The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 45

User Info Menu

Sounds great! Not sure if this has made the rounds here yet, it looks like it was from a couple years ago...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

always wanted to try a dynasonic in a gretsch- partially for the aesthetic, partially just to have something different for a change. it would be easy to swap it out if it didn't work. but dyna jets and clubs and falcons just look better.

here's a collection of clips of something similar- a full-sized dynasonic thrown into a guild- Pretty, Pretty Pickup - tonefiend.com

pretty intriguing. sounds a little meatier than in the clip above. and probably wasn't installed with an xacto knife, either

Well, as for Gretsches... TV Jones now makes a Dynasonic (he calls it the "T-Armond)... as well as a P90 (calls it T90) that will drop-in to any Filtertron hole. So all the Falcons and 6120s out anything else out there with Filtertrons, can now have a Dyna, with no modifications needed.

I've got T-90s in my Cabronita Thinline now (below), and love them, but also want to try the T-Armonds. I also have a 6120 I'd like to try T-Armonds in someday...

Jazz with Dynasonic Pickup  (video)-cabronita-t90-jpgJazz with Dynasonic Pickup  (video)-ta2-jpgJazz with Dynasonic Pickup  (video)-ta-jpg

User Info Menu

I just picked up a Gretsch Eddie Cochran model. Haven't received it yet. The Fralin P90 in the neck and Dyna in the bridge along with the fact that it is fully hollow are all positive signs.

The 'cow and cactus' inlays... well, we'll see.

User Info Menu

If I build another partscaster, the next one will most definitely be a cabronita with TV Jones T Armonds.

Quote Originally Posted by teleboli
    I just picked up a Gretsch Eddie Cochran model. Haven't received it yet. The Fralin P90 in the neck and Dyna in the bridge along with the fact that it is fully hollow are all positive signs.

The 'cow and cactus' inlays... well, we'll see.

LOL. I like the western motif, it's actually one of the reasons I'd like a DSW. I love the P90 in the neck of the EC, just not sure how I'd feel about a Dyna in the bridge... and yes: I do wish my Hot Rod was full-hollow, the trestle braces definitely make it "lean" more 335...

User Info Menu

I ordered one of these from Athens. Gonna try it out in my Eastman Pisano. I'll post a clip of it some day.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by omphalopsychos
    If I build another partscaster, the next one will most definitely be a cabronita with TV Jones T Armonds.
    you don't have to go that exact route. his new starwood tele pickups are dynas in a tele size. the copy says it's a mixture of both, but i could have sworn that someone, somewhere said that it was a tiny dyna.

Quote Originally Posted by ruger9
    Well, as for Gretsches... TV Jones now makes a Dynasonic (he calls it the "T-Armond)... as well as a P90 (calls it T90) that will drop-in to any Filtertron hole. So all the Falcons and 6120s out anything else out there with Filtertrons, can now have a Dyna, with no modifications needed.
    that was part of the reason for my interest in the dynas. if i didn't like them, i knew that they made lots of stuff that fit that route that i would love anyway. i remember sending them an email once asking about it, and he was very, very adamant that his pickups sound the same regardless of the size and housing. it stuck in my mind because that isn't what i'm used to hearing as a humbucker guy.

i really love my super'd 6118, but i always try to avoid redundancy. hence the intrigue in dynas.

and like both of you, i came really, really close several times to "cheaping out" and just making myself a parts caster and putting my old filtertrons or some dynas in it. i was able to back away each time, but i may not be that lucky forever.

User Info Menu

well as a fellow gdp'er i'm a huge fan of the dearmond dynasonic pickup..for any kind of music...but certainly gives nice clear articulate punch for jazz....

also very responsive to strings used...so experiment..(i like pure nickels)

here's an old classic clip thats been around both here and at the gdp...but always good nevertheless

the great mickey baker

cheers

User Info Menu

And of course Jesse Van Ruller has done much to popularise the idea of the Dynasonic as a great jazz pickup.

Hosted a workshop with JVR last week. He said he always runs his guitars with the tone on full. He loves the single coil sound but his current guitar of choice (a Westville Crest) has a humbucker purely to deal with single-coil noise issues when on the road / random venues / random backline.

User Info Menu

another old school dyna tone care of early gretsch endorser sal salvador

cheers

User Info Menu

I'm ordering a set of Gabojo "Mr 2000s" for my 1983 Matsumoku Epi Emperor. Have requested that they be unpotted.

Can't wait to hear how they sound.

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic

here's an old classic clip thats been around both here and at the gdp...but always good nevertheless

the great mickey baker

cheers
    I've heard of Mickey Baker, but is he really considered a jazz player? I hear his name mentioned more in rockabilly/old school type circles.... for example, JD McPherson is a big fan...

