The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 69

User Info Menu

The new Metheny model, the PM2, is now becoming available. I phoned Guitar Guitar in my home town of Edinburgh, and they had just got delivery. They are putting it aside for me to pick up on Saturday. I'll give a review once I get my mits on it. I have high hopes for this one!

Thoughts on Ibanez PM2?-ibanez-pm2-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I'll do a proper review later. Have just spent two hours playing it at home. Happy to report that is a great guitar for the price, and I don't mean to offend anyone who owns these things, but it outshines all the other sub 1,000 dollars, pounds, euros, guitars by Ibanez, Epiphone and the like that I have tried. The only negative is that the "antique amber" is a bit more yellow than I care for, but hopefully it will dull a little in time.

The fingerboard - ebony - has no dead spots or wolf notes, and is easy to get around on. I hardly noticed it, which is a good sign. The pickup - Super 58 - will be familiar to many here, and it seems more than capable of getting a good jazz sound. One pickup only.

There is no pick guard - I thought I might miss having one, but it doesn't seem to be an issue. The pots work at all settings - no sudden cut outs or leaps in tone or volume. Smooth. Came with flats, which is fine with me.

It's completely hollow, but I don't play loud gigs, so that is not an issue for me. The acoustic sound is OK, but quite quiet. I do not intend it for acoustic use, but it's certainly loud enough to practice with.

What else can I say? Everything works as it should. Go get one!

User Info Menu

Pics...

Thoughts on Ibanez PM2?-4-jpg

Thoughts on Ibanez PM2?-4-jpg

User Info Menu

are the three cross bits on the tailpiece sharp ?

looks like you might catch your sleeve on those

looks lovely apart from that

User Info Menu

Congratulations of your beautiful new guitar! The only one I've seen in person actually looked rather bright yellower than yours, and yours actually looks rather rich here to me. (Plus maybe we're both unconsciously comparing it to the PM35, the PM2's predecessor, which is a much paler color.) That one PM2 I did manage to try played wonderfully, neck and balance-wise, but the electronics were broken, and it would only produce a buzz (this being a new guitar, too). So I moved on, soon after getting a beautiful PM35 instead—love it.

But I'll have to agree with the rest of your assessment in that these are definitely the best Artcore's I've managed to come across. I had played two other PM35s before, and they were clearly the nicest Artcores on the wall that day. In fact, even putting dollar-value aside, my PM35 leaves me not wanting for anything else when I play it, and it sounds like you're well on the way to the same with your PM2. Not a bad place to be!

One correction, though: these guitar's stock pickup is called the 'Super 58 Custom'. Big difference from the actual 'Super 58' pickup which is costlier and used only on a few very expensive Ibanezes (the Scofield and the new upper-end Benson models use 'Super 58s'.) Originally, the 'Super 58s' were usually found on older MIJ '80s Ibanezes as stock pickups (I have those on my AM205), and I believe that the current 'Super 58 Customs' are MIC.

Best of everything with your new guitar. May you have many years of great playing with it!

User Info Menu

pingu - I'll let you know if I ever need to sue Ibanez for a new shirt

ooglybong - Many thanks. Didn't know about the custom pickup version. Now I know that, this guitar is a piece of crap! Anyone want to buy it? Only kidding! I often upgrade pickups anyway, so it is only a matter of time before it gets a Gibson 57 or similar...But let's get things in perspective, this guitar for the price is fantastic. It's a shame the electronics were broken on the one you tried. I hope that's not common.

I'm curious about the pickup on the PM200 - the "Silent 58" - what's silent about it? I thought humbuckers were silent, certainly compared to single coils.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    I often upgrade pickups anyway, so it is only a matter of time before it gets a Gibson 57 or similar...
    To be fair, my used-but-mint PM35 came upgraded with a wonderful Harmonic Design PAF so I cannot respond to anything other than the HD pickup, but... For a recommendation, it's really, really nice. A nice, clear high end, not brittle to my ears at all but, even with the tone rolled all the way off, it still sounds great, still has presence and definition (although then, of course, it's really dark, very much a Metheny-esque tone, I'd say). Anyway, I've liked Metheny a lot (since waaay back on Bright Size Life), but my goal here was definitely more in getting a great guitar, not aping a fav guitarist. I'd tried a couple of nice PM35s over the years, passed, then regretted it. This one, though, is definitely the tops, esp with this pickup. Anyway, I bet that the PM35 and PM2 are pretty close in build and standards overall, and I'd highly recommend one of these Harmonic Design PAFs when and if you're ever in the market. (Pricey, though.) Best of everything with your PM2.

