The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 34 of 34

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gavinashun
    Yeah, you know, I realized after I posted that my specs are almost exactly ES-175 specs ... maybe the answer is staring me in the face. I don't know - I've played a half dozen ES-175's in stores and always thought they were "good" but to be honest I liked them less than the Epiphone Joe Pass Emperor 2 that I've owned for many years. That said, I think I've only played recent reissues and I'm not sure if I've played a nice quality vintage one. So maybe I should seek that out first or a nice custom shop one, just to see if that is actually what I'm looking for.
    You are used to a guitar that is lively and many modern 175's are pretty dead (they are built for volume playing). I would suggest looking at vintage (pre 1965) examples. Joe pass played a 62.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    You are used to a guitar that is lively and many modern 175's are pretty dead (they are built for volume playing). I would suggest looking at vintage (pre 1965) examples. Joe pass played a 62.

Love that album. Yes, the words I would use for the acoustic sound of the ES-175's that I've played would be "dull" "dead" "not compelling," whereas words I would use for the JP Emperor 2 would be "lively", "a nice hybrid of bright yet rich," "good clarity," "full yet not overly dark."

But yeah, I have almost definitely played some crappy recent reissue Guitar Center 175's. Sounds like it would be really smart for me to find some pre '65 175's to see what those feel/sound like.

User Info Menu

Yeah, you know, I realized after I posted that my specs are almost exactly ES-175 specs ... maybe the answer is staring me in the face. I don't know - I've played a half dozen ES-175's in stores and always thought they were "good" but to be honest I liked them less than the Epiphone Joe Pass Emperor 2 that I've owned for many years. That said, I think I've only played recent reissues and I'm not sure if I've played a nice quality vintage one. So maybe I should seek that out first or a nice custom shop one, just to see if that is actually what I'm looking for.
    The extra body depth on an ES-175 is no joke. You definitely notice it, especially if you play standing.

User Info Menu

Several reasons: (1) the nut size size + scale size is what I've been playing for 10 years on my Epiphone Joe Pass Emperor II and I know I love those dimensions, (2) I play out and amplified a fair amount (or used to and hope to again soon!) and so feedback minimization is very important to me, hence the laminate and fixed pup spec. The dot inlays is just because I've never had a guitar that didn't have that, so I'm used it it - but I'm sure that would be fine changing, so that is less of a big deal.
    Are you sure about what you're saying about laminate? I wouldn't be to the extent of considering a sine qua non feature.

And regarding "for you to make a guitar is just like to make a meal choosing things from a menu." What is wrong with this? If I'm paying 5K, I don't think it is unreasonable to want to chose get the specs I prefer? What is weird about that?
    That's because having all those specs doesn't guarantee to have a good-sounding instrument. All guitar makers have certain designs that work pretty well, and maybe having all your wishes might ultimately negatively affect the outcome.

My late uncle used to make classical guitars for the elite of classic, folklore and tango players in Argentina. I grew up watching him working and hearing all those players play his prototypes, their finished instruments and the discussion about making'em. That's why I know that certain specs, although possible to do, are not always beneficial.

And who is Mr. Wu?!?!
    New Build With Mr Wu

That'll give you a little idea about what he's able to do. Do a search about other players commenting on their Wu instruments in this very forum.

User Info Menu

Pretty much every builder will make you a guitar with ES-175 specs with only one pickup if asked. What do you dislike about your current Epi? If you prefer it against some 175s you 've played, the same can easily happen with most other guitars as well..

User Info Menu

I agree with what Alter is going after with that question. What's a "high end archtop" to you? Is it just one that costs more money? Or are there specific qualities related to tone, feel, build precision, etc. that you are seeking? Matching physical specs is not a recipe for achieving more than a general ballpark (which is still valid, but might not be adequate basis for emptying one's wallet).

User Info Menu

The Boys for sale right now should be your huckleberry. It's a helluva guitar.

User Info Menu

I'm going to put in another vote for the Borys. I know a few really first rate jazz guitarists who play them and their dedication to them and to Roger is really inspiring. I have looked at the one on this site with a lot of lust ever since it first appeared. I can't really afford it. We have no home. We've been travelling in Mexico for 6 months in a small car and we're probably about to do the same in Canada for another several months. The rational part of me says that I can't possibly even think about it and yet I've still considered buying it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Soloway
    I have looked at the one on this site with a lot of lust ever since it first appeared. I can't really afford it. The rational part of me says that I can't possibly even think about it and yet I've still considered buying it.
    I think you are among many of us.