The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 66

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    What did Bob get in the exchange ? That was supposed to be his retirement guitar. Beautiful LeGrande ! Congrats Mark.

I hope my good buddy Bob is happy.
    Money and another guitar. That's how we roll. Sometimes the guitars go in one direction and sometimes the other. Amps too.

Bob had suggested years ago that we have a "guitar library" so we can check them in and out. Or maybe a guitar co-op.

There's a fair chance the guitar will end up back with him.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Wow, what a gorgeous Le Grand! Play it in good health.

User Info Menu

Marty,
    Gorgeous guitar in every way. The Legrand is my favorite Gibson Archtop, do enjoy.

User Info Menu

Here's what I sold to get the money for the Legrand. It's also a Hutch creation. There are similarities in the top and back.

Gibson LeGrand - Your Thoughts?-6_zpsteedkquh_37523560051_o-jpgGibson LeGrand - Your Thoughts?-20161212_164910_zpsyxtukjxa_37523556401_o-jpgGibson LeGrand - Your Thoughts?-8_zpsr6ilr8uz_37492324112_o-jpgGibson LeGrand - Your Thoughts?-7_zpsn7jwyrq1_37492324412_o-jpg

User Info Menu

Your Le Grande is indeed grand. The woods are exquisite. Congratulations, and play it in good health!

User Info Menu

Congrats, that is a real beauty! I have an L5 Custom from 2001 that looks exactly like your L5P (except blond). Can you describe any differences in sound and playability between the LeGrand and your L5? Have not yet had a chance to try out a LeGrand. Maybe that's a good thing...

Thanks,

Len

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Len R
    Congrats, that is a real beauty! I have an L5 Custom from 2001 that looks exactly like your L5P (except blond). Can you describe any differences in sound and playability between the LeGrand and your L5? Have not yet had a chance to try out a LeGrand. Maybe that's a good thing...

Thanks,

Len
    Too soon to comment.

One has LaBella 15s and the other Chromes 12s.

I'll need a few months.

User Info Menu

I am on the look out for one of these but I get mix results on the width of the lower bout. It I believe is suppose to be 17 inches, however I have seen descriptions by some that have it at 16 3/4. So would some of you who might have one give the there answer. Remember that a correct measurement is worth more than 1000 guess so even go so far as to break out a yardstick or tape measure. I would appreciate it muchly.

FInally having researched treads is seems to be a toss up on if a Johnny Smith Gibson is a better guitar than a Legrand. I am looking here for nice acoustic sound that is lively although does not need to be a power monster that will cut through a 12 piece band. Most Johnny Smith I have played ( many, many) meet this definition although I have played a few of them that were absolute dogs, heavy and nothing. I have played a few Legrands but it has been years so don't remember and have not played more than 1 or 2.

My bias is that the Legrands have better wood and were under better quality control than Smith's at least for the entire time GIbson made the two models, Good Johnny SMith with flame and in nice condition seem to be running more..............I don't pay these dollars........at least for now.

User Info Menu

QAman’s advice will be what you might want to hear.
    I have a special place in my heart for a Johnny Smith though. But you might find a LeGrand in better shape for less.
    Good Luck Mark.
    JD

User Info Menu

I bought a brand new 2016 LeGrand. Worst sounding guitar I ever owned. The top was carved thin as a potato chip. Thin and bright sounding with no bottom end. Played like butter though. I blame the horrible top carve. I also bought a 2014 L5P with the same BJB pu and a thick top and it was fabulous. IMO extra caution is required buying a LeGrand due to tops being carved too thin. If you can find one with a top carved more like a L5 IMO it will be a great guitar. Thin top thin sound.

User Info Menu

Interesting in that generally a thinner top produces better lows. But I talking from individual makers carving tops with a micrometer all around.

User Info Menu

I am no LeGrand expert. I have only owned 1. I had a 1979 JS and it sounded great but didn’t care for the neck profile.