User Info Menu

I'm curious about the pickup on the PM200 - the "Silent 58" - what's silent about it? I thought humbuckers were silent, certainly compared to single coils.
    Congratulations for the new guitar.
    Regarding the Silent 58 PUs, those are the PUs mounted on the previous model pm120, the thinline version,
    which is now out of production, I guess, replaced by the new models PM200 and PM2.

I tried once the PM120 and liked it a lot. The Silent 58 PU is a rather dark PU.
    As far as I remember, I could get a very methenesque sound by rolling off the tone knob in the pm120.

User Info Menu

I admit, I do like the dark sound Metheny gets, also Jim Hall. The stock pickup is actually pretty good, and comes close. Really loving playing on this neck/fingerboard, and the acoustic sound is fine, so it might be worthwhile really getting the best pickup I can find for that dark sound.

User Info Menu

Wrote to Harmonic Design who said I might prefer the Z-90 instead - fat, dark, warm single coil in a humbucker...

User Info Menu

Wrote to Harmonic Design who said I might prefer the Z-90 instead - fat, dark, warm single coil in a humbucker...
    As I mentioned, my own Harmonic Design PAF already came installed on my PM35, so I didn't have the luxury that you do in making a decision. (Hope you don't suffer too much from Option Anxiety!) IMO, this PAF pickup of theirs comes as close as I'd ever 'need' for completing the Metheny equation (not that I need to be there, either), and turned down a bit it gets nice and rather more acoustic in nature, IMO, whereas some other humbuckers I've played do not so much. However you want to put it, I am definitely enjoying the range of both controls on my PM35 with this HD pickup.

But then, the P-90 alternative might tend to get you more toward Jim Hall's earlier sound instead, say, roughly pre-1970, when (IIRC) he was still using a P-90 in his ES-175. After that point (Jim Hall Live), he was using a humbucker in his ES-175, and certainly by the time he got to his D'Aquisto. Time to give a listen thru his discography I guess, a fun task to be sure!

Hmm. Gotta try me a P-90 on an archtop someday...

User Info Menu

Well. I guess a Gibson '57 Classic should also do the trick.

Hey Rob, how is life in Edinburgh! I lived in Scotland for 2 years and 8 months (2003-2005).
    I used to go to a pub for Jam Sessions every monday night. I think the pub was called Eighty Queen Street.
    Jam Sessions were started by the house's band led by a brilliant pianist whose name was Patrick, as far as I remember.

User Info Menu

Good post, oogly. What sold me on the Z90 (and I have completed the order) is the single-coil - albeit in a humbucker casing. I do like the pop and bite of a single coil. It is also almost half the price of the humbucker, which is a bonus. We shall see...

Now, must dig out those old Jim Hall recordings...

BTW, Bill Frisell also opted for the Z90 for "that big, full sound". But I like your comment about Option Anxiety! Certainly applies here.

User Info Menu

Good post, oogly. What sold me on the Z90 (and I have completed the order) is the single-coil - albeit in a humbucker casing. I do like the pop and bite of a single coil. It is also almost half the price of the humbucker, which is a bonus. We shall see... Now, must dig out those old Jim Hall recordings...
    Half the price for a Harmonic Design P-90? Oh, nooo... Now I'm going to want to finally do one as an experiment given how much I like their PAF. My problem now is which guitar do I put it in? I always buy a guitar based on how I like it *as it is*, not for how much I'd like to change out the pickup. Now which guitar do I decide gets the knife, so to speak? Talk about Option Anxiety. Oh, noooo....

