The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 66

User Info Menu

Looking for opinions good, bad or otherwise about the Gibson LeGrand model.

I'm looking for a "miked acoustic" sound and believe this will do that. I have a concern about the contour of the neck.

The seller says it's an "ES" profile, traditional rounded style. Wondering if that'll be a little big for me...

Any comments or suggestions for alternatives are greatly appreciated.

Gibson LeGrand - Your Thoughts?-gibson-legrand-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I like mine, great acoustic sound and very good electric sound as well.

Not sure if the stock pickup will get you your "miked acoustic" sound...

User Info Menu

I like mine. It sounds acoustic enough to me. I prefer the rounded ES neck, always have. I have long hands though.

User Info Menu

Yeah I like the neck on mine as well .. or at least it works for me

I wouldn't consider it a big neck ... but then I like big necks

User Info Menu

From the Gibson Le Grande's I've tried in the past, I thought the neck wasn't that big at all. Probably .840-.950 C shape or there abouts.
    Ask forum member Danny W., he has the most experience here with newer Gibson archtops

Quite a bit of difference between .840 and .950 IMHO. I'll reach out to Danny W as you suggest.

User Info Menu

The necks are not uniformly one size. Saying it has an “ES profile” really doesn’t mean anything to me. My 2003 LeGrand has a medium C shaped neck with a 1 9/16” (narrow) nut. Others may have a big, fat full C with a 1 3/4” nut or fairly thin D shape with a nut somewhere in between. Any combination is possible. That’s true of any “ES” guitar too.

As far as acoustic tone, mine has a very sweet, complex tone that excels for solo playing and it has decent volume too. It does not at all have the tone to be used as an acoustic with a horn section though. The BJB pickup requires my amp to be tweaked differently than with other archtops, but sounds really great once the amp is set right.

User Info Menu

Sorry I should have been more clear. .840 at 1st fret tapering to .950 at 12th fret depth C shape.

User Info Menu

The LeGrande I had the neck was identical to a modern L5 profile. Very comfy.

User Info Menu

Have you played played any gibsons that you liked as far as neck? I've had 2 legrand I would call them middle of the road as Gibson goes.

Thanks for the reply. There aren't any Gibson archtops available here. All I have are 24.75" solid bodies with 10s, so not at all a meaningful comparison. I have an entry-level archtop that I've quickly outgrown. I've begun to "crack the code" sufficiently to justify a decent instrument. I may just roll the dice if the LeGrand is still available. Unless it's an absolute club I could probably manage it. Otherwise thinking of a Triggs I've seen.

User Info Menu

Some of the guys here use a small mic that can be attached to the guitar to amplify the acoustic sound for live performances

The Le Grand is a good candidate for one of these

I don't recall the brands

User Info Menu

My 2012 LeGrand VSB measures between 0.865" and 0.875" under the first fret. My calipers aren't that accurate. A rounded C profile with very small shoulders.

I am not crazy about the fingers tailpiece. I wish Gibson had used something like the one from the Citation/ES5 or Byrdland. I can live with it though and I have.

The LeGrand is the closest thing to a Citation. I prefer the LeGrand as it does not have the volute and the large headstock. It is about half to 3/5th of the market price of the Citation on the used market but 100% of the playing and tonal value. Not a knock on the Citation as it is a great guitar and I would love to have one at a decent price. I am happy with the LeGrand and do not pine for the Citation. I don't feel that I am missing anything. If Gibson could make a Citation with a Super 400 headstock and inlays, I'd call that perfect. I don't like the woolly fluffy cloud inlays. Kinda fey.

That's my opinion and I am sticking to it.

User Info Menu

I love my two LeGrands. The 1998 has a C shaped neck, the 2014 more of a D shape similar to my 2003 L5. Both are comfortable to play, they are light and feel small. They quite different from each other and i replaced the BJB's on both with KA12poles to be able to adjust the polepieces. I also installed a tone control on each.

Both sound great in live situations when played through the amp. I never tried miking it without the use of the pickup/amp at the same time. When i record i get a great sound on both guitars by miking the amp with a ribbon mic and aiming a condenser direct to the top. Mixing the two signals still sounds acoustic and allows me to go without equalization on the board. Listening to the condenser channel alone feels a bit on the thin side, but i record with a small diaphragm schoeps, the sound would certainly be different/larger with a large diaphragm condenser.

