the guitar securely (though I do sometimes employ these Fender "strap blocks" that work very well, they are like a rubber washer and are a lot better than the similar Dunlop "Lok Strap" which are hard plastic, a little bulkier and a lot more finicky.)

I do own Levys, and other fancier (and less fancy) brands, and even have hand-tooled leather straps I made myself back in the 1970's. But in recent years, I've gravitated towards these simple lightweight suede straps from Franklin and Chromacast, and have purchased several in different colors. Very comfortable and they fit in the case while still attached. They are dirt cheap too, but that's not a negative feature (they are plain, but presentable.) I'm not necessarily seeking low cost straps, it's just that the features I want seem to be from some straps in that economy price bracket.

Franklin has 2"; 2.5" or 3" @ $21.99 sold direct, that ranges from 36" to 56" in their "Economy Purist Suede" line.
    What guitar strap do you use?-3c-h-br-468x512-jpg What guitar strap do you use?-41xkoojy9ul-jpg

Chromacast has an even lighter design, I've bought these from $12 to $20 from various sellers.
    What guitar strap do you use?-strap-pngWhat guitar strap do you use?-chromacast-jpg
    Chromacast
    from their product description:
    Garment grade suede for acoustic, electric, or bass guitars
    2.5" Width for maximum stability and support
    Adjusts from 44.5" to 51.5" in length
    Dual layered for increased durability
    Available in Black, Burnt Orange, Chocolate and Honey