Hey, I'm glad my recommendation alerted you to the small company. You've probably noticed by now, but, for those who haven't, their slogan is "We never heard of you either." I get a big kick out of that!

User Info Menu

So, today in a local store I saw an Ibanez AF151, and it occurred to me that other than in looks, it is virtually the same guitar as the PM2. Both have identical woods (neck, body, fretboard) and dimensions, and a single Super 58 custom PUP. Differences are looks (AF151: flame; PM2: plain), tailpiece (both wire, but in different shape), and fingerrest (AF151: yes; PM2: no). The only other substantial difference is that the PM2 has 2 more frets, so the PUP will be about half an inch further toward the bridge than on the AF151. Prices in the UK are comparable. I must say that the AF151 looked even "redder" than on the images; I personally prefer the more understated looks of the PM2... anyone had a chance to compare them side by side?

N.

User Info Menu

I could have gone for either one, as, indeed, the specs are close. Although I'm finding the "antique amber" a little too yellow, I don't think I could live with a very fiery red thing sitting in my living room! It does look nice in the pictures, but I've also seen a VERY red one in a store. But someone else might love it. Both fine guitars for the price.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neuroscan
    So, today in a local store I saw an Ibanez AF151, and it occurred to me that other than in looks, it is virtually the same guitar as the PM2. Both have identical woods (neck, body, fretboard) and dimensions, and a single Super 58 custom PUP. Differences are looks (AF151: flame; PM2: plain), tailpiece (both wire, but in different shape), and fingerrest (AF151: yes; PM2: no). The only other substantial difference is that the PM2 has 2 more frets, so the PUP will be about half an inch further toward the bridge than on the AF151. Prices in the UK are comparable. I must say that the AF151 looked even "redder" than on the images; I personally prefer the more understated looks of the PM2... anyone had a chance to compare them side by side?
    Well... I have seen and "tried" one of each (in two different stores), but unfortunately, both were actually non-operative electronically right out of the box. I was SO disappointed. The PM2 just had a *loud* buzz, and the AF151 had a totally dead bridge pickup. IIRC, the 151's neck PU "worked" but I found it to be an unnaturally bright tone no matter how I set it on guitar or amp (something I associated with the bridge PU being out, possibly indicating a global screw-up). Disappointed, I didn't bother with them much acoustically, although I do remember the PM2 playing rather well unplugged for those few minutes but that the AF151 was quite unimpressive. Sorry I can't tell you more there.

FWIW, the AF151 did seem (IMO) very bright in color, even garish. The PM2 that I played was really quite yellow, but Rob's looks much better and rather nice. (He should forget the spray paint, IMO!)

By the way, another member here, TruthHertz, worked for Ibanez for some time and has stated here in this recent thread (#8) that they're not quite as similar as one would think...

Ibanez AF151 & Ibanez PM2--Finish aside, They appear to be the same?

Hope this helps somehow.

User Info Menu

That was an interesting comment from TrueHertz, so, thanks for the link.

I'm getting a nice sound from the pickup through just a THR5 amp. I keep the tone pot on the bass side, sometimes adding a very small amount of treble for definition. Today I played some folk-rock guitar with a student, with the tone half way, and we were both very impressed. But beyond that half way mark, I'm not keen on the treble sound at all...but I have a Tele to cover that when I need it (rare).

If I get time this weekend, I'll make a video. I'll be replacing the pickup in three or four weeks' time, so it would be good to have a before and after reference.

User Info Menu

I could have gone for either one, as, indeed, the specs are close. Although I'm finding the "antique amber" a little too yellow, I don't think I could live with a very fiery red thing sitting in my living room! It does look nice in the pictures, but I've also seen a VERY red one in a store. But someone else might love it. Both fine guitars for the price.
    Amber that is too amber--red that's too red! The Ibanez finishing department needs to cut down on the recreational herbs! In an effort to "mellow some of the harsh", I added a ebony pickgard/finger-rest to my AF151:
    PS: I have yet to have even seen a PM2 here in the USA!

