The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Posts 76 to 100 of 167

User Info Menu

I just looked up your Hilton volume pedal......$300 for a volume pedal???? What in the world is so great about that thing?

I could be wrong but I think the board you asked Gabe about is the PedalTrain Mini. That's what I have in the opening post. It's perfect for just about 5 pedals and comes with a nice gig bag. I know the bigger PedalTrains have hard shell case options but I don't think the mini does.

Im im also thinking of buying an Empress ParaEQ some day. Anybody have one?
    Last edited by bluewaterpig; 03-22-2014 at 10:30 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Those hiltons are the rolls royce of volume pedals. I've used one with my pedal steel for ages. There's no pot, so they last forever.

K

User Info Menu

Yep, I have a Hilton for my lap steel. It's an awesome volume pedal.

User Info Menu

No affiliation, but these guys were across from us at NAMM: http://templeaudio.com/ and I liked the smaller model board.
    I only use a volume (Mission Engineering) and echo pedal, but I'm still looking for a nice overdrive just for a little push when I need it.

User Info Menu

Do they do anything other than control volume? I feel like I'm missing something. I love a good volume pedal...my Ernie Ball volume pedal has lasted for years through 100+ gigs. I'm in shock that a company can sell a volume pedal for $300.

Quote Originally Posted by nosoyninja
    Those hiltons are the rolls royce of volume pedals. I've used one with my pedal steel for ages. There's no pot, so they last forever.

K

User Info Menu

When I bought mine a few years ago, it didn't cost 300 USD. It has a buffered input and output, so it doesn't suck the tone away. Also since there's no pot, there's no change in EQ when lowering the volume. Also it's built like a tank and has a steady hinge that can be left at it's position even if you lift your foot and land back on it quickly. Mine's been stepped on for ages. All sorts of weird party beverages have landed on it… and it still sounds as hi fi as can be.

User Info Menu

Ideally if I'm going to use a pedalboard I'll use this pedalboard for everything. I recently decided to step up from a nano sized board to a PTJr. I got tired of changing out pedals on the tiny board every gig so I decided to put something together that would work for pretty much everything.

Show Your Pedalboards!-10006938_10203512337147043_402490643_n-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bluewaterpig
    I just looked up your Hilton volume pedal......$300 for a volume pedal???? What in the world is so great about that thing?
    What others have said.

When I was looking around for a volume pedal and wasn't sure what I needed, I asked friends who are guitarists and steel players. My original intension was to get something at $90 to $110, but after speaking with them, I came to the conclusion that:
    1- I really wanted true bypass
    2- I wanted the best possible quality and the most dependable pedal so I'd only spend for one only once, instead of buying and replacing or upgrading.

I am happy so far and I have not looked back on its price until it was mentioned again here.

User Info Menu

Are they true bypass or no? Someone else said they were buffered...

User Info Menu

One reason I seek advice with friends who know what they're talking about is that I don't know much about electronics and all the talk (ad-copy) about volume pedals (active, non-active, etc.) confused me. -- I am easily confused!

What I meant is that I was assured that the Hilton pedal would not suck tone and that changing the volume would not change the eq. Now, I always assumed that it is what true bypass means, but it looks that I should make an extra effort to learn the right vocabulary… :/

Can someone educate me a bit and explain the true meaning of "true bypass"? Thanks!

User Info Menu

There's a ton of info out there on the subject, but in a nutshell, true bypass is a type of circuit that certain pedals are equipped with. If a pedal is true bypass, it means that the pedal has absolutely no effect on your signal when the pedal is off. True bypass isn't a descriptive term...it doesn't mean that the pedal just does a good job of not affecting your tone. A pedal is either true bypass or buffered. Sometimes having buffered pedals can be advantageous depending on your pedal setup. There are tons of arguments and discussions on this subject out there. It'd be a good idea to do some research.

User Info Menu

Since my rig consists of a digital modeler and models of effects it looks a bit different. This is what I use on almost everything jazz except background gigs etc.

Show Your Pedalboards!-pedal-board-jpg

The signal chain is : Guit - Fulltone Fulldrive - Rat - Temolo - RingMod - Looper - Amp(Twin) - Leslie sim - Delay - Reverb - Volume Pedal.

I also have an expression on the amount of signal going to the Delay.

