• Position 5 (dull options, I know...)

12 10.43%
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 86

User Info Menu

Gibson ES-175 - Strap Button Poll-ts0055a-jpg

Very simple poll...
    I need to add a strap button to my 175 and wondered what the most common place would be.

This picture is from a Dan Erlewine article at Stewmac - may interest you:
    Where's the best spot for your strap button? | stewmac.com

So let's hear it. Plus your experience with the guitar body tilting forward, stress on guitar cases, etc.

Cheers!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

This poll could also apply to the new ES-275. I still can't decide where to put it on mine. I had one at position 4 on my Johnny Smith and it worked quite well.

User Info Menu

My ES-175 came to me at #2, but my other archtop hollow guitars are at #3 and #4. I guessed wrong where I thought they were; showing that when I play, I can't detect any difference in strap location between the guitars.

I also have an Epiphone ES-175 Premium with a #1 but it has a slight tendency to tilt forward.
    I'm guessing that #3 would be the best position to cure that - but I need to be sure that the neck block is wide enough to support the weight in that area...

User Info Menu

I had a strap button added to my AR910ce in position 5, I didn't want to go into the body. It works great, I even use the strap when sitting, keeps the guitar against my body.

Quote Originally Posted by ESCC
    I had a strap button added to my AR910ce in position 5, I didn't want to go into the body. It works great, I even use the strap when sitting, keeps the guitar against my body.
    Here's Dan Erlewine's note:

Position #5 is the most popular choice among my customers. With the strap wrapping down under the heel, you'll like the way it pulls the guitar toward you. Surprisingly enough, it isn’t much in the way of your fretting hand either.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ESCC
    I would think 5 would make the guitar "roll away" from you(?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    Woody, that has not been my experience . . . maybe if I was more svelte

User Info Menu

#3 is Best Position.

Point is with a
    felt washer

To stop the strap button screw vibrating loose

Gibson ES-175 - Strap Button Poll-2023081611590000-jpg
    Last edited by kawa; 08-19-2023 at 01:54 PM. Reason: Title was?disappeared

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    Hi Woody - my first ES175 had the button in position 5 when I bought it - no issues with the guitar rolling away
    My current 175 has it in position 2 - again no issues

Funnily enough, the guidance given by Martin is position 5, and that is where I have put the button on my two Martin acoustics (6 and 12 string) - again no "falling away"

User Info Menu

Most I've had were in positions 2 or 4... never a problem with either.

User Info Menu

I have #4 on my Tal and it works quite well.

User Info Menu

I have had guitars come to me an all five positions. 2 is my preference by far.

User Info Menu

Put mine at 5,only a little close to the 4 position.Works fine.

User Info Menu

3 but you should have enough wood under there
    I added a small block behind when I did mine

No too difficult , guitar hangs right , and
    nothing too get in the way of your LH

User Info Menu

My preference has always been position 1

User Info Menu

I considered doing them all,but figured I wouldn't be able to get the guitar in the case,LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Ray175
    Hi Woody - my first ES175 had the button in position 5 when I bought it - no issues with the guitar rolling away
    My current 175 has it in position 2 - again no issues

Funnily enough, the guidance given by Martin is position 5, and that is where I have put the button on my two Martin acoustics (6 and 12 string) - again no "falling away"
    Took the subject to my guitar tech today and he told me that if a client does not specify a particular location he'll most probably will go with #5. And he confirmed that the feeling is bit unexpected and that the guitar is drawn to you rather than being prone to tilting.

I need to make th same decision for my recently aquired es-175. #2 is where i will put mine

User Info Menu

3 is the only place I really like, but I’ve done 5 and it’s ok.

User Info Menu

I don’t have a button have the Gibson deluxe strap and the Martin thing that goes around head stock. Is perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

I bought an old L-7C that already had one at position 5. It got in my way when I used the cutaway to get to the high frets so I had it removed. My preference is position 1 or 2. I have a 175 that already had one at position 4, I think it's ugly there but it works and it's not in the way so I've left it.

Jonathan

User Info Menu

I considered adding a strap button on my 165 a long time ago but really didn't want to take the risk of getting it wrong. I tried the strap to headstock method and didn't particularly like the balance of that. In the end I just looped a shoelace under the end of the fingerboard and tied the strap to it. This has been my arrangement for the last 25 years, it seems to adjust naturally to a comfortable playing position and is very inconspicuous.
    It is also an economical and non-invasive solution.

User Info Menu

I tried the headstock thing but it just felt awkward.

Quote Originally Posted by stoneground
    I considered adding a strap button on my 165 a long time ago but really didn't want to take the risk of getting it wrong. I tried the strap to headstock method and didn't particularly like the balance of that. In the end I just looped a shoelace under the end of the fingerboard and tied the strap to it. This has been my arrangement for the last 25 years, it seems to adjust naturally to a comfortable playing position and is very inconspicuous.
    It is also an economical and non-invasive solution.
    Thanks for your post.

Because of it I was able to realistically test position #5 (although it would be easy to try #4, too).

I could see me going with this solution alone - but I'm still a bit afraid that this could pose a risk to the neck/body area. But I read you've been doing it for 25 years!

Thanks again, Sir.

Gibson ES-175 - Strap Button Poll-img_20180317_221817-01-jpg