The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 35 of 35

User Info Menu

Christian, I think you’ll get what you want from a clean boost with one knob for tone and one knob for level. The more dials and switches, the further you’ll get from the sound of your guitar plugged into your amplifier. Reference the recent “ amp up - guitar down” thread and then add a simple clean boost. A have a ModTone clean boostthe manufacturer gave me. The off-on switch can be a little noisy but I leave it on all the time so it’s cool with me.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    The SP compressor (Xotic) is nice and small... Does anyone have an opinion on that?
    Had one. Solid first try for what you need. There’s so much choice you can go crazy picking so I wouldn’t worry too much and just go for it and see if it’s at all what you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

OP, if boardspace/footprint is equally as important function, keep in mind that a mini pedal (ex. the SL comp) with side mounted jacks will take up the same amount of space as the next size up with top mounted jacks (ex. Diamond comp JR) and then again move up to ex. Wampler size with top mount jacks its only max ca. + 5-10mm in width over the mini size but alot more circuit.
    Then, if that wasnt enough, the Empress Para q (size ex.) placed vertically roughly equals regular sized sidemount jack pedals (ex. metalzone size etc.) Cheers.

User Info Menu

I can't speak to the compressors, because I've never gotten along with one LOL.

However- I have owned, and can recommend from the above posts:

RC Booster - fantastic pedal, altho I found it had a little "sterile-ness" to it... but don't listen to me, people love the thing!

EP Booster- great, but adds bass and that can't be disabled. May or may not work for your setup.

Spark - to me, this was an improved RC Booster. Great pedal, lots of EQ capability.

Klon/klones - yes indeed. I own one (a Rimrock Mythical OD), and it works great for this, and it is what I would use.

And yes, the good ol' Boss GE-7, altho if it were ME, I'd go with the MXR version... but it would have to be the bigger one with the level control, the M108.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Heya, quick question...

When I play with an electric band I often feel I want to round out the sound of the guitar a bit more without necessarily introducing too much more drive.

..snip..

So I wonder whether what I need is a clean boost (like the EP) or an EQ pedal... I think the EQ would be more versatile? But I'm not sure whether it could cover the base of a good sounding clean boost.
    EP Boost: Bought it, fell in love immediately, for a while that is... It's doing something to your signal that amazes you first, but then comes some sobering up. It's like a pretty face with too much make-up... for the lack of a better image. After some weeks I took it out of the signal chain and eventually sold it.

MXR 10 Band graphic EQ: Very versatile and good sounding unit. If you want to use a drive pedal after (!) it, you might consider an upgrade of the IC chips because they are not the quietest. With clean tone or drive pedals in front of it it's perfectly silent. After a while I got tired of it because the sound always has this "bent" character. I thought I can hear the EQ curve - might have been imagination - but it bothered me. Also it's bulky and you need an 18 Volt PSU, the latter being the main reason for selling it again.

I also used smaller graphic EQs from Donner, Mooer and others but didn't like them too much. The band (frequency) you want is never exactly there. I used parametric EQs in the studio a lot but wouldn't want one on stage, so I never tried.

Boost Killer by Donner: Stumbled on that one by chance. They say it's an RC Boost clone, well so be it. I use it always and for everything, even bought some more of them, they are really cheap. I use them as clean boost, as basic equalizer (just treble and bass) as low gain drive pedal, sometimes I daisy-chain two of them to get a not-so-low-gain drive and so on.

If I had to choose a pedal for the proverbial "lonesome island" this would be it.

Here is a video:

You buy them directly in China at Donnerdeal-Find Your Guitar Gear at Better Price-Free Shipping

EDIT: Just watched the video again (it's been a while). The little knobs have white markers now, in the video they are still without. If the drive knob - the big one - is all left there is absolutely no drive, totally clean sound. They don't really show that in the video.
    Last edited by DonEsteban; 05-01-2018 at 07:47 AM.

The new semiparametric Wampler EQuator it may be a good choice

Clean boost or EQ pedal?-wampler-equator-jpg

User Info Menu

I think EQ pedals are very useful. I have an MXR 6 band pedal. I don't know if I'm imagining it but I think it adds a bit of a artificial, processed sound. Although in live playing it's not noticeable.
    I think good boost pedals sound more natural. Even overdrive pedals with gain low can sound nicer than EQ pedals to boost mids or treble.

User Info Menu

Old thread but an always current topic. I've tried a lot of pedals, spend periods of playing with a board, multieffect etc, and always come back to my favorite of plugging a guitar straight to the amp. But when using pedals, i go by the sound i want to achieve. One thing is a compressor, another is a boost or a low gain overdrive, etc. Different results though, so i go by common sense. Want a bluesy sound, i use a Ts808, want a clean country type sound, a compressor, a bit more gain but same amp sound, a transparent overdrive or eq. My pedal collection is driven by what's classic, what has been used a lot and has many musical references. For every type of pedal there are a usually only a few classics (and they are usually cheap too), so that's what i try to get.

The most underrated pedal i own and use has been the Boss GE7 eq, in terms of versatility. You can use it for anything and with every type of guitar. Especially when it comes to gain type pedals, because the players picking hand is involved, you can never tell before hand what will work and what not, i've had great success and total failure both with expensive and dirt cheap pedals. Boutiques are an interesting journey, but you can also have a board with 5-6 Boss, Mxr, Ehx pedals and sound great and never need anything else.

User Info Menu

Well two years on I still play with a Boss GE7 and a TC spark booster, (and a tubescreamer, why not) which do exactly the thing I was wanting in the OP.

so my answer was, get both.

i suppose I should get a EP boost or a Vertex or something, but if it ain’t broke....

However the biggest cheap and cheerful success story for this year is - ART tube preamp into the Princeton. Sheer Tubey wonderment!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    I have a Boss GE-7 that works fairly well for this. I like to use it as a boost (or cut, depending on the situation) by setting the gain slider to whatever works with the setup. I often just keep the sliders flat, but I may boost or cut some frequencies. I can have it off for rhythm, and switch it on for solos, or vice versa, depending on my taste at the time. It's old, and it was a freebie with an amp purchase, but it works.
    +1 on the Boss GE-7