Quote Originally Posted by entresz
    I'm ordering a set of Gabojo "Mr 2000s" for my 1983 Matsumoku Epi Emperor. Have requested that they be unpotted.

Can't wait to hear how they sound.
    Just an FYI for all you humbucker guys... TV Jones sells all of his pickups available in "english mount", which is a standard HB mounting option.

Jazz with Dynasonic Pickup  (video)-t-png

User Info Menu

I've heard of Mickey Baker, but is he really considered a jazz player? I hear his name mentioned more in rockabilly/old school type circles.... for example, JD McPherson is a big fan...

are you kiddin??

he wrote the book/s on jazz!!!

& there's a pt 2!

and our own rob mackillops classic & ever wonderful tutorials!

the first-

cheers

User Info Menu

Just an FYI for all you humbucker guys... TV Jones sells all of his pickups available in "english mount", which is a standard HB mounting option.

Jazz with Dynasonic Pickup  (video)-t-png
    The TV Jones were on my radar, as were the Seymour Duncans, but I went for the Gabojos because the magnets are the full appropriate depth.

User Info Menu

I too have picked the Gabojos for the full size magnets, plus they were more than happy to make them unpotted.
    The price too is very reasonable.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by entresz
    I too have picked the Gabojos for the full size magnets, plus they were more than happy to make them unpotted.
    The price too is very reasonable.
    So glad I just read your post! I messaged Dimitrios and asked him to make mine unpotted.

The TV Jones were on my radar, as were the Seymour Duncans, but I went for the Gabojos because the magnets are the full appropriate depth.
    The TV Jones aren't? That would be odd, since he specializes in modern recreations of vintage pickups. It wouldn't make sense if they were "full depth" ??? (I'm not disagreeing you, it just doesn't make sense to me).

FWIW, a GDP'er did a shootout with the TVJs vs the Duncans. While I actually prefer the way the Duncans sound, they are a custom shop item, and I had a pretty horrific experience with the Duncan custom shop, as well as their customer service dept. Never again.

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    are you kiddin??

he wrote the book/s on jazz!!!

cheers
    HA! Now that you post a pic of the book, yes... the memory is jogged. I know that book is famous. I just rarely hear his name mentioned amongst the great jazz players... almost never in a conversation of "favorite jazz players"... I wonder why? It's always Green, Christian, Montgomery, Pass, Moore, et al....

User Info Menu

The TV Jones aren't? That would be odd, since he specializes in modern recreations of vintage pickups. It wouldn't make sense if they were "full depth" ??? (I'm not disagreeing you, it just doesn't make sense to me).
    The reason is simple. Most of TV Jones customers play solid body guitars. To make room for a full depth dearmond in a solid body would require excavating a massive chunk of wood out of your guitar. Instead people are typically willing to sacrifice originality for the convenience of Tele, humbucker, soapbar, and filtertron sized dearmonds.

The reason is simple. Most of TV Jones customers play solid body guitars. .
    Um, are you kidding?

I don't know the ratio, but I'm a huge presence on both Gretsch forums for many years, and HOLLOWbodies rule over Jets (chambered solidbodies) on those forums. Altho I can see TVJ making ONE "universal depth" for both guitras... that makes more sense... not that most of his [Dynasonic] customers play solidbodies.

User Info Menu

Fair enough. I don’t have his sales records to support my statement about his customers and you seem to know more about his stuff than I do. His t armonds aren’t “universal depth”, btw. They are the exact size of the respective pickups they intend to replace. Unfortunately his humbucker config doesn’t have a correct-length magnet option.

Fair enough. I don’t have his sales records to support my statement about his customers and you seem to know more about his stuff than I do. His t armonds aren’t “universal depth”, btw. They are the exact size of the respective pickups they intend to replace. Unfortunately his humbucker config doesn’t have a correct-length magnet option.

OH..... I kind of misunderstood.... I thought you meant ALL his T-Armonds were "short." Your clarification makes perfect sense.... for guys wanting to drop them into Les Pauls and 335s, no doubt. Which doesn't help you, wanting to drop it into a hollowbody.

I know you've already ordered something else, but I bet if you called him he's put an english mount on a "deeper" TA for you. I know he does little custom things like that. I don't think he'l custom wind a pickup, he sells what he sells, but little customizations like that, he does.

User Info Menu

The reason is simple. Most of TV Jones customers play solid body guitars. To make room for a full depth dearmond in a solid body would require excavating a massive chunk of wood out of your guitar.

. . .as if this ever stopped anyone.