The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 30

User Info Menu

I have a EX-SS 2015 made in Korea. Great guitar, great build. Lots of bang for the buck!

I was looking at the same model but with a stopbar. The serial number is S160063543. No sticker on where it was made.

Anybody can help?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat
    I have a EX-SS 2015 made in Korea. Great guitar, great build. Lots of bang for the buck!

I was looking at the same model but with a stopbar. The serial number is S160063543. No sticker on where it was made.

Anybody can help?
    S stands for the Samick factory in Eumsong, South Korea.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LtKojak
    S stands for the Samick factory in Eumsong, South Korea.
    Thanks That makes sense.
    I saw some of guitars are made in Indonesia. Also I saw someone said S1 means made in Indonesia.

User Info Menu

someone said S1 means made in Indonesia.
    The ones I know are simply marked "I".

User Info Menu

Question What year is the guitar?

User Info Menu

MY Modern D'Angelicos that have either S or KS prefix say Incheon on the inner label. D'Angelico is tight lipped as to exactly where they are made.

User Info Menu

Thanks My EX-SS says US14080111.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GNAPPI
    MY Modern D'Angelicos that have either S or KS prefix say Incheon on the inner label. D'Angelico is tight lipped as to exactly where they are made.
    Well, as Samick has more than one factory in both Korea and Indonesia, it's more than plausible that they've either changed their serialization codes or, due to optimization of their production workflows in the last few years (several big strikes of their workforce in their factories come to mind), they changed establishments for the production of their different products due to different contractings.

Man, it's difficult to keep up with the mass-production schemes of nowadays, isn't it?

User Info Menu

Man you got that right.
    I was into Samick guitars with the Greg Bennett line of guitars. But my D'Angelico EX-SS blows those away. Although they were at a lower price point. The Korean quality not quite Japanese? But a lot of bang for the buck.
    Bottomline my EX-SS had a made in Korea sticker. I'm good with that. But not knowing if Korea or Indonesia bothers me.
    Man, it's difficult to keep up with the mass-production schemes of nowadays, isn't it?

User Info Menu

not knowing if Korea or Indonesia bothers me.
    Why is that?

Inquiring minds would like to know.

User Info Menu

The days of buying guitars, seeing and holding them in person are long going. So what's the consumer going to do to make a decision on what to purchase dropping $1000-$3000? Research....never read so much in my life. But as much I try to maintain a logical approach, there is an inherent bias on various countries of origin and build quality. Bottomline I am really getting tired of buying guitars and turning around selling them. Mostly after many years of doing this and dealing with shipping hassles, but not losing a guitar yet, time might be running out. I don't sell or buy on Ebay anymore after 12 years. I do Reverb with mixed results. But this forum is or has become my prefered choice. Regardless I am cutting back and sticking with what I have. Occasionally something comes along to peak my interest and I buy it.

User Info Menu

Regarding buying and selling, I must have lowered my standards or expectations because if it plays and feels right either my super reverb, Polytone or twin can squeeze enough palatable tone to suit me. The down side is that I don"t sell anything... EVER... I get separation anxiety just thinking of selling :-)

User Info Menu

Thanks My EX-SS says US14080111.
    Mine has serial number starts with US14...
    was mine made in south korea (samick) too?
    reading that samick was moved to Indonesia in 2006 bothers me..

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nadtorus
    Mine has serial number starts with US14...
    was mine made in south korea (samick) too?
    reading that samick was moved to Indonesia in 2006 bothers me..
    My EX DC begins R05 and the label says "Made in Incheon" FWIW. D'Angelico's Excel and Deluxe lines are made in Korea. The Premier lines are made in Indonesia. EX SS is made in Korea. This is an interesting
    page on Samick serial numbers:

Serial Number | Samick Wikia | FANDOM powered by Wikia

Elseswhere on that site it says that the Samick guitar factory in Incheon was bought by former Samick employees who formed a company called SPG. The S in your serial number refers to SPG, not Samick.

John

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    The S in your serial number refers to SPG, not Samick.

John
    Are you sure about this? Samick was using the "S" way long before the creation of the SPG factory.

User Info Menu

Are you sure about this? Samick was using the "S" way long before the creation of the SPG factory.
    According to the site I linked to, the S was originally used by Samick, then SPG continued using the S for some number of years after they took over the factory from Samick. I'm not certain it's correct (the guy could just be MSU), but it seems pretty plausible to me.

