The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 41
    Does anyone know of anyone besides Gibson and Heritage that make 335 style guitars? I think the Gibsons are a bit overpriced and I'm just not into the looks of the Heritage.

Seems like there are a lot a folks making guitars that clone Teles and Strats, and a lot of options if your looking for a big archtop or solid body with 2 humbuckers. Just seems the options are a bit slimmer in the 335 style catagory.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

You might want to look at the Epiphone Sheraton II. I have one and really like it.

Revmc

User Info Menu

I've heard that the Sadowsky Semi-Hollow (14.75" ?) is the pinnacle, and the Eastmans (they come in 14, 15, and 16" models) are supposed to be very good and much more affordable. Alas, I haven't tried any of them.

User Info Menu

Slimmer. Heh, heh, I get it. What's the Yamaha model? It's their top of the line and I remember a forum member loving his, saying it whipped the Gibby's butt in quality.

Hofner (the Beatles Bass people) have their Very Thin line (including a tribute to Obama, The Thin President)

Karl Höfner GmbH & Co KG - Verythin Classic

Check out Eastman's thinline series:

Eastman - Handcrafted Guitars and Mandolins

Sadowsky Guitars Semi-hollow: The Jim Hall Model get most of the attention here, but their Semi is great, too:

Sadowsky Guitars | Semi-Hollow Model

And is there a Gretsch Semi-hollow? Gretsches don't get much love in this forum, but in the Telecaster forum, people love the higher quality Gretsch models, especially with TV Jones pups. They say they're the only humbuckers that sound good, but remember these are single coil heads talkin'...

And does a Tele thinline qualify? The '69 and '72 styles:

Last edited by BigDaddyLoveHandles; 10-23-2009 at 11:49 AM.

Semi hollows:

D'Angelico make in Korea:
    D'Angelico Guitars:

D'Angelico Vestax, made in Japan (amazing guitars):
    D'Angelico?Vestax

User Info Menu

Maybe yamaha sa2200?

User Info Menu

Ibanez AS series. 103 is the best:

Ibanez guitars | Electric Guitars 2009

User Info Menu

er - Gibson.

or - Epi 335

I use both - GIbson for gigs and Epi for fooling naround with
    get Gibson - Jazz is Zen, Pequod

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    Slimmer. Heh, heh, I get it. What's the Yamaha model? It's their top of the line and I remember a forum member loving his, saying it whipped the Gibby's butt in quality.
    SA2200

Ive own the Gibson ES335 and the Epi Sheriton also the Yamaha SA2200 and have played the Ibanez AS 103 alot one of the guitar players in our band plays one. As for me Iam not a real big fan of Epiphone thats just me. I own the Gibson and the Yamaha at the same time for around 5 to 6 years and the Yamaha in my opinion and to my ear blew the Gibson away in sound and was built better and the neck for me felt great. Due to being a single parent and the illness of my daughter, I had to let go of the gibson and the Yamaha to pay doctor bills are I would still own the Yamaha. As for me if I was going to buy a cheaper clone of a 335 it would be a Ibanez and Iam sure theres other out there. My cousin bought a Ibanez AS85 I think that what it is and it plays nice and sounds decent. He payed $350.00 for it.

User Info Menu

I don't know why I didn't think to mention this before but the Carvin thread reminded me --- anyone looking for a semi-hollow owes themself a close look at the two new Carvins. Incredible guitars, incredible quality, incredibly inexpensive.

But NO dealers ... have to order direct but it's a fairly safe process, those are really fine guitars, IMO.

User Info Menu

Peerless,

User Info Menu

I have a great ES-335, but as soon as I have more money, I am definitely wanting the semi hollow made by Kopp, the maker of my archtop.

here are some pics of the semi hollow.
    419 Model Guitars pictures by dennykopp - Photobucket

User Info Menu

I have a 1984 Washburn HB-35. Made in Japan at the Matsumoku factory. A well-made guitar that sings like an angel. A re-wiring job with Tonerider Rocksongs really brought this guitar to life. These are far superior to the current Washburn HB-35s. I see them on e-Bay for under $500 regularly. I got mine in 2001 for $350.

User Info Menu

I have a Jsm100-vt (John Scofield signature model). Had a Gibson 335. Ibanez looks and plays better than 335 for a lot less. You could say it's a 'Scobanez'. Check it out.

User Info Menu

Collings makes a nice 335 type of guitar, the I-35.

Collings Guitars and Mandolins | Handmade Instruments from Austin, TX

They're quite expensive I believe, but I've heard nothing but good about them.

User Info Menu

Peerless make some good ones:

peerlessguitars_?

