The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 32 of 32

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fartattack
    @woodysound - you know I had one of these bags for a few years and it just kinda fell apart. the zipper was fine but a bunch of the seams just pulled apart. I was super poor at the time and ended up bungy-ing it together around the neck.

The Gator cases, to me, were a good example of 'you get what you pay for'. I'm sure they've improved them since then, but they really couldn;t get much worse.......
    Everything Gator I ever bought fell apart, and pretty quick too. The last one was a Dj cart I bought to transport my little amp. The handle broke on a 2nd use, got me starnded on a gig! Needless to say I stay away from Gator and never recommend them.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Fabulous Probag! Looks great. I often wonder why someone did not put one and one together and make a strong fitting clamshell ABS hard case with no padding that a gigbag like this can slip into when required for checking into the hold. Get to your destination, remove gigbag with guitar in it from the clamshell case, sling over your shoulder, go to your gig, leave the clamshell in your hotel room.

Instead, we have to make a choice: heavy as lardass glassfibre case or padded gigbag.

I like my Hiscox and Hoffee but they get old fast on the subway and around town.

Fartattack, is a tracing of the outline of the guitar all that is required? Is there a neck block for the neck and the angled headstock? Not sure if I missed it in your photos. Probably requires a flat-sided pencil.

Edit: there is a neck block. I missed it.

User Info Menu

Yes, I sent a tracing and wrote the other pertinent info on the paper I used to trace it onto. The depth of the Byrdland is in between a 335 and a 175 (forgot the exact depth) and wrote that on thrrr.

Also I would assume they have templates for many common instruments.

And I hear you about the hard case thing. I just can’t do them. I carry so much misc sh!t with me that a soft case (not to mention a dolly for my amp) is just a necessity.

Again, for the money, it’s a great buy.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fartattack
    Yes, here we are -

First photo - just showing the guitar fits in the bag (duh)

Second photo - showing the round pocket option. I don't really care for the saddle bag type large front pockets on most gig bags, so I went with this one.
    Good move. I had a saddle bag pocket with two straps on a bag and it was a real pita to deal with. Messing around with buckles every time, takes two hands, and little things would slip out of the opening.

User Info Menu

FWIW, you can buy a strap system that lets you carry a guitar in a hard case like the soft case. Probably not as comfortable, but if you already have, and need, a hard case, it's a lot cheaper than the bag. My Eastman case has rings attached, and a couple of straps clip on easily and let me carry it on my back. I feel a lot better with that than with a bag, and the carrying comfort isn't that different. There are a number of options available, if one is open to investigation.

User Info Menu

Hey - thanks for starting this post. Not a gigging musician but lugging around the original case for my Byrdland is a bit of a pain so did a search and found this thread.

Curious if you would still recommend the Probag?

User Info Menu

I'm years late on this...but looking to get a hard case for my byrdland. How's the neck fit in your hiscox? Would you risk an airplane with it?