• Position 4

26 22.61%
  • Position 5 (dull options, I know...)

12 10.43%
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 86

User Info Menu

My 2016 175 does not have a heel cap. Design or factory forgetfulness?
    Attached Images Attached Images Gibson ES-175 - Strap Button Poll-2f06748f-3022-4e67-850f-7b326fe965d4-jpg 

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Gibson ES-175 guitars did not have heel caps.

User Info Menu

After posting earlier, I have to add that my Sadowsky has it from the factory at #3 (on the rim), and it's always been comfortable.

User Info Menu

No strap and no strap button.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    I've posted pictures in another thread, but I guess another won't hurt. It's pretty much identical to Stoneground's.
    Attachment 51681
    How well does this minimize headstock tilt? I just moved my Godin from position 3 to position 5 because I find it does the most to keep the guitar in its natural playing position, but this looks intriguing.

User Info Menu

I don't know. I still don't have a strap button on that guitar, so I have nothing to compare it to. But the strap pull is at, or at least very close to, where it would be with a strap pin. I don't think there is any real difference, and the guitar balances well.

User Info Menu

Position 5 on mine. My 175 came without one stock, and several years went by, so when I felt the urge to put a strap button, I asked my luthier, and his advice was position 5, with both tonal and mechanical advantages -so he said.
    Gibson ES-175 - Strap Button Poll-img_9917-jpgGibson ES-175 - Strap Button Poll-img_9918-jpg

User Info Menu

Just picked up an (almost) mint condition 1977, es-175 natural. Got it under market value. Plays like butter sounds like a dream and the strap button is in position #4. Seems like it was just sitting in someone's collection for forty years. Quick question:

Can anyone recommend some larger/safer strap buttons? These are so small that my strap keeps slipping off. I definitely do not want to drop this beauty - she's my new number one!

Thanks

Rhizomeman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rhizomeman
    Quick question:

Can anyone recommend some larger/safer strap buttons? These are so small that my strap keeps slipping off. I definitely do not want to drop this beauty - she's my new number one!

Thanks

Rhizomeman
    No need to change the button, just use a cheap and easy trick to secure the strap in place:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pacordes
    Position 5 on mine. My 175 came without one stock, and several years went by, so when I felt the urge to put a strap button, I asked my luthier, and his advice was position 5, with both tonal and mechanical advantages -so he said.
    I'm most curios what the tonal and mechanical advantages would be ..... any idea? Tonal i don't know, but the location would be a disadvantage to me, hindering the left hand/arm to move freely in some extreme playing situations. Also it's exactly in the place where i would grab the guitar when taking it from the stand to strap it on.

User Info Menu

I don't know about "most common", but position 4 is my preferred position even though it can make upper fret access a bit cumbersome for certain grips. I find the overall security and guitar position of that position make up for it though. I happened onto this finding by accident when my Hopkins Contessa (now sold) came to me that way when I bought it used; I subsequently had my strap moved there on my main laminate jazzbox.

User Info Menu

Surely 3 must be best ?

out of the way of your hand
    guitar hangs neutrally

whats not to like ?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pingu
    Surely 3 must be best ?

out of the way of your hand
    guitar hangs neutrally

whats not to like ?
    Screwing into a very thin piece of wood.

User Info Menu

Use a felt washer.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by customxke
    Screwing into a very thin piece of wood.
    True ....
    (I) just put a small block of wood behind there ....

User Info Menu

True. A small block holds the screw in place, and spreads the force to a larger area. Easily done with some monofilament line, through the rim, up through an f hole, and through the block, then pulled into place with a little glue on the block, and then screwed securely. I like something like 6 pound test, because it's thin and the screw threads usually cut it in the hole. If not it's easily snipped.

User Info Menu

None if the above! Go Wes Montgomery style with leather shoelace or strap and botton around the headstock

User Info Menu

I put buttons in positions 2, 4 and 5 on a guitar to test.

Positions 4 and 5 feel more snug than position 2. 5 is slightly more snug than 4. 2 (also presumably 1) has a slight tendency to tilt forward. Position 2 is still very usable. I have guitars with buttons in position 2, no problems. But there is a slight advantage from steadiness point of view to positions 4 and 5 IMO.

The drawback of #4 and #5, as some pointed out, is they can make access to high frets a little more difficult. But after a while you don't notice it.

Strap buttons in positions 1 and 2 stick out when you put the guitar in its case.

User Info Menu

So what do you call this position?
    Gibson ES-175 - Strap Button Poll-d55efba7-bd2a-438b-abfe-6ca8a522bfe7-png

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Nils
    I used that position in one of my guitars. It's the most snug fit standing up. But it's also the position that gets in the way most when reaching higher frets.

I see the strap button position as a tradeoff between snug-ness (the tendency of the guitar to turn towards your body as opposed to away from your body) and high fret access.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Nils
    I call that “unsecure”unless using a strap lock. That looks like an accident waiting to happen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Yeah, it sort of defies gravity - or not, as it happens…

User Info Menu

I recently went through this for my Heritage H575. I went with #4 as I felt it would be the strongest spot and be less apt for the strap to slip off. I'm happy with how it feels there but it does slightly get in the way when playing the highest frets. Nothing that I won't get used to though. My old Eastman ar372 had spot #1 and I liked it though my strap would slip off somewhat easily. If I were to do it again, I'd decide between #4 and #2.

User Info Menu

I am a number 3 kind of guy. Just make sure there is a block of wood built-in for support..

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    Gibson ES-175 guitars did not have heel caps.
    Mine does

Gibson ES-175 - Strap Button Poll-8818b55c-54e3-49ab-9afc-7c5a574f03f7-jpgGibson ES-175 - Strap Button Poll-cfa457b4-92f5-43f1-9495-15e7b600994e-jpg