Alternatives: maybe a Guild Artist Award??? I recently played one which i liked a lot and i will get it next saturday - will be able to tell more then.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    My 2012 LeGrand VSB measures between 0.865" and 0.875" under the first fret. My calipers aren't that accurate. A rounded C profile with very small shoulders.

I am not crazy about the fingers tailpiece.
    That sounds manageable for me. I agree about the fingers tailpiece. Must be some logic behind it, although it escapes me.

User Info Menu

The fingers tailpiece with the fine tuners actually works. The main tuners seem kind of crude on most guitars, now that we have such accurate tuners to clip on. I like the Imperial tuners most of all. Easier on the hands and easier to dial in.

The downside to the fingers tailpiece is when you change strings. That's kind of a pain.

User Info Menu

i never bothered with a le grand because i play like le crap

but as far as the finger tailpiece goes- would the capo trick work, like it does when restringing a bigsby? attach the string at the bottom, pull it taut and clip it down. the capo acts as your "third hand", holding the string in place against the neck so you can work it around the tuner's post without it slipping off the other end.

User Info Menu

For me restringing the LeGrand presents no downside because of the finger tailpiece. I roll/fold a small cloth and move it under the fingers to stabilize them. Once the strings are mounted i pull it out.

Gibson LeGrand - Your Thoughts?-img_0273-jpg

User Info Menu

The capo trick just might work

I don't find the Le Grand tailpiece to be any more annoying than any other archtop tailpiece ... they're all rather annoying IMHO

User Info Menu

Gibson LeGrand - Your Thoughts?-100_0536_copy-jpgGibson LeGrand - Your Thoughts?-100_0533_copy-jpg

I got this one from the famous RhoadsScholar in a complicated trade, as our most of ours over the years. This was NOS from 2001. There was a batch of two LeGrands and a Citation at a Detroit music store. He got the LeGrand last year I believe and relayed it to me.

The finish really is a natural but Gibson calls it Chablis. Heritage calls it rose natural. The LeGrand, as most know, is the "heritage" of the Gibson Johnny Smith. It's 3" deep, 17" across roughly, and light. The nut is 1 11/18" and the scale length is 25.5".

I measured it against my L-5 Premier or Acoustic (whatever it is) from around the same time period of creation. The L-5 is about 1/2" longer.

The bracing is an unequivocal cross type. It is the same as Heritage does on its cross bracing. The LeGrand is tapped tuned. The top is on the thin side, but I've seen thinner. The neck is a solid medium C.

This came with a TOM/bridge base set and a ebony saddle/base set.

I have played it minimally since I got it last night. So far, it's an excellent acoustic instrument that's pretty loud. I haven't plugged it in yet.

This on has a James Hutchins signature on the label. I am aware that some people are not impressed by him or his signature. Those of us who lived at Kalamazoo at the time had respect for him as a decent and gifted luthier. It is likely true that he only supervised the build of this instrument and tuned the body. That's still something.

Gibson Guitar's James "Hutch" Hutchins Leaves Behind a Legacy All His Own

Here are more pics.

Gibson LeGrand - Your Thoughts?-100_0532-jpgGibson LeGrand - Your Thoughts?-100_0527-jpgGibson LeGrand - Your Thoughts?-100_0525-jpgGibson LeGrand - Your Thoughts?-100_0519-jpgGibson LeGrand - Your Thoughts?-100_0523-jpgGibson LeGrand - Your Thoughts?-100_0524-jpg

User Info Menu

LeGrand next to L-5. The quality is poor but you can appreciate the size difference and the f holes. Rhoads holding the guitar with a smile.

Gibson LeGrand - Your Thoughts?-legrand1_copy-jpgGibson LeGrand - Your Thoughts?-100_0538_copy-jpg

User Info Menu

I own a Hutch signed Byrdland and Citation, They’re the best Gibsons I own. The wood on yours has that “Hutch cut” look I really like

User Info Menu

What did Bob get in the exchange ? That was supposed to be his retirement guitar. Beautiful LeGrande ! Congrats Mark.

I hope my good buddy Bob is happy.

User Info Menu

Marty it is wonderful and he did not have the guitar long really. I am looking for one of those myself really I did see one on ebay for not a bad price but you got a stunner for sure.

User Info Menu

congratulations, LeGrands are in a league of their own .......