Jens

User Info Menu

Here's my "pedal board" if you can call it that. K&K definity pickup plus a single coil split into the LRBaggs and the sansamp and each off to a separate channel of my fishman loudbox artist (which powers both pedals with phantom power by the way).

The Hilton volume pedal is an insert on the sansamp channel only.

K

Show Your Pedalboards!-imageuploadedbytapatalk1395801434-204913-jpg

User Info Menu

Here's mine;

Show Your Pedalboards!-2-jpg

User Info Menu

got 2 pedaltrains one junior and a smaller one. 90% the small one gets the gig. I really really love playing straight into an amp, and for like 10 years i only had a danelectro delay, a tc electronic chorus and a dunlop wah with a boogie 22+.... then gearpage happened (and to be honest some gigs that needed effects)..

These days i 'm equally comfortable playing with 10 expensive pedals or a 185$ Boss Gt-1. Fun toys though..
    Show Your Pedalboards!-mpompir_zps99ef0f99-jpg
    Show Your Pedalboards!-board__1-jpgShow Your Pedalboards!-twoboards_3-jpgShow Your Pedalboards!-5c2c186a-6488-4965-bff3-d11868dced6f-521-0000008fd4e022fa-jpgShow Your Pedalboards!-35a176ed-6c78-4def-a107-b36b33fe4c45-107-000000022a46fc88_zps3909d930-jpgShow Your Pedalboards!-0472d25c-jpgShow Your Pedalboards!-8b36bb1a-b7ee-4545-a1e3-a0ec64eed186-961-0000014ce2cafd7f-jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images Show Your Pedalboards!-c561bc69-c947-4fa5-84ce-f2af27ef8d07-887-000000f2929c8495-jpg 

User Info Menu

Never noticed this thread before.

Here is mine. Not used much these days.

The first pedal I ever bought was the compressor - maybe 1978?

ChrisShow Your Pedalboards!-aac258a9-4e4f-4873-b27d-6c3c268e3f99-jpg

User Info Menu

Just moved to a bigger board.

User Info Menu

What's in the Altoids Small tin?

User Info Menu

Additional picks.

User Info Menu

Pedal train board with the effects in the following chain, placed in the effects loop of my Princeton Recording, which has excellent reverb and onboard circuits for compressor (close to Dynacomp) and overdrive (rarely used)
    • Morely Wah/Volume
    • MXR analogue chorus
    • MXR phase 95 (good range of phase types)
    • Boss Tremelo (I'd love the Supro circuit but not an option)
    • T-Rex Ducktail delay
    • MXR 6 band eq
    • JamMan looper

Show Your Pedalboards!-ray-pedalboard-jpg
    Why the large pedal train board? If I use acquire another amp without good reverb and compressor I want the extra space.
    Most of the time I play clean with a small touch of reverb.
    Most use comes from the Eq (note bass boost and treble cut - used to get a nice thunky sound out of my Ibanez 2619 Prestige) and looper, but the others have there place for different genres

User Info Menu

Hi,

Would welcome any suggestions / critique on my intended pedals for my starter pedal board.

Guitar: tele with a Lollar Charlie Christian in the neck
    Amp: DV Mark Little Jazz

Playing:
    - Beginner
    - Only play at home
    - Like to play Jazz-blues (not interested in full-on-blues/rock/metal etc)
    - Favorite players: Grant Green, Kenny Burrell, Jim Hall, Joe Pass

Currently I have:
    - EHX Nano 360 looper

Intending to buy in this order:
    - EHX Turnip Greens (for OD and playing around with different reverb in addition to amp reverb)
    - EHX Freeze (for practicing improvising over chords)
    - MXR Carbon Copy (to play around with delay)
    - Boss GE-7 (to play around with EQ)
    - TC Electronic Sentry (to take away hum from Charlie Christian pickup)

Many thanks, Simon

User Info Menu

I'd say you've got enough to keep you busy.

But get a Rat, just for fun.

BTW, if you're interested in a cheap analog delay, the Donner Yellow Fall is pretty great.

User Info Menu

Check out the TC Electronic Qintessence harmonizer pedal. Lots of fun.

User Info Menu

Or just plug into your amp and play? You know, like most jazz guitarists. Depends what kind of jazz you want to play, I guess. Any big influences?

User Info Menu

It seems you've already got the most useful practice device, which would be the looper. The only effect that you might consider essential is one that very well might be contained within your amplifier: reverb.