John
    Last edited by John A.; 11-13-2018 at 03:07 PM.

User Info Menu

My EX DC begins R05 and the label says "Made in Incheon" FWIW. D'Angelico's Excel and Deluxe lines are made in Korea. The Premier lines are made in Indonesia. EX SS is made in Korea. This is an interesting
    page on Samick serial numbers:

Serial Number | Samick Wikia | FANDOM powered by Wikia

Elseswhere on that site it says that the Samick guitar factory in Incheon was bought by former Samick employees who formed a company called SPG. The S in your serial number refers to SPG, not Samick.

John
    Thanks for the reply, John. Much appreciated it.

My D'Angelico is EXL-1 (Excel Series) fyi

I've read here (one of the thread here, i forgot the title) that wrote US probably means Unsung. This made sense to me, I started to believe it.
    Well.. i thought unsung was in Korea then I googled it and many wrote Unsung is in China.
    I'm getting more confused.

If S in my serial number refers to SPG, what does the "U" refer to?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nadtorus
    Thanks for the reply, John. Much appreciated it.

My D'Angelico is EXL-1 (Excel Series) fyi

I've read here (one of the thread here, i forgot the title) that wrote US probably means Unsung. This made sense to me, I started to believe it.
    Well.. i thought unsung was in Korea then I googled it and many wrote Unsung is in China.
    I'm getting more confused.

If S in my serial number refers to SPG, what does the "U" refer to?
    I don't know. Googling around a bit, it looks like Unsung may have had factories in both countries, but they don't have a website, and references to them seem to pop up only on B2B sites and guitar forums. One site lists their CEO as Keyser Söze

John

User Info Menu

Odd that my Excel EX-SS (US serial number prefix) does not have the country it was made in marked on the git. I wonder how is D'Angelico getting around this?

From the U.S customs and border protection site:

"The United States (U.S.), marking statute, Section 304, Tariff Act of 1930, as amended (19 U.S.C. 1304) requires that, unless excepted, every article of foreign origin (or its container) imported into the U.S. shall be marked with its country of origin."

User Info Menu

Odd that my Excel EX-SS (US serial number prefix) does not have the country it was made in marked on the git. I wonder how is D'Angelico getting around this?

"The United States (U.S.), marking statute, Section 304, Tariff Act of 1930, as amended (19 U.S.C. 1304) requires that, unless excepted, every article of foreign origin (or its container) imported into the U.S. shall be marked with its country of origin."
    It may have had a "Made in Korea" sticker at some point, which suffices. Maybe the "Crafted in Incheon" label also counts. Also, the language says "or its container", which would have been the shipping box. I doubt they're getting around the rule.

John

User Info Menu

I don't know. Googling around a bit, it looks like Unsung may have had factories in both countries, but they don't have a website, and references to them seem to pop up only on B2B sites and guitar forums. One site lists their CEO as Keyser Söze

John

I actually emailed D'angelico Guitars several months ago and I didn't realised they replied me in August before i checked it 5 minutes ago!
    New Generation D'Angelico guitar serial number Need Help-1542173891703-jpg

New Generation D'Angelico guitar serial number Need Help-1542173956012-jpg
    May these help you guys, especially with the US Serial Number guitars..

I think you could just email them for the answers, and they pretty polite, kind and open about it. I wanna ask them more about where the KA mini humbucker pickup they used was made and if they use a real binding on their guitar or not, but i think I've asked them too much.
    Last edited by nadtorus; 11-14-2018 at 03:04 AM.

User Info Menu

My NYSD-9 has Vestax Corp. Tokyo signed H. Shin
    The serial number is 001053001.
    Can anyone help mewith that?
    Obviuosly I know hwre it was made but I'm thinking I have the first one ever made.

User Info Menu

looking for a hard case for a d"aneglico exl-1 what size should i look at , ever one talks Gibson sizes to me help , i have to save money

User Info Menu

I just got a response for mine, which is a US-6432, Premier DC, and I was told it was built in Indonesia on 2017. Hope it helps.
    I bought it used in Bologna, Italy, and brought it to Montevideo, Uruguay. What a way of travelling that guitar.

User Info Menu

Maybe I missed it, but would anyone know what factory the KS would be?