I've not tried the 335 style of Peerless but a friend with a mid '80s 335 said that he tried a Peerless 335 last month and it "totally wiped the floor" with his Gibson. He's not prone to exaggeration so I must assume that they're pretty good!
    They're a bit difficult to find though...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Homey
    Peerless make some good ones:

peerlessguitars_?

I've not tried the 335 style of Peerless but a friend with a mid '80s 335 said that he tried a Peerless 335 last month and it "totally wiped the floor" with his Gibson. He's not prone to exaggeration so I must assume that they're pretty good!
    They're a bit difficult to find though...
    Hey Homey !

If your friend was serious - and I'm just wondering ... did he already sell his Gibson and buy some of those Peerless guitars that "totally wiped the floor with his Gibson" ? (I suppose what he/you meant to say was "totally wiped the floor OF his Gibson" ?)

Anyway, please ask him to PM me. I'd LOVE to take that ES-335 off his hands in exchange for a few of those Peerless imitations, OK ? They aren't hard to come by here in California

Cheers !

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by randyc
    Hey Homey !

If your friend was serious - and I'm just wondering ... did he already sell his Gibson and buy some of those Peerless guitars that "totally wiped the floor with his Gibson" ? (I suppose what he/you meant to say was "totally wiped the floor OF his Gibson" ?)

Anyway, please ask him to PM me. I'd LOVE to take that ES-335 off his hands in exchange for a few of those Peerless imitations, OK ? They aren't hard to come by here in California

Cheers !
    Hi Randy
    He said he was serious - he didn't buy the guitar, he was just killing time while he was waiting for a hospital appointment and not even shopping for one! Sorry for the brit expression - just means 'compared very favourably' I guess, to put it politely!
    He still has his 335 but I don't think he'd ever part with it, even though he's getting on a bit, I'm pretty sure he said that he bought it new!
    He's not got a computer but he'll be over with us for lunch tomorrow. If you have any questions, I'd be happy to ask him and PM you.

Regards,

User Info Menu

I've been browsing around 335 alternatives lately and came across this on Youtube which might give you some idea what the Peerless is like.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Homey
    Hi Randy
    He said he was serious - he didn't buy the guitar, he was just killing time while he was waiting for a hospital appointment and not even shopping for one! Sorry for the brit expression - just means 'compared very favourably' I guess, to put it politely!
    He still has his 335 but I don't think he'd ever part with it, even though he's getting on a bit, I'm pretty sure he said that he bought it new!
    He's not got a computer but he'll be over with us for lunch tomorrow. If you have any questions, I'd be happy to ask him and PM you.

Regards,
    Cheers Homey, thanks for getting back to me !

I had a nice '70 ES-335 a few years back and made a stupid decision that cost me a fine instrument in exchange for a not so good one. From your previous post, I inferred that your friend was going to make a similar mistake.

My point, clumsily expressed, was that his 335 is worth any number of the Peerless copies. Since he has had his guitar for a long time, he obviously knows this already and was joking about the Peerless "wiping the floor etcetera"

Please extend my congratulations to your mate for his good taste, I wish I had my 335 back !

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by gguge
    I have a Jsm100-vt (John Scofield signature model). Had a Gibson 335. Ibanez looks and plays better than 335 for a lot less. You could say it's a 'Scobanez'. Check it out.

how do the scofield's mid range G's sound
    i was really interested in getting one until i read about some people having problems with having the G's not sustain and just sort of disappear after a beat?

User Info Menu

http://www.larkstreetmusic.com/list/pict/PI35dlx.jpg

I've heard good things about Collings. I like their Jazz version of a thinline. Just a bit pricey

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SwingSwangSwung
    Does anyone know of anyone besides Gibson and Heritage that make 335 style guitars?
    GUILDS, GUILDS and more GUILDS!

Well, not anymore , but they can be had used and are readily available. Shop around for good prices though. Expect the usual Guild quality ...

Starfire IV:
    Guild Starfire IV - Westerly Guild Guitars

Stafire V:
    Guild Starfire V - Westerly Guild Guitars

Here's a sweet blonde in Ebay for a very good price (compared to the other "G" brand )

Beautiful Blonde '96 Guild Starfire 4 IV Westerly RI - eBay (item 120519605401 end time Jan-25-10 19:19:22 PST)
    Last edited by X-500; 01-19-2010 at 08:43 PM.

User Info Menu

During my recent search for a semi I played walls full of guitars. First I was leaning towards a Sheraton II having had an MIJ several years ago that was pretty sweet. I was ready to pay for a 335, but...AS 103 was the nicest sounding best constructed guitar that I picked up, and the neck felt great, so...that's the one I have.