The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 20 of 20

User Info Menu

I posted this in the " Best " Les Paul model for jazz thread, but I'll post it again here. I've read that the LP has "too much of this or too little of that" for Jazz. Well, if you're interested, I'd say just listen to this:

"Jack Pearson plays and explains some wonderful jazz melody ideas on a Gibson Les Paul".

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Just dragged my Les Paul out of the closet after playing an archtop for 2 years, and tried to play some chord melodies on it.

Soundwise, there's no problem really.
    But comfortwise....it's absolutely impossible to play sitting down without a tight strap. Jack on the video is getting away with it because he has absolutely enormous hands. Normal players, I don't think would be able to do that.

User Info Menu

Great clip... never heard of him before... but he's got a great sound! Also check out Clint Strong for the Jazz Les Paul department.

User Info Menu

Does anyone imply there is actually a guitar you can't play jazz on? I've used a strat in a big band. Sounded good.

User Info Menu

Great tone and playing.Thanks for posting!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    Does anyone imply there is actually a guitar you can't play jazz on? I've used a strat in a big band. Sounded good.
    I like a challenge:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    I like a challenge:
    Least it has a neck pickup!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whippersnapper
    Least it has a neck pickup!
    - At least you can play 9th dimflat7 aug5sharp 3rd wholetone scale with tetrachords real easy on it!!! - Pequod

User Info Menu

Wow! I wonder how that would look over my fireplace?

User Info Menu

I was wondering how useful that could be in my fireplace.

User Info Menu

Seriously, I see two problem guitars: Esquires and steel string flat tops. Yeah, I don't get jazz on flat tops. Too jangly. And don't even mention piezo pickups. Way huge treble and zero bass.

User Info Menu

Seriously, I see two problem guitars: Esquires and steel string flat tops. Yeah, I don't get jazz on flat tops. Too jangly. And don't even mention piezo pickups. Way huge treble and zero bass.
    Too true, too true, we are seriously, irretrievably, unambiguously conditioned to that sound - those of us "of a certain age". But one works with what one gots, right ? <Anecdote NOT forthcoming.>

Randy

User Info Menu

I play a Heritage "LP" sitting down, with the strap over my shoulder, if I remember. I don't have huge hands and any discomfort is usually down to the lack of body contour (the guitar's not mine). So, there you go. I have heard this "complaint" before, though.

Great sound, eh? The thing is this guy (I discovered him about 2 days ago) plays on light gauge strings with a plain third, and a feather-like touch. I can't go near light strings without my evil Rock past taking over.

Yeah, I heard Clint Strong. Great lead sound, but maybe too much sustain for comping?

I can see the point about Esquires - where da neck pup go? Hehe.

User Info Menu

I like a challenge:
    I love that guitar! If you put a Lollar Charlie Christian in the neck position, it probably sounds pretty good. Imagine doing a gig with this monster - can't stop laughing!

User Info Menu

I like a challenge:
    That is an abomination that should be quickly converted to firewood and the maker have his luthier licensed revolked.

User Info Menu

Hey! I'd like to see the case they're putting that puppy in !

User Info Menu

I'm still trying to figure out that that lens is, between the headstocks.

User Info Menu

Maybe if I had one of these
    Last edited by dh82c; 10-27-2009 at 04:16 PM.

User Info Menu

Me, I started learning jazz on a strat, moved on to a 335 and the ibanez artcore, found myself with a les paul a couple of weeks ago. I'm happy I decided to go for it, I seriously believe jazz can be played on any guitar, and it's more a matter of personal taste. I would never trade this one in for any guitar, it fits me like a glove. The sound is the best jazz guitar sound I ever heard, which is why I decided to go for it. I prefer playing standing up, but if I'm lazy, well, it CAN be played sitting down too, but a strap is necessary. But walking about is fine when you play, to see if the apartment needs dustbustin', or if the coffee is about ready...
    Peace
    Skei (the enjoying it a lot one)

User Info Menu

I started on An Epiphone Les Paul, sounds pretty good but when I turned 15 I got my Love, My ES-175