The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 32

User Info Menu

hi guys

Need some help with a gig bag for my byrdland.

I know some of you can't imagine why you would put an expensive guitar in a gig bag, but its necessary for me, and also i am gentle with my stuff.

I have also done many searches and many people have recommended a custom case, but I can't afford a custom one, and am looking for something cheaper.

Not really interested in -'this should fit'- suggestions. I'd really like to hear from people who own these instruments and have used something other than a hard case.

Thanks guys

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Mono Case M80 for Acoustic / Dreadnought

I have no idea if it “should” fit, just that it does.

PM for a pic if it helps

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fartattack
    Not really interested in -'this should fit'- suggestions. I'd really like to hear from people who own these instruments and have used something other than a hard case.
    Thanks guys
    "This should fit" might be the only suggestions you get. It's kind of a rare question.

User Info Menu

Yes it is!

And since it's so rare I posted it on the jazz guitar BB.

Thanks

User Info Menu

You're not talking about some rare 18" git with a 4" wide body, ANY case that will fit a 17" 3" git will fit a Byrdland with room to spare since the Byrd is thinner. That is unless you have a three octave neck :-)

To that end if you live in the CONUS (why folks don't put their location in their profile mystifies me) I have a selection of gig bags, and a few that fit my 17" Archtop acoustic and I'll send you one.

User Info Menu

Tim,

If you go the gigbag route just note that a Byrdland will flop around in anything designed for a 17” lower bout deep archtop or acoustic body.

The incidental good fit in the Mono Dreadnought bag comes from total girth being just right, and from the overall length being also a good match due to the Byrdland’s combination of the short neck but extended body well below the bridge compared to a Dread’.

Good luck with whatever route works for you.

User Info Menu

I should probably clarify a little.

I understand that many bags will work in the way that two garbage bags taped together will cover the instrument. What I was looking for is a case that is like something that was roughly designed for an instrument of this size.

I'm not looking for "room to spare".

Thanks for your note again Chris. Pics looked awesome. Will probably go that route unless something pops up locally for cheap. Thanks!

User Info Menu

not exactly what you're asking, but i do have a mono case for my parlor-ish acoustic and it offers about as much protection as you could reasonably expect from a bag. and it certainly isn't a gig bag, but my byrdland fits well in a hiscox jumbo case (i think). a little lighter than the stock hardcase, you can add a strap to it and it offers way more protection than the stock hardcase. slightly more mobile, too.

User Info Menu

Feet,

Could you post a pic or two showing the fit in the Hiscox? How much leftover area is there above the headstock, and how much excess depth (if any) does there seem to be? Pics could possibly illustrate this.

User Info Menu

photographic challenge accepted!

byrdland headstock in hiscox by the photographic minority, on Flickr

byrdland in headstock by the photographic minority, on Flickr

note how far the body sinks into the case. hiscox make pillows for this. i use a towel.

and here is how it looks in the stock epiphone case:

byrdland headstock in epiphone case by the photographic minority, on Flickr

byrdland in epiphone case by the photographic minority, on Flickr

note the fascinating internal structure of the case to take up the extra space:

epiphone case internal structure by the photographic minority, on Flickr

and for control purposes, here is how the case looks with normal, full sized guitar:

g400 headstock in hiscox by the photographic minority, on Flickr

g400 in hiscox case by the photographic minority, on Flickr

the g400 is snug as a bug in there. tighter, more secure fit. note that i can also fit my slope shouldered dread and a 29" scale baritone acoustic in there, too. such a bizarre, magical case that can accommodate such different guitars.

User Info Menu

Many thanks Feet.

User Info Menu

I use a Pro Bag which was made to fit my Super 400 and also works well with my Gibson JS.

probagwebstartscom

I am sure they will customize to suit any guitar size.

cheers

Mike

User Info Menu

The 17" Ribbecke Halfling that I bought came in a Reunion Blues Continental Midnight Dreadnaught gigbag. The Halfling has about a 3" rim. RB has replaced it with the Voyager model which is much the same thing except for the colour and accessory pocket. It is a $189.95 from most retailers.

