Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 21 of 21
  1. #1

    User Info Menu

    Hi everybody.
    I'm new here.
    Can anyone tell me the difference between the Ibanez As153 and the As200 apart from the obvious?
    It looks as thought both guitars are the same apart from hardware and electrics.

  2.  

    The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
     
  3. #2

    User Info Menu

    They both follow the same template design, that is the dimensional specs are very similar. But Ibanez uses several factories to build their line and where they're built and what hardware is matched to it will make quite a difference in the feel especially when plugged in. That being said, the build quality across the line especially at the upper end of the lines will give you a really good instrument either way.
    The neck contours differ in ways that can't be described on paper so if at all possible, do put your hands on them both.

    For many, the high quality of the artstars is quite good enough to meet the musical challenges of just about any situation the 200 would be asked to fill, and to some, the fit and joy of working with the feel of a top line Ibanez makes a keeper if you've got the money.

    I've certainly had lower line models, an AS-93 that I wanted specific electronics for, a duncan pickup. It was a great match for me and one that gave me a feel and sound I would have taken over the stock 200. But then again that was while I was working at Ibanez and I had my own AS200 already so there was no GAS issue.

    Do try them both if you can. And know your needs. Both are very respectable guitars.

    David

  4. #3

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by TruthHertz View Post
    They both follow the same template design, that is the dimensional specs are very similar. But Ibanez uses several factories to build their line and where they're built and what hardware is matched to it will make quite a difference in the feel especially when plugged in. That being said, the build quality across the line especially at the upper end of the lines will give you a really good instrument either way.
    The neck contours differ in ways that can't be described on paper so if at all possible, do put your hands on them both.

    For many, the high quality of the artstars is quite good enough to meet the musical challenges of just about any situation the 200 would be asked to fill, and to some, the fit and joy of working with the feel of a top line Ibanez makes a keeper if you've got the money.

    I've certainly had lower line models, an AS-93 that I wanted specific electronics for, a duncan pickup. It was a great match for me and one that gave me a feel and sound I would have taken over the stock 200. But then again that was while I was working at Ibanez and I had my own AS200 already so there was no GAS issue.

    Do try them both if you can. And know your needs. Both are very respectable guitars.

    David
    What Duncan pickup did you switch to in your AS 93? I’m thinking of putting a Seth Lover in my 153.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  5. #4

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by vashondan View Post
    What Duncan pickup did you switch to in your AS 93? I’m thinking of putting a Seth Lover in my 153.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I put a '59 in there. I do love the Seth Lover and the Antiquities. At the time I did that replacement, I don't think the Lover was a part of their line up and since I've installed it I had a chance to compare them. They're both really good. I like just a hint of "bite" and high end in my sound, I play with nails, I like the vibe of the acoustic attack so even now I would choose the 59 for myself.
    Mellow warm and classic jazzy, the Seth Lover is a sweet pickup. Yeah, there's just more I can do with a 59's sound. It's all a matter of what makes the instrument that melds with your personality. Know your own instrument too. I worked for Ibanez and even with the same specs, some necks gave a slightly darker sound than others; it's wood afterall. On a bright guitar, I'd tame it with rolled off highs (Lover) and on a darker soft mahogany rosewood combo (my favourite) the '59 high frequency curve can make a nice match.
    NEVER take my word though, I'm one guy and I'm very opinionated to my tastes.
    David

  6. #5

    User Info Menu

    @TruthHertz - Thanks. I'm looking for the warm and jazzy for the Ibanez. My Teles do the rest.

  7. #6

    User Info Menu

    Ibanez's Super 58's sound great too...if available in either the AS200 or AS153. They're potted A2's I believe, similar to Duncan 59's and Gibson Classic 57's. I like them as much as unpotted Seths.

  8. #7

    User Info Menu

    They don't come in the 153. Its a Super 58 Custom. I've read lots of positive reviews for the straight 58's though. Just ordered the Seth's. We'll see how it goes.

  9. #8

    User Info Menu

    The AS153 is the made in china artstar model, while the AS200 is the made in japan prestige model

  10. #9
    Many thanks for your informative reply Dave.

  11. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Lobomov View Post
    The AS153 is the made in china artstar model, while the AS200 is the made in japan prestige model
    A bit like a Mexican Strat. compared to an American Strat?

  12. #11

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by j.b. View Post
    A bit like a Mexican Strat. compared to an American Strat?
    Yeah ... something like that

  13. #12

    User Info Menu

    I briefly owned an AS-200 but sent it back due to shipping damage. I also owned an AS-153 during that time (both blondes) which I still have and I played them both quite a bit in the few days I had the 200.

    That said I didn't find the AS-200 any better made than the AS-153. For my needs I did not think the AS-200 had "better" sound just different, nor did it play any better than the 153. For my money, I don't think the AS-200 is worth (comparing used for used) the 2x to 3x the cost over an AS-153. As a matter of fact before spending $1700 and up on a 200 I'd sooner chase tone with pup swapping on a 153 if I felt it necessary.

    One thing I like about all of the older AS models is the top mounted jack, I can put it into its case while plugged into the amp. Not a feature worth more than double the price of a 153 but it is handy.

