The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 64 of 64

User Info Menu

Great news. I kept my comments to a minimum - all the while thinking: " why is no one advocating the mini hum bucker neck pickup?"
    Maybe I missed it? but that would be easy in these 4!! threads,
    Anyway, that is the way I would go. You did it!! And it's all mutable.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by morroben
    They're mini-humbuckers...Seymour Duncan if I remember correctly.
    I have a buddy with this guitar. He's one of those guys that seems to be in every local band you go to see. He has a blues band, country band, modern rock cover band, even a gypsy jazz group...and while he has several guitars, that Hot Rod Tele seems to get most of his time. Covers a lot of sounds. Maybe not the acoustic gypsy stuff.
    Cool guitar!
    Heresy! LEO FENDER GOT IT RIGHT FIRST TIME*

*chapter 3, verse 21, the book of Tele

I have a guitar that can do all of those gigs. It's called a stock S/S Fender Telecaster.

If you are having trouble getting a jazz sound out of single coil pickups, it's not the fault of the guitar.... And don't get me started on people who 'roll off' the tone control ... oooh it makes me MAD! You need treble to be heard....

Seriously, Tele's sound great with any pickups. I use a fairly vanilla ones (two USA Deluxes, so the pickups are a little fatter than stock) and the neck pickup is great for jazz.

But I would like a H/S or perhaps P90/S Tele, perhaps a Danocaster would be nice. But I tried a Cabronita and that was great too.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Heresy! LEO FENDER GOT IT RIGHT FIRST TIME*
    Esquires are cool!

Is there something called an eSquier yet?

User Info Menu

Esquires are cool!

I'm not sure even I would claim to get a jazz tone out of an Esquire ...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    I'm not sure even I would claim to get a jazz tone out of an Esquire ...
    So Leo got it right the 2nd time.

User Info Menu

I don't know how to advise anybody about family matters, but I'll offer this.

I just bought a Comins GCS-1 which is the same guitar Jack Wilkins (Tony Bennett) gigs with. $1499 new. Just prior to that I was playing regular jazz gigs with the cheapest Yamaha Strat copy and getting compliments on my tone. I have a recording of a famous player, playing that instrument though a Crate practice amp ($99 new) and sounding great. He complimented the playability of the Yamaha. I think he liked the tone of his $16,000 archtop better. Not a joke.

Leo designed the Tele to be cheap to make. There is a price point where it's simply hard for me to believe you're getting much for your money over a moderately priced instrument.

My point is that $2000 for a guitar, especially a Tele, is probably unnecessarily expensive.

One other point -- I just brought my new expensive-for-me Comins to a gig. There's a big band book. Before, I'd put my Yamaha cheapie face down on my lap and use it as a table while pulling and filing charts. With the Comins, the back is so beautiful that I'm afraid to scuff it, so I'm fumbling with the book. During the breaks, I'm afraid it will be stolen or knocked over. I was more relaxed with the cheaper instrument. (The Comins does sound better, although the Yamaha had equal or better playability).

But, if the idea is to create a family heirloom, I don't have anything to offer about that.

User Info Menu

So Leo got it right the 2nd time.
    Silence, heretic. 'And lo, he shall poison your ears with his words of reason. Heed him not.'

User Info Menu

Unless you hate jazz of course, in which case you may conclude Leo got it right first time...

User Info Menu

Seriously Christian,

You‘re doing Gypsy Jazz gigs with your Tele?

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

User Info Menu

No they won’t let me. But I would.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by docsteve
    Seriously Christian,

You‘re doing Gypsy Jazz gigs with your Tele?

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
    I don’t play only GJ tho

User Info Menu

Congrats! I also found one locally on Craigslist last week and went to play it on a whim (the Road Worn was at the tech's getting a bone nut). I fell in love and brought it home. The '52 Hot Rod is exceptional! Everything I wanted in a Tele... the Road Worn is now for sale ;-)

I think you made the best possible decision

[QUOTE

=Razorbackjazz;865121]

Just bought this a couple days ago!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

User Info Menu

Esquires are cool!

Don't think so, but I bet there is an app called iSquire.

User Info Menu

Here's the best kept secret: G&L Tribute ASAT. Phenomenal quality for such a ridiculously low price.

I shopped for a used Tele for a painfully long time, as I didn't want to spend $1000+ on an American Tele and I didn't want to take my chance on a new Mexican. I've had too many fitment issues with every Mexican Fender that I've encountered. So I kept hitting the local GC stores looking for a decent American or Mexican Tele on the used rack. After a period of almost a year, I got frustrated and gave up.

As a lark, I took a chance on an Olympic White G&L Tribute ASAT when it was on the MF SDOD for $279. Not kidding. I got a great guitar for peanuts. I was so happy with it that I also bought one in Natural Ash for $300. And I followed that with a G&L Tribute Legacy (strat) in Olympic White at the same price. After owning them for over a year I've done nothing to upgrade these guitars other than a nut replacement.

PSA: GL Tribute ASAT, Ash, $299.99 at MF

Honestly speaking, I think the Indo G&L are better than the Mexican Fenders and many American Fenders that I've played. Right now I'm in the process of returning a $1000 American Special Strat because the $300 Indo G&L is a better instrument.

We're fortunate to live in a time where you don't have to pay huge money for a decent giggable guitar. You only really need to buy a Fender if the label on the headstock is important to you.