User Info Menu

I bought a LeGrand in '95 and another in '97. Unlike Vinny's, both were outstanding instruments with what I'd consider normal thickness tops. At the time I owned several Smiths, but sold them after getting the LeGrands. One of them in particular, from '68, was quite exceptional--the guy who bought it from me, a serious collector, said he'd been searching for a JS like that for years. Part of the reason I sold was that I was moving away from 25" x 1.75" fretboards, but I also thought the woods and workmanship on the LeGrands were superior.

That being said, I would not have considered any of those guitars suitable for unamplified playing except in a very quiet room with very quiet players.

At the time I sold the LeGrands I measured them at 16.5" width. It was four years ago and I might be misremembering, but I do remember being surprised at how small they were.

Danny W.
    Last edited by Danny W.; 05-30-2020 at 09:20 AM.

User Info Menu

Hey Mark. Heck, I always thought that the LeGrand was the name of the Johnny Smith after Johnny broke the association with Gibson. I had no idea it was so different.

User Info Menu

I currently own both the Legrand and the Johnny smith. Ill measure the lower bout for you tomorrow. I have owned other examples of both these guitars. IMO they really are different guitars depends on what you play as to which one is better. Johnny smiths are a better electric guitar a bit more sustain in the high register. The necks are very different. Single note lines I would choose the Johnny smith. I’ve never played a bad playing Johnny smith. They all sound pretty great plugged in but vary quite a lot acoustically. The legrand is more of an Acoustic guitar. Workmanship is up there with any private Luther. My legrand is very loud and woody with a deep base sound. I have heard examples that sounded bright and thin to me, mine isn’t at all like that. I would say for cord melody this is the guitar even Johnny would play. They are both great guitars and both capable of making anyone happy in all departments. These are in my opinion where their strengths lie. Hope that helps.
    Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark
    I am on the look out for one of these but I get mix results on the width of the lower bout. It I believe is suppose to be 17 inches, however I have seen descriptions by some that have it at 16 3/4. So would some of you who might have one give the there answer. Remember that a correct measurement is worth more than 1000 guess so even go so far as to break out a yardstick or tape measure. I would appreciate it muchly.

FInally having researched treads is seems to be a toss up on if a Johnny Smith Gibson is a better guitar than a Legrand. I am looking here for nice acoustic sound that is lively although does not need to be a power monster that will cut through a 12 piece band. Most Johnny Smith I have played ( many, many) meet this definition although I have played a few of them that were absolute dogs, heavy and nothing. I have played a few Legrands but it has been years so don't remember and have not played more than 1 or 2.

My bias is that the Legrands have better wood and were under better quality control than Smith's at least for the entire time GIbson made the two models, Good Johnny SMith with flame and in nice condition seem to be running more..............I don't pay these dollars........at least for now.

User Info Menu

My Legrand is 17" at the lower bout. The Johnny Smith lower bout is shorter length wise than Legrand. Hope that helps!

User Info Menu

Oh yes that helps thank you. What year is yours.

User Info Menu

42.8 cm on mine so that is 16-7/8” to you

Gibson LeGrand - Your Thoughts?-e0b8fb2f-5057-43a8-8689-5402d29cb251-jpg

User Info Menu

I have been prowling for a LeGrand with a thicker top. I think the ones made in the late 90’s are the ones to seek. I had a couple Golden Eagles with potato chip tops that sounded thin also. I think the reason I love modern L5’s so much is there thicker tops. Personal taste. I like a thicker woody tone over a bright acoustic tone. L5’s are pretty consistent in tone. I think LeGrands vary more. I know QAman has a great one as does fws6. I am still searching. I will say the ’16 I had was very comfortable and had a fantastic neck.

User Info Menu

Let's hear it for the full electric sound of a well-made archtop! If I wanted acoustic sound, I'd use a nice microphone and stand.

User Info Menu

Mark - as you know I have 2 Legrand’s and both are outstanding guitars. Body width on my mid 90’s Hutch period is 16-3/4, and on my 2015 16-7/8. Both body depths range from 2.950 to 2.900 and scale lengths are 25.312.