    PS, I have no problem with Mexican made Fenders either.
    Regards,

    Gary

  14. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by GNAPPI View Post
    I briefly owned an AS-200 but sent it back due to shipping damage. I also owned an AS-153 during that time (both blondes) which I still have and I played them both quite a bit in the few days I had the 200.

    That said I didn't find the AS-200 any better made than the AS-153. For my needs I did not think the AS-200 had "better" sound just different, nor did it play any better than the 153. For my money, I don't think the AS-200 is worth (comparing used for used) the 2x to 3x the cost over an AS-153. As a matter of fact before spending $1700 and up on a 200 I'd sooner chase tone with pup swapping on a 153 if I felt it necessary.

    One thing I like about all of the older AS models is the top mounted jack, I can put it into its case while plugged into the amp. Not a feature worth more than double the price of a 153 but it is handy.

    PS, I have no problem with Mexican made Fenders either.
    Cheers Gary.
    Thanks for your input.

    Regards,
    John

  15. #14

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by GNAPPI View Post
    I'd sooner chase tone with pup swapping on a 153 if I felt it necessary.

    There has been many threads about the china super 58s vs the japan super 58s. Despite Ibanez using the same name, they are not the same pups

  16. #15

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Lobomov View Post
    >>SNIP<<Despite Ibanez using the same name, they are not the same pups
    For sure, but I never said they were the same, but I have no preference for one over the other. I have two genuine MIJ Super 58's for a long time here waiting to get installed, so far I haven't found a git that I wanted them in.
    Regards,

    Gary

  17. #16

    User Info Menu

    I have a 153 with Seths I installed immediately after purchase. It went from being a very good guitar to an excellent one. I’m having to sell some guitars to pay for an ES275 I just bought and the 153 was on that list, but I can’t bring myself to let go of it. It does everything so well and since, with the Seths, it cost me a little over $1200 I would be crazy to sell it. I highly recommend getting one and replacing the pickups with either Duncans, Lollars, or any other boutique pickups that float your boat.

  18. #17

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by GNAPPI View Post
    For sure, but I never said they were the same, but I have no preference for one over the other. I have two genuine MIJ Super 58's for a long time here waiting to get installed, so far I haven't found a git that I wanted them in.
    No no ... I just wanted to clarify ... it was pretty obvious that you knew the difference

  19. #18

    User Info Menu

    Agree with Gary here. I have original super 58s on my 1981 AS200, which I love as much as the PAFs on my 1961 ES175.
    I also have Made in China Super 58s on my AR420, and they give me one of the best out of phase Peter Green tones I've ever encountered. Two different sounds from two different pickups. Both great.

  20. #19

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by TruthHertz View Post
    They both follow the same template design, that is the dimensional specs are very similar. But Ibanez uses several factories to build their line and where they're built and what hardware is matched to it will make quite a difference in the feel especially when plugged in. That being said, the build quality across the line especially at the upper end of the lines will give you a really good instrument either way.
    The neck contours differ in ways that can't be described on paper so if at all possible, do put your hands on them both.

    For many, the high quality of the artstars is quite good enough to meet the musical challenges of just about any situation the 200 would be asked to fill, and to some, the fit and joy of working with the feel of a top line Ibanez makes a keeper if you've got the money.

    I've certainly had lower line models, an AS-93 that I wanted specific electronics for, a duncan pickup. It was a great match for me and one that gave me a feel and sound I would have taken over the stock 200. But then again that was while I was working at Ibanez and I had my own AS200 already so there was no GAS issue.

    Do try them both if you can. And know your needs. Both are very respectable guitars.

    David
    Do the AS153 use real mahogany?
    I have an AS73 with DM Air Classic Set, I love it. I want to know if the difference will be substantial because of the ebony and mahogany.
    The AS73 has a substitute of the mahogany and a middle to low quality rosewood. The ebony will give more attack, so a different tone, I guess with more lows and definition (highend).
    Or the differences are mainly due to esthetics details (inlays, flamed maple, etc) and hardware? Thanks!

  21. #20

    User Info Menu

    Do the AS153 use real mahogany?
    I have an AS73 with DM Air Classic Set, I love it. I want to know if the difference will be substantial because of the ebony and mahogany.
    The AS73 has a substitute of the mahogany and a middle to low quality rosewood. The ebony will give more attack, so a different tone, I guess with more lows and definition (highend).
    Or the differences are mainly due to esthetics details (inlays, flamed maple, etc) and hardware? Thanks!

  22. #21

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Fhede View Post
    Do the AS153 use real mahogany?
    I have an AS73 with DM Air Classic Set, I love it. I want to know if the difference will be substantial because of the ebony and mahogany.
    The AS73 has a substitute of the mahogany and a middle to low quality rosewood. The ebony will give more attack, so a different tone, I guess with more lows and definition (highend).
    Or the differences are mainly due to esthetics details (inlays, flamed maple, etc) and hardware? Thanks!
    By "real mahogany" do you mean pallet grade, furniture grade or some similar species conveniently "labeled" mahogany? :-)

    The AS-153's I have and have handled have a 3 piece (mahogany/maple/mahogany) neck. The wood selection on mine is rather lightly colored. I don't believe color or density affects sound, it's just likely a lesser expensive selection.
    Regards,

    Gary