I'd recommend the Hiscox Pro 2 Jumbo case though. You could get that from Musician's Friend at a 15% discount now with 8% points to offset future purchases like strings from MF. That brings the Hiscox Case down to about $200 each. A towel or a yoga or craft shop EVA rubber mat covered with fabric and cut to fit could be used to take up the depth. The Hiscox Pro 2 does not weigh much more than a gigbag with adequate padding. But it is a hard case and so may not feel that comfortable slung against your person.

I do not like the Mono M80. YMMV.

User Info Menu

The mono case doesn't fit a L5, could'nt close the bag. Ended up using a Ritter RGP8 Super Jumbo bag for local transportation when there is no significant risk involved.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    I do not like the Mono M80. YMMV.
    I sold my Mono and bought one of these. Been over a year now, really digging it.

Series: Pro-Go Guitar - Gator Cases

User Info Menu

Thanks for the feedback guys...

Unfortunately I really like keeping cable, the music im going to play, backup crap in the pocket in the front of the case. I'm often walking with my gear for several blocks and I appreciate having stuff on my back. So this kinda rules out hard cases for me.

I use the reunion blues cases my other guitars, but haven't tried the jumbo. I'm concerned about the 'room to spare' in that size of a case.

And I hope I'm not letting any thing out of the bag but I've been in contact with probag and in our last email he told me they 'had suspended operations indefinitely'. So as far as the guy answering the emails and me know, that company is no longer making cases. I sent them a tracing and all the specs of the instrument, and it just ended up never happening.

Thanks again

User Info Menu

Gator ProGo Ultimate Gig Bag - Acoustic Guitar | Sweetwater

Gobs of room and pockets for music, cables, thingies, etc. Adjustable neck support and butt pad.

User Info Menu

@woodysound - you know I had one of these bags for a few years and it just kinda fell apart. the zipper was fine but a bunch of the seams just pulled apart. I was super poor at the time and ended up bungy-ing it together around the neck.

The Gator cases, to me, were a good example of 'you get what you pay for'. I'm sure they've improved them since then, but they really couldn;t get much worse.......

User Info Menu

liked your post because of your username

User Info Menu

@joe2758

you know I made this profile so long ago when i thought I never would post on here! oops.....

User Info Menu

or maybe you didn't think you'd survive the fart attack but then you had a triple buttpass surgery

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fartattack
    @woodysound - you know I had one of these bags for a few years and it just kinda fell apart. the zipper was fine but a bunch of the seams just pulled apart. I was super poor at the time and ended up bungy-ing it together around the neck.

The Gator cases, to me, were a good example of 'you get what you pay for'. I'm sure they've improved them since then, but they really couldn;t get much worse.......
    Gator has/has had a lot of gig bag models. Are you sure you had a ProGo? I think they just came out with these around 2014, but ICBW. Now that I think about it, I've actually had mine (two cases) for closer to three years, and they've held up beautifully.

User Info Menu

hi guys

i ended up emailing again with probag and sent them a tracing and they just sent me the case this week. it fits my byrd very well, and i'm very happy with it. it really is a high quality bag at a much lower than the competitors price. give them a ring!!!

User Info Menu

Great to hear, Farty! I just had to post that...

Would you mind showing off a photo or two? May be helpful to others looking for some such.

User Info Menu

Yes, here we are -

First photo - just showing the guitar fits in the bag (duh)

Second photo - showing the round pocket option. I don't really care for the saddle bag type large front pockets on most gig bags, so I went with this one. It's small - I usually travel with the Quilter MicroBlock 45 in my guitar case as I play old amps and they break sometimes. I don't think that will be possible in this case. It's ok, it will be enough to hold a cable and some strings and the music I will be playing.

Third photo - the back and handles. This is the area where I was surprised the most. Everything here looks very well put together and all the handles appear to be very well stitched, and I hope they'll hold up for many years.

Fourth photo - Only gripe (besides the few tiny ones above) - There's a little extra fabric around the top of the body/neck area. Not sure why I feel not great about it. I guess its better to have too much fabric than too little?

Overall - Very well built case. Also I've seen some other makers big $$ cases and think you should save some money and buy a bag from probag. This was a custom build, so it took some time, but I'm pleased with the communication and of course the quality! Check them out!

BYRDLAND padded case/gig bag-img_2130-jpgBYRDLAND padded case/gig bag-img_2129-jpgBYRDLAND padded case/gig bag-img_2131-jpgBYRDLAND padded case/gig bag-img_2132-jpg