As for thickness of top , both measure .187 at bass side F hole - at north east corner viewing guitar from front . Actually , as compared to thickness on my outstanding Wes, the Legrand is actually .030 thicker when measured in same area.

The interior neck block is solid up to the portion of fingerboard (cantilevered) relief cut. The Gibson Johnny Smith has a longer solid neck extension and interior support block.

As for comfort , Legrand much more comfortable than 3.350 body depth of Wes.

As for sound , the Wes is a bit more airy and the Legrand’s are slightly more focused.

My 90’s Hutch period burst is the finest sounding Gibson Archtop I have ever played. It sounds like a D’Angelico in the mid range .......and the 2015 is close.

What I like about my Legrand’s - is the notes just roll off the fingerboard with a very smooth sounding balance . Both are very responsive and effortless to play. You can play these with a light touch, unlike other Archtop’s which require some gymnastics to play.

If I had to pick one post 60’s Gibson Archtop guitar to own and keep it would be my Hutch Legrand. It offers the best unplugged - and plugged in experience....fit and finish exemplary - every bit as good as a Citation.

Of course, these are my experiences with this model and others my have different opinions.

User Info Menu

I am really taken by the fact that the width of the bouts vary that much on a factory guitar. Now I completely understand this on individual builders they can vary quite a bit in fact. That was the one thing about GIbsons. You get an L5 and bingo it is the exact dimension on everyone or at least not discernable without a serious machinist ruler. I am going assume these Legrands may not be cookie cut like the general production archtops? I have no idea but I sure don't see how they can vary up to a 1/2 inch without something being reworked.
    Individual makers even using molds of same a come up varying at times. Great example are D'angelicos that can be 19, 18, 17, 17.5, 16.5, and all over the place.
    My other thought is to skip the LEgrand and just go to an L5C. THat too would be a good option I just don't need one of the big hitters from the 50s that seem to draw the highest prices. Anyone have one and wants to sell look me up. An L5 is and L5 is an L5.............

User Info Menu

Mark,
    You’ve been contemplating an L5 / Legrand purchase for quite some time - and I actually offered you my L5 before Joe was interested. I think it’s best to go play these guitars and see what moves you.

Don’t get so caught up in fractional variations in dimensions - it’s about the feel and sound and how it inspires you. Your always welcome to take a trip to NY and play my Gibsons if you like.

But once you play the Trenier’s - you wouldn’t be looking at a Gibson.

User Info Menu

I think Steve is right. When Gibson gets it right nobody can touch them. My 2014 L5P with BJB was a absolutely fantastic guitar. I regret selling it but had 4 L5’s and was feeling like a big hoarder pig. I sold it to a great forum member though and made a lifelong friend.Gibson LeGrand - Your Thoughts?-fd276ea7-c3ed-488a-a3f4-c248414c40c6-jpgGibson LeGrand - Your Thoughts?-a531d9f9-279d-41da-a567-aee66184d974-jpgGibson LeGrand - Your Thoughts?-1f8bbfd3-0c08-4b96-bf5f-ff0ca622da98-jpgGibson LeGrand - Your Thoughts?-6bb2ed84-19b6-4c61-8cf7-d5b7fb8af72d-jpg

User Info Menu

Deacon Mark,

I purchased my Culberson signed Legrand in April '18. The serial number is 10108001 and I fondly imagine it could be the last LeGrand out of the Gibson Custom Shop prior to the demise of the company as we knew it. As shown in the attached photo it is a true whisker shy of 17" - perhaps 16 -15/16 wide. It shines both as an acoustic and amplified instrument! I love it!

You noted that the sizes have varied up to 1/2". I've not seen such a variance.

Like QAMan I've owned several nice Gibson archtops but settled on the LeGrand as my keeper.

Albert
    Attached Images Attached Images Gibson LeGrand - Your Thoughts?-img_1240-jpg Gibson LeGrand - Your Thoughts?-img_1239-jpg Gibson LeGrand - Your Thoughts?-img_1238-jpg