User Info Menu

Much better, Helios. It calms it down somewhat. Quite like it now. Are you staying with the stock pickup?

User Info Menu

I'm getting a nice sound from the pickup through just a THR5 amp. I keep the tone pot on the bass side, sometimes adding a very small amount of treble for definition. Today I played some folk-rock guitar with a student, with the tone half way, and we were both very impressed. But beyond that half way mark, I'm not keen on the treble sound at all...but I have a Tele to cover that when I need it (rare).
    Interesting. We both have "PM" guitars and Yamahas, too. I happen to have a THR10 amp that I bought more as a tiny take-it-anywhere amp, and so far I'm pretty happy with it in the limited use I've made of it so far. I really like its rock/fusion sounds with a solid body, but interestingly, I also found that the "Flat" setting gives a pretty good jazz sound, IMO, more or less like a simple solid-state amp. No one seems to mention that Flat setting in reviews and videos. YMMV, of course, but I liked Flat for jazz even better than the cleanest modeled preset.

User Info Menu

Much better, Helios. It calms it down somewhat. Quite like it now. Are you staying with the stock pickup?
    Hi Rob,
    It has a Lindy Fralin Pure PAF (7.75K) in it now, and I'll likely stay with that. The Super 58 I measured to be 7.25K, yet it sounded darker to me. I have the complete stock wiring assembly in tact, and at some time when I change strings, I'll swap the assemblies to see if I've been missing out on anything tonally. Jeff

User Info Menu

Definitely a major upgrade there, Helios. Very, very nice! Funny, but, for some reason, Ibanez pickguards usually seem to just look "wrong" to me—either too big, or two colorful, or too much shape' to them. In almost every case, I'd prefer them either taken off or replaced with something simpler and smaller.

Talk about colors, well, here's another color (not so bright) I just saw at the Ibanez site...

Thoughts on Ibanez PM2?-ibanez-af255bm-jpg
    ...and it even has a black pickguard. Still too large, IMO, but it's an improvement. Possibly add a tailpiece like Helios' and either take off the pickguard (maybe not) and replace it with a smaller Benedetto-style little one.

I don't recall seeing this at the Ibanez site before. Is this a new model/color? It gets a AF255BM designation, but the only differences I can see, build-wise, are wooden knobs and a burled top. Hmm. I know some folks have it out against blue guitars, but I actually kind of like it...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by helios
    Amber that is too amber--red that's too red! The Ibanez finishing department needs to cut down on the recreational herbs! In an effort to "mellow some of the harsh", I added a ebony pickgard/finger-rest to my AF151:
    PS: I have yet to have even seen a PM2 here in the USA!

Lovely upgrade, and a big improvement over the stock look, IMO. Nice photos, too.

I once played a used Yamaha AEX1500 that someone had "upgraded" with what I noted seemed to be a Benedetto-type tailpiece (with a nylon cord stretched around the strap pin, etc.). I thought that the guitar sounded and felt awfully dead (and I attributed that to the tailpiece tension in the equation), but later acquired the same guitar but in stock condition with original metal tailpiece; it feels and sounds absolutely stellar. So my question here is: your tailpiece appears to be a wood piece mounted over an metal tailpiece structure (therefore, an apparent substitute for the guitar's original hardware structure). Does it feel and sound the same as before? If you don't mind sharing, where did you get the tailpiece and pick guard? Did you also upgrade the bridge inserts with graph-tech, etc?

FWIW, I have seen a PM2 locally, but I had to ask the dealer to make a point of getting one in when he was ordering. (His strategy was to stick with even less expensive Ibanezes to begin with, sales-wise.) I went down when they came in, but it was electronically dead right out of the box and he said he'd be sending it back for another. No call back yet but (that's that dealer). Plus the yellow was pretty garish, so I passed.

User Info Menu

I have a PM-2 and its a great guitar, very nice neck. The only thing is you have to like yellow guitars. The aged natural finish on the D'Angelico EXL-1 nails it, the PM-2